Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am currently looking to import Doberman into Canada from Europe for Shutzhund training and wanted to know which lines are the best for this sort of task. Any help would be appreciated. Everyone has their own opinions and I am looking forward to listening to all of them!

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Are you set on importing from Europe for IPG, or would you look at breeders in the US? There are a fair number of breeders that are breeding nice sport dogs here and I think it would be a lot easier to find a nice dog closer to home to bring across the border than all the way in Europe.

What part of Canada are you in?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Most of the best Doberman breeders I know in Europe do not sell puppies to people they have never met and live 6,000 away. Most of the ones that frequently sell puppies to North America over the internet are high volume breeders and mostly show line breeders. You will likely have better luck looking at here, UDC Breeders – United Doberman Club.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Hey, I am currently looking to import Doberman into Canada from Europe for Shutzhund training and wanted to know which lines are the best for this sort of task. Any help would be appreciated. Everyone has their own opinions and I am looking forward to listening to all of them!
What kind of experience do you have? Who do you plan to train with? You can pm me if you like.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The "Best" lines is a pretty subjective statement and will depend on the metric you use to measure them. Some lines that have been around for some time with consistent working qualities would be Jotunheim in Denmark, Ascomannis in Denmark, von Warringhof in Germany, Altengarde in Italy, Les Deux Peupliers in the Netherlands, von der Burgstätte in Germany, vom Hexenzauber - these are probably the kennels I see most consistently producing dogs who are competing at the highest level or featured in the pedigree of dogs featuring at the highest level of the sport. Does that mean they are the best? Depends on who you ask. I do not know that they would send their best puppies overseas to perfect strangers, and I imagine you'd probably have to build a relationship with them for some time for them to trust you. There are also other kennels of course, smaller breeders, lesser known breeders and plenty of others I didn't list here.

There are working line breeders in North America, mostly the USA whose dogs have some or all of the above lines in their pedigrees and go beyond. I have seen several interesting or exciting breeding plans announced for this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts