Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DobeDiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what sort of commands you guys first taught your dobes? Diesel is 10 weeks and he's mastered sit.. I'm working on laying down, shaking a paw and rollover but sometimes I think he gets bored. Also on youtube I've seen some of your videos where the doberman will bark when told to speak, what is the best way to go about that???:thanx:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Callie knew sit, down, stand, stay, HERE! and back up at 12 weeks. Now that she's a little older (17 weeks) we're working on fun Rally Obedience tricks like 'front' and 'finish', and tightening up heel work. So many cool things you can teach them!

The easiest way to teach 'speak' is to find something that makes the dog bark- then reward the behavior and attach a command to it. I.E. if I waggle a treat in Callie's face long enough teasing her, she'll make a tiny woof at me eventually. I say, "GOOD speak!" and give her the treat... repeat the process over many short training sessions over time, then start asking for the command. "Callie, speak!" and she should be able to connect the dots.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi Diesel's parent...I'm from South of London, ON.

Check out my writeup, for a little more detail (http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/66669-shy-pup.html - which I am not suggesting)...I concentrate on the basics more, in the earliest puppy period:
- COME & SIT (first)
- FETCH & COME with tennis ball & frisbee (rotate them).......on my "A" List
- TUG-OF WAR......fun way to curb boredom.........................on my "A" List
- STAY
- DOWN
- Soft Bite Control............................................................on my "A" List
I do these initially, as a foundation for eye & ear focus & bonding...then other dog commands, are easier to master.

·
DobeDiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Beaumont I will definitely check out your other write up.. and thats funny I am located in Brantford.. not too far!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Just wondering what sort of commands you guys first taught your dobes? Diesel is 10 weeks and he's mastered sit.. I'm working on laying down, shaking a paw and rollover but sometimes I think he gets bored. Also on youtube I've seen some of your videos where the doberman will bark when told to speak, what is the best way to go about that???:thanx:
I couldn't get my dobe to speak on command exactly, but if Mom asks Amy if she wants to go outside to pee, she will put on her big girl barking.
OK / ENOUGH is our off word or cue.

What I strived for with my puppy, was to get the "barky-barky-barky" when someone knocks on the front door, steps foot on our property or tells me if she feels concerned when seeing someone walk by our place.
As a pup, in the house I would wind her up with my praising & baited voice (show dad / what is it Amy?)...to get the dobe protection talk, I was after...letting the exercise, be a job for her...to keep aware of her surroundings & people coming & going...in the neighborhood.
- just as good as I had her wound up, it was most important to train a command that becomes the "off" barking switch.
- this activity taped into dogs natural instincts (was a job to do) and the control comes from her recognizing strangers of concern from innocient kids just walking to school
- the bark wind-up thing, is more than just the noise...on or off...it developes into accessing potential good from bad, in people
I wanted my dog to bark on her own, when she had something to communicate...I didn't want to make her be noise anoying, so I never tried much to make her bark on command (hard to know if this would of materialized or not)...so I concentrated on "purpose barking".

·
DobeDiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya that makes a lot of sense!!! So far, Diesel is NOT a barker.. he pretty much has not made a sound in the 3 weeks we've had him so it might be a little harder to get him to do the barking on command or when he feels it's necessary.. but I'm sure he will find his voice, then I will wish he hadn't lol! But definitely purpose barking is what I want to accomplish with him.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Not sure what your plans are with diesel but if youre planning on ever getting into a sport such as obedience, rally, schutzhund, etc, I would not be worried about 'commands' yet.

At this age, you should just be reinforcing that 'being with you is fun!'. Use food luring to bring the dog to the positions you want, such as heeling, sitting in a front, down, etc, basically just getting the dog to learn 'ooh! If I follow this hand, it will lead me to yummy stuff' little does the dog know you are setting the muscle memory and groundwork for the actual 'commands'. The commands are the easy part, the foundation is the most important.

Not sure if 10 weeks may be too young for it, but the biggest thing to develop in a puppy IMO is focus. I want the dog to learn that watching me is a good thing. Practice focus in quiet areas, then add in distractions etc. This is also very useful for teaching the dog to 'ignore' things while on a walk. For instance:
- A rambunctious dog is walking towards me on a tight sidewalk and I do not want Zeus to start pulling, getting excited, lunging, etc, so I tell him 'watch me' and he walks pasts the dog while focusing on me and not the dog.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/66450-puppy-teeth-tug-games.html

^^^^ Please read the posts & watch the great video's...much to consider and it can be much fun / early work, sets the dogs entire life.
- concentrate on the "nuts & bolts" first...the puppy building blocks...the rest (early tricks) becomes more of a cake walk / walk in the park next

Amy's senior video...might show what foundation of EYE FOCUS & specific MOTIVATING PLAY generates / she was this good, since puppy times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnM067oZKc

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Well, Cadence learned to "sit" today :) she just turned 9weeks! I guess tomorrow we will work on "down"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts