Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a note to self to talk with my daughter about this story (AKC Junior News; World Dog Show 2007: Mexico City, Mexico) and it occured to me some of you might enjoy it too.

Phil

Dylan Kipp, World Dog Show Best Junior.

After a full day of traveling from Wisconsin, we finally arrived in Mexico City. We went to the hotel for a short while then to the show site, the Las Americas International Exhibition Center (Banamex Center) to watch the opening ceremony. The campus was huge; it was about twice the size of the building used for the shows in Louisville, Kentucky. The opening ceremony was thrilling featuring native dancers, a brief history of the dogs of Mexico, and then followed by a lot of speeches. After the ceremony I explored the campus and tried to find out when I would show. I also had to figure out which dog I was going to show, because I did not bring my own dog.

The days started early, usually 4:30 AM. Even though we didn’t have any dogs with us we had to leave the hotel by 6:00 to beat the horrendous traffic. Mexico City traffic is 10 times worse then in NYC even though you can only drive certain days based on your license plate. After arriving at the show I set out to find out my ring time. I definitely did not want to miss my class after traveling so far. After making several requests I was told that the time would be announced over the loud speaker. This was a challenge because the loud speaker was difficult to understand. But then it was announced we would show at 2:00, so now I faced another issue which was finding a dog to show. My plan was to do the same as what I did when I went to Argentina, so I went to the Doberman ring and watched all 100 of them. I found a breeder that I had met in Argentina; she was very helpful and offered me their red champion bitch. I was so thrilled because of all the ones I watched I thought to myself that is the one I would most enjoy showing and that is who I got.

So now it is 2:00 - Showtime. I watched the younger group show first, which consisted of ages 7 to 10 years old. Then I showed in the group which was ages 10 to 17 years old, but on this day they split my group in half by age. They split it by the ages 10 to 14 then 14 to 15. Our judge for Thursday was Patricia Cruz (USA). In my group there were about 40 other handlers competing. At the end of the judging I finished in second place behind a girl who showed a Fila Brasileiro, which is a very difficult breed to show. In the 10 to 14 age group CT Giese, a fellow American, got first place so that was a thrill. CT and I weren’t the only American junior handlers, there was also Jocelyn Brody, a young and talented handler who had to work really hard because her Basenji was being a typical Basenji and gave her a hard time, but she pulled through and did a very good job.

After the junior handler competition we watched all 10 groups and all of the different bests in show competitions; which consisted of the actual best in show, best junior in show, best puppy in show, best couple (brace) in show, best progeny in show, best breeder in show, and best veteran in show. The show ended about 10:00 at night; talk about a long day starting from 8am-10pm.

The conformation wasn’t the only competition going on at the show site. At the Banamex Center there was also the world agility and obedience competition. The World German Shepherd Sieger Show was being held in the middle of the race track where there were also horse races taking place. In the early morning if you went by the track you could see hundreds of horses taking their morning runs, it was a very exciting sight. The days were usually very nice, not too hot with nice sunshine even though there was some smog.

Over the next three days the numbers of dogs grew and grew. So did the number of spectators. The show felt like Westminster because you couldn’t get anywhere without fighting a crowd.

On Friday our judge was Enrique Filipini (Argentina), and on that day I made it to the final cut but didn’t place. A girl with a PBGV, who did an excellent job, won. She was also the winner of the World Dog Show in Poland last year.

On Saturday numbers really grew and the pressure was on. Saturday was named Americas Dog Show, and our judge for that day was Dennis Sprung (USA). On this day I had a new challenge. Jakie, the Doberman I usually showed, won best of breed! It was very exciting, but I had to get a new dog because we wanted Jakie to be well rested for the group. I got a red Doberman dog that was also a great show dog. After judging I finished second again behind a girl with a Boxer, who also did a nice job.

Finally it was Sunday the day of the actual World Dog Show. For the junior handling competition our judge was 3 time World Champion Juan Miranda (México). It was about 2 o’clock in the afternoon, when I went to watch the preliminaries for the junior handling competition. Since I was a representative I would automatically go into finals that night but when I arrived at the ring there was an announcement that representatives had to show in the preliminaries as well! So I raced across this enormous building to get my dog, my number, and everything else I needed; while fighting the enormous crowds. Finally arriving back at the ring just in time, when I was completely exhausted, I tried to do my best. I made it to the finals, and then had to wait until just before Best in Show for the final competition. Later I learned representatives didn’t have to show in the preliminaries, but I was still in the finals so no harm done. After the judging was completed I ended up winning the title 2007 Junior Handler World Champion! I was so thrilled and couldn’t be leave it. I am now only the 2nd American junior to win at the World Dog Show. This was my last time competing at the World Dog Show in junior handling, so it was a good way to end! We stayed and watched the rest of the show, and the closing ceremony which was really exciting. The flag was passed to the people of the World Dog Show 2008 in Sweden, a mariachi band played and a Frisian horse performed. At the end of the day the Toy Poodle was the winner of the World Dog Show.

Arriving back to the hotel at about 11:30 that night I went to bed as a World Champion. I arrived back in the States the next day happy to be home and see my dogs.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What a great story. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Very nice story and nicely written!!! Thanks for posting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts