Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cayman
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an 8.3 wk old male dobe. He just got his ears cropped Friday (July 10). Everytime I post his ears, whatever I used to put in his ear keep coming out. I used tampons and they worked for about 2 days. I think that is the best so far but can y'all recommend me any other post styles that stay in and make it where I don't have to repost every 2 days? And btw he has a crop that is a touch under the medium crop. Thx

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You got them cropped on Friday? You shouldn't be posting at all. You need to wait until the stitches are taken out, then wait until the ears are fully healed. That's why they usually put a cone or something on their head.

·
Got mutt?
13,773 Posts
If he had his ears done on Friday, he shouldn't even be in posts yet. They should be either secured to a cup or foam bock, glued over the head, or even just hanging, but not posted. You never want to tape over the freshly cut, unhealed edges. Once the stiches are out, and the edges are completely healed, try using the method here. http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ok well can i leave them posted over night then do the cup thing tomorrow? @rosemary
I wouldn't do that. If they're posted over freshly cropped ears that means they are perfect breeding grounds for infection (dark, moist area with no ventilation) and may take longer to heal. You don't need the cup if he didn't get one. Just leave them down until the stitches are out and until the ear is fully healed.

(The cup thing is often just so they don't scratch out their stitches or accidentally rip them out while giving them the benefit of being completely stretched/aired out).

Courtesy of facebook, this is what nicely healed ears should look like, and they shouldn't be posted before looking like this AFTER the sutures are out.

·
Cayman
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys! Thank you so much. But will they still stand if I take the posts out now and wait til they heal? Thx!! And why shouldn't I do it before they are healed?

·
Got mutt?
13,773 Posts
If you tape over the edges before they are healed, you are setting your pup up for an infection. At only 8 weeks, you've got plenty of time to post. Most pups need to be posted through teething. Some need to be posted until they are a year or more old.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Ok guys! Thank you so much. But will they still stand if I take the posts out now and wait til they heal? Thx!! And why shouldn't I do it before they are healed?
Because fresh cuts with stitches do not heal when covered with medical tape. All it will do will cause an infection. If it causes an infection, you risk losing the ear. There was someone who posted with cut edges and one their dogs ears fell OFF. like, it was so infected, the tissue died and the ear fell off. It had to be sowed back on - it may never stand. This was because they covered the cut edges and didn't let the ears heal before posting. Go back a few threads and you'll see the photos. This just happened! Your vet is also clueless if they are posting with fresh cropping wounds. I would not go back.

Yes they will stand. It won't make a difference if they are down for 10 - 15 days, your pup is so young, you have plenty of time. We took a break from posting from weeks 10-12 due to a cut on one ear. Couldn't post because t would cause an infection. It made no difference and we were done posting by 5.5 months.

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,070 Posts
The dobes that receive a show/long crop will post for about 7 months . Many will finish posting just after teething the 5-6 month of age. You want to start posting with a healthy ear to avoid infection a taped ear is a prime spot for infection. You have plenty of time to get his ears to stand, you have nothing to worry about now except to keep his ears from getting infected. He will heal very fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts