Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've checked the archives but can't seem to find this exact topic and thought I might start fresh with this question: We want to get a second dog who will live happily with our male Doberman, who is now 2 years old. Although we live in an apartment in Manhattan, Marco is able to run securely off-leash every morning and every night, plus he gets a long walk mid-day, so exercise is not an issue. Ideally, we would like a second (female) dog that Marco could enjoy running with.

When we consider breeds like a whippet or italian greyhound, we hear stories of how delicate their legs are. Marco can be a pretty rough beast at times, and I can't see that being a good match. Ditto with something too small, like a chihauhua. So we begin to think about a sturdy, small to medium-size dog like a manchester terrier. Since Dobermans were bred partly from the MT, we like the idea they would look the same and share a similar temperament. But then we hear that the MT really can't be let off-leash because its prey drive is so strong and they basically can't hear you calling them when they are on the trail of something.

So, here's our question for the forum: does anyone have a good suggestion as to a breed we should consider that is trainable (will come when called, as Marco does), and will be sturdy enough to withstand play with a big male Doberman, have a well-matched temperament, but physically be on the smaller side?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Steve

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If you have the time for one I REALLY like the herding breeds. They are full of energy and can take a hit so, in my experience, they play really well with dobes. Two other breeds I've found to do well with dobes are boxers and pitties.

Edit: I want to add, be sure that the next dog is a female!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we already have the tail with Marco -- we flew to the UK for him, so he is complete with tail and ears. I do love Shepherds, having grown up with one, and our second dog before we moved into the city was a female Dobe (RIP Gracie), so yes, that would be ideal. But we are in a much more confined situation now and are thinking something that doesn't take up quite so much physical space and isn't quite so powerful would be the way to go. I like the idea of the Boxer -- they are beautiful; I'll have to do a little research into the breathing situation (I'm just ignorant about this, knowing nothing of the breed). Thanks for the good ideas...would love to hear any others.

In case anyone is wondering, one of us goes off to work each day while the other works from home, so someone is with the pups 24/7.

Cheers...Steve

·
Registered
716 Posts
How about a female.............. Doberman?
Lol! Seriously, i love all breeds, but no other is a bettet fit than a second doberman!
Hey no fair you beat me to it:lol2:

I know of 2 AMAZING breeds I'd like to suggest with which I have first hand interaction with! :nicejob:

#1. Border Collie (this is the #1 smartest dog on the list by the way)
#2. Australian Sheepdog

I will tell you why as well.
Both dogs like to herd and "should" not take off and run away. (in theory)

Also I want to let you in on the situation as I "we" know it. Both of Kira's best playmates are these two breeds. However both of the dogs are rather large for there breed not the standard height or weight. Kira is a real good example of a "Medium sized Doberman" and height really matters with my girl when playing.

We have a beautiful Siberian Husky two streets away she plays (matches up well) with outside and loves her. BUT the husky gets really hot, fast... I do live in Florida... This might not be a problem for you.

The above Sheepdog (Ruby is in a few photos with Kira in my Gallery have a look) also overheats as well when outside as compaired with a Dobe. These two are prone to sleep-overs and walks in the park with shade and basically a better environment with the temperature so they have more quality time as playmates.

I will post some photos on your thread later this evening of the pups!
Oh another note, the border collie is a bit less furry then both Aussi and Husky however still furrier then adding a female dobe to your home! LoL

And by the way "GOOD for YOU" to avoid the little ones!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My sister has a male boxer and he's a great playmate for Kyuss. Boxers are quite prone to cancer, so research breeders carefully.

Have you thought of rescue? You could maybe find a dobe mix that is on the smaller side needing a forever home =D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 male dogs.. One is a Doberman and one is a pitbull.. Scary right? Not so much! My boys are like brothers and because my pit has a high tolerance for pain he's very patient with our dobes slightly hard mouth and tough play.. Plus they're both cuddlers and love to cuddle with each other when were not around for a quick snuggle. They're temperaments are similar enough and yet they contrast each other perfectly.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Whippet! I know lots of ppl with this mix and they say it works very well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go Greyhound!
My Female Grey is 55lbs and my Female Dobe is 75lbs. And the Dobe is the one who ends up knocked down most of the time. A Grey is great because they can outrun out Dobe very easily and my girls love to chase eachother.
Please don't discount a Greyound there are so many out there available for adoption.
I see you are in Manhattan, I live in Queens and there are great local rescue groups that can pick the perfect dog for your situation.
Check out the GREATFULGREYHOUNDS.com that is where my girl is from.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Pittbulls are genetically Dog Aggresive to varying degrees. This "generally" shows up at approximately 2 to 3 years of age and can be for no apparent reason. Keyword being generally.

Pittbull owners should have a breaking stick available, and, have it with them even when just going for a walk.

Pittbulls are not dog park dogs.

Admittedly I know very little about Pittbulls so I looked at some Pittbull Forums this is where the above statements came from. These forums are a wealth of information regarding Pitbulls just as Doberman Talk is for Dobermans.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pittbulls are genetically Dog Aggresive to varying degrees. This "generally" shows up at approximately 2 to 3 years of age and can be for no apparent reason. Keyword being generally.

Pittbull owners should have a breaking stick available, and, have it with them even when just going for a walk.

Pittbulls are not dog park dogs.

Admittedly I know very little about Pittbulls so I looked at some Pittbull Forums this is where the above statements came from. These forums are a wealth of information regarding Pitbulls just as Doberman Talk is for Dobermans.
I get that it can be common, but not EVERY "pit bull" is dog aggressive. Our Bella is going on 5 years old, loves all dogs - big & small, no matter the sex. Besides, a responsible owner that knows his/her own dog's limitations etc. probably isn't going to put the dog in a situation where they need to be ready with break stick in hand. Granted other people's mistakes can make that possible, but you don't need to treat the dog like it's a time bomb.

Note: This wasn't a statement entirely aimed at you. Many statements that I have seen on pit bull forums just encourage what most people think of pit bull-type dogs and treat them as stereotypes.

As far as breed recommendations go, I would say a Boxer (Lillie loves to play with my friend's dobe), Rottweiler, Greyhound, or Whippet. But be warned, Boxers can be very hyper and need to be trained from the beginning not to jump, pull, etc.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Well, we already have the tail with Marco -- we flew to the UK for him, so he is complete with tail and ears. I do love Shepherds, having grown up with one, and our second dog before we moved into the city was a female Dobe (RIP Gracie), so yes, that would be ideal. But we are in a much more confined situation now and are thinking something that doesn't take up quite so much physical space and isn't quite so powerful would be the way to go. I like the idea of the Boxer -- they are beautiful; I'll have to do a little research into the breathing situation (I'm just ignorant about this, knowing nothing of the breed). Thanks for the good ideas...would love to hear any others.

In case anyone is wondering, one of us goes off to work each day while the other works from home, so someone is with the pups 24/7.

Cheers...Steve
If you decide to go for a Boxer I would advise you choose a breeder who tests the parents for DCM, Hip/Elbow Displasia and Spondalocis as these problems are very much in evidence within the breed.
I recently lost my Boxer female (adoptive mum for my Dobe) and can tell you they are robust and more than a match for a Dobe when it comes to running. However, nothing (or so I believe) can match another Dobe when it comes to standing up to a T-bone smash.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Lillie's Mom

The forums do say varying degrees from cold to hot on Dog Aggression and apparently somewhere in the middle. As far as a break stick goes isn't it better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

Different Breeds have been bred for different purposes; i.e., I've had Dobermans for 40+
years; and, know they were originally bred for Personal Protection. It is just being aware of your Dogs Roots so to speak.

Sadly sometimes I think there is a dearth of responsible owners for Dobermans, Pitbulls,
German Shepherds, Rottweilers etc; which is where all the problems lie.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts