Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know dogs love to have their belly's rubbed. But is it normal for them to only let their "family" do it? It took Gracie a long time before she would let us rub her belly. I think the first time we were able to was in May, I am not sure about that though. Well Gracie loves every one, my brother, hubby's brothers, mother, and father. She will not let anyone rub her belly. No one except us. Is this normal? Is it because that means she will have to be submissive to them and she isn't cool with that? Or is it because she trusts us enough to let us do that?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
hmmm, I think based on what I have seen with Nikita, I think your right about both situations. At the dog park, I have seen alot of new or young dogs submit to other dogs by exposing their belly to them. For dog behavior, thats being submissive. For Nikita, she does not let just anyone rub her belly, its just my SO and me she does this for. It is a trust thing. She also learned that it feels good, so she does want her belly rubbed alot more. My girl does alot of gatoring around us. She lays on her back, feet up and mouth open chewing on her toys, while wiggling around. Its hilarious.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It's a very submissive posture from what I've read/heard... So I think that dogs in general will only allow people they completely trust and adore to rub their belly... I know Chi and Peach both love it but only from us... Next time you rub her belly though, tell her it's from me :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Trinity is like this. My freinds try to rub her belly but she just kisses them in the face which makes my freinds back off but she will roll over for me and my mother and thats it. LOL

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TracyJo said:
It's a very submissive posture from what I've read/heard... So I think that dogs in general will only allow people they completely trust and adore to rub their belly... I know Chi and Peach both love it but only from us... Next time you rub her belly though, tell her it's from me :)
I will do that for you. :) Gracie on the other had is almost always rolling over for us. She puts her legs in the air and and grabs a toy, she will bring her back leg down and grab it with her mouth then roll back over. It is quite funny. Lol.

My brother has a rott. As soon as anyone walks into his house his dog (Ginger) rolls right over on her back and you have to pet her belly before you can enter. Lol. It is so funny.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think Lexy would spend her entire life on her back getting a belly rub if she could!!! She really hasn't rolled over and offered her belly to anyone but us in her family though now that you mention it. With us she will come up to us and FLOP on the floor to get that belly rub, usually shakes the floor!

·
Registered
460 Posts
The only ones in this household who like belly rubs are Scooby and Fallon, the cat. Ava would perfer you rub her chin, thankyouverymuch.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Harvey loves a belly rub and a tickle behind the ears ..he will only let people he knows and loves to do it though like close family and friends :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My dogs will only let my family and people who come over often...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts