Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on different foods for our new puppy. He's eating Nutro Puppy Lamb and Rice, but I think there are better foods out there. I'm considering Canidae or Innova. Is there a puppy formula for Evo? I haven't been able to find it. I still have half a bag of the Nutro left but want to introduce the new food slowly so I need to decide soon with the way he's eating! I also mix in a little cottage cheese and raw beef as the breeder recommended.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I don't think they make an evo version for puppies - something to do with the protein being to high - I am sure someone else with much more knowledge on dog food will answer you too. I know Innova makes a puppy food. Check the websites for the foods. Hope I was at least a little bit of help :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If feeding raw.. make sure to feed it different times than the reg.kibble.. Kibble take longer to digest than raw in the tummy.. Good luck

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Innova Evo does not make a puppy forumla because the protein content is way to high. The two you suggested are good quality foods for your pup and like frznbuns said feed raw meat seperate from the kibble.

Reactions: Lucagirl

·
Registered
561 Posts
Isnt EVO a part of Innova? I think they are. Innova is what I use and I love it. They make several varieties including Large Breed Puppy, the one I use.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not quite. Innova's not the company...Natura Pet is. Natura Pet is the company whose brands include Innova, Evo and California Natural, etc.. And within those brands are different versions..large breed, small bites, RM, etc.

Innova has grains. Evo is grain-free. Innova has roughly half the protein and fat of Evo.

Lucagirl, you could look into Natural Balance foods...they have a variety that are ALS (all life stages): http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/home.html

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have read on another forum and other places NOT to give Evo to puppies. I feed Canidae, and both of my dogs look great and do great on it. Innova or Canidae would both be a good choice. There are also several other high quality dog foods as well.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Not quite. Innova's not the company...Natura Pet is. Natura Pet is the company whose brands include Innova, Evo and California Natural, etc.. And within those brands are different versions..large breed, small bites, RM, etc.

Thanks Sooz for correcting me. It's funny, I always think they should have been called Innova and not Natura Pet..lol

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
No, no, no...not correcting you, Okie. The bags actually do say "Innova Evo" on them. Just clarifying for CMD that Innova is not the company, Natura Pet is. Evo is not part of Innova, it's a different version of it.

I was wondering if I was starting to loose my mind at such a young age!! :emo:

·
Registered
561 Posts
If the EVO is all meats and grain free wouldnt that make it very high in protein? I think thats why they intentionally keep the protein levels moderate in Innova Large Breed Puppy, in order to attempt to keep growth rates down..

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If the EVO is all meats and grain free wouldnt that make it very high in protein? I think thats why they intentionally keep the protein levels moderate in Innova Large Breed Puppy, in order to attempt to keep growth rates down..
Evo is something like 42% protein, and that's why people don't recommend it be fed to puppies.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I checked out the website there pre mixes look pretty good. They are like another company called Essex in that they have pre mixed food you just have to add the meat. I like the fact that you have the option to add whatever meat you want and looks like they are mostly organic. If you don't mind baking and preparing the food it seems like not a bad alternative. I also like Innova puppy to!

·
Doberman lover
72 Posts
I still do not understand why high protein is not good for puppies. It just seems that total calories should be the issue. Yes, they should be grown slow - making sure that you can feel their ribs easily. Protein does not make them grow any faster than carbs or fat.

It feeding raw - it is almost all protein except for the bone/fat.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I feed Lexie the Canidae kibble mixed with canned. Paws down, I love Canidae. Lexie loves it and her coat is so shiney. She is so healthy. I also alternate mixing in eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt.
Lisa

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I've never had a Dobe puppy before, my last Dobe was older when I got her. Is it normal to see their ribs? He eats 1 cup of kibble mixed with 1/4 cup of ground beef and a spoonful of cottage cheese 3 times a day. Some days he eats every crumb, other days he leaves up to 1/3 of it. I take his food away after 30 minutes as suggested by the breeder.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Were a canidae fan over here. Went through a few brands before we settled on canidae. Nutro and Solid Gold had a horrible gas factor, Eagle Pack made her loose weigh. I all depends on how your puppy reacts on them. Unfortunately, it takes a few months to really see any type of difference. We were able to see our girls ribs until she was about 8 months old, and then she start to fill out nicely.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Have any of you heard of west coast canine life? I'm thinking about this as I too am having a hard time deciding what food to feed. I'm torn between Innova puppy, Orijen puppy and West Coast Canine Life... but like everyone I'm worried about protein elvels etc..
www.westcoastcaninelife.com
I looked at the Orijen foods. They looked good but I was concerned about the tapioca and yeast extract (MOS). Anyone have any thoughts on these? Tapioca is basically a starch that is used as a thickener. Yeast extract is also used as a thickener.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I looked at the Orijen foods. They looked good but I was concerned about the tapioca and yeast extract (MOS). Anyone have any thoughts on these? Tapioca is basically a starch that is used as a thickener. Yeast extract is also used as a thickener.
This website should give you a good analysis. http://dogfoodanalysis.com

The have a search to put in different brands you might have questions about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts