Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red male Dobe and I am looking for the best kind of food for him in Australia. Does anyone know of a site I can get onto that has some good kibble?
THANKS in advance!!

:help_up_2

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum..

Theres a recent member here called Jedski who is from Queensland Australia ..maybe you could try asking her for some ideas :D ..the best dry food i feed harvey is James Well Beloved but im not sure if you get that there ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks guys for the quick replies. this site looks pretty cool.
I would like to try the raw diet but have heard you have to be very carefull......but on the otherside of the coin I have read some bad stuff about commercial dog food.
how about raw diet + mulit vitamin for dog?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi stasi, welcome to the forum. You'll like it here, very friendly people and lots of great advice. Where are you based?

I don't have Jeddah on a total BARF diet yet.........I must admit to spending more time thinking and reading about it, but haven't actually put it all together yet!!!! So lazy sometimes.

I'm using Bonnie Working Dog dry food at the moment. It's not expensive, around the $35 mark for 20 kgs. (I buy this from the Produce place). I combine that with the odd chicken carcass, brisket bones, lamb flaps.....all raw. I'm just about to buy one of those juice fountain thingies, so I can do fruit and veg to combine with raw meat. I'm also buying a roo meat/beef mince combo for my cats at the moment from my butcher as a trial, which has been very successful. It's not at all fatty, and seems to be quite good quality. Jeddah also loves a can of sardines in oil over her kibble about once a week. Now I could be wrong here, but I understand if you get the right combinations in a BARF diet, you don't necessarily need to use multi-vitamins.

Check out the link that Gracie's Mom has posted. (I must learn how to do those link things!) There's some great info on the web, just run a search on Billingsworth or BARF, you'll get a heap of results.

You can also buy the premade BARF patties, I'm pretty sure they home deliver. If you're interested, I'll find the info that I've got on that.

Now....where's your red boy's photos???? Unofficial forum rules, we must have pictures!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I feed raw also, I'm new to it, I've been feeding it for a month or a month and a half, can't remember!

I love it, but I spent much time researching before I switched. I used to think it was a lot of work, but it isn't at all. It's as easy as scooping the kibble into a bowl was.

For an added suppliment, I went out and bought old bananas (they were like 39c for a bunch! Trust me the dog doesn't care!), calves liver, apples (cored- no seeds) and brocelli, used a blender to whip it all together, and froze it in ice cube trays. Now my dog get one or two "ice cubes" with every dinner.

I spent about a half and hour doing this and it made enough for a month at least, probably a little more.

Before I fed raw I fed Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. Very natural.
But since we've been raw- the stools are tiny, coat has improved, teeth and breath have improved. And I just feel better about it!

But I know it isn't for everyone, so best of luck!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, welcome to the forum.. Everyone is great here and have a lot of good advice.. Good luck on the question on feeding and raw feeding..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guy again for the help and advice!
I think I would like to get my boy onto a raw diet. I just dont trust commercial food. Think is I have to eduacate myself with the preparation part of it. That link that was provided to another thread on this forum is pretty good.
I have some more questions but am pretty flat out now and will ask them later:)

until then have a nice day :tongue23:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lexus, did you put calf liver in your blender?? Can just see the kids questioning that additional flavour to their smoothies. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah I put all that in and blended it together. My husband and kids told me that evening they fully expect me to go buy a new blender and ice cube trays before they eat ANYTHING from either!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah I put all that in and blended it together. My husband and kids told me that evening they fully expect me to go buy a new blender and ice cube trays before they eat ANYTHING from either!!!
Babies...:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts