Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick Bella up this morning, and she looked horrible. She has some REALLY nasty wounds on her neck, apparently she had a bark collar on the entire week:( She lost 8lbs while we were gone, and she has some wounds on her back leg and ears!
My poor girl, I feel so bad for leaving her :emo10:

From now on if she can't go on vacation with us, then I WILL NOT be going either!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Bella. Where did you leave her while on vacation? I would be giving them a call back. I hope she is feeling okay and that those wounds heal fast.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Geez, this is why I am so reluctant to go on vacation and board the girls. I wish I had someone I could trust with them to stay at the house. My Vet who had watched them in a pinch (when my brother in law passed) but he really doesn't have the room for them he only watches geriatrics :( How horrible for you Kelco, don;t beat yourself up!!! Give Bella kisses from us :)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Wow that is just horrible! I would file a complaint! You can find lots of vacation homes to rent all over the place that allow dogs....I've got two rented for our other vacations this Summer. I also hate leaving my baby...but sometimes I have to.

I am very lucky to have found a good kennel and I have another one that is even better if I want to drive another 15 minutes. Petey was in for 4 nights this past week, and came out looking great and acting a bit wild but happy and normal. They feed him his RAW, allow him 2 toys from home, and also let him sleep on his blankie and bed if I want to bring that. I won't go to the kennel that I used to take my Weims to, they were NOT well taken care of.

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
That's terrible! I'm so sorry and I hope she heals up quickly! In all my years of dog ownership I have never boarded a dog. I would be way too freaked out to even try. I just can't stand the image of my dogs sitting in a boarding kennel run. I worked in a couple of boarding kennels as a kid and that will turn you off of it for sure!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I thought I found a good kennel couple of years ago, I showed up unexpected and toured the facility talked with the owners extensivley. I felt really good about them, when I picked them up, Grace had poo all over her backside, her blankets had poo on them and we picked them up in the afternoon and they hadn't cleaned her up. PeeWee fared better but she was younger and still quite puppy. I was PO'd, the ASPCA purchased a 5 acre facility after the owner had died (he had been in business for over 40 yrs) and re-opened it so that is where I take the girls now. They are less then a mile and the girls love the ladies that work there :)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I'd be so furious. Is this a chain or something. I've thought about keeping Jordan at Best Friends while we're away for the weekend. It will only be for less then 3 days and I have pleanty of neighbors and friends to keep him but I like the people there.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have never boarded my dogs either. I don't know how it is elsewhere but here in Los Angeles there are many dog sitters that will stay at your house. Mine is a godsend. I found her card at my vet 10 years ago and have used her ever since. This way my dogs are in my house where they are familiar and happy and there is very little room for error. Here in doggie daycare's they also have video cameras so that you can log on and see what the dogs are doing all day. I am SO sorry to hear about Bella....I would be losing my mind right now. I hope that she will be ok. Vacation is supposed to be about relaxing and not worrying, I am sorry that you are having to go through this. Ugggh!! I can't fathom what the people that work there think is going to happen when people pick up their dogs? Do they not think that you will notice? That is so maddening.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Was the bark collar placed on her by them? I am so sorry that you and your baby had to go thru that. I would certainly not let it just go.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lady that "looked" after Bella, is a friend of my in-laws, I really thought she was in good hands, especially since she is a former dobe owner!!

The Bark collar was not on her when we dropped her off or when we picked her up, but the wounds speak for themselves she had to have had it on the whole time we were gone. It just makes me sick to my stomach knowing what my little girl had to suffer through, I can't even imagine how painful it was and most likely still is for her.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Poor poor Bella - I hope she heals up fast. Keep an eye on those cuts. I'm sure she is just super happy to be home with you guys now.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
ohhh... Thank goodness I have two trusted friends that stay with our dogs at our house when we go. We left for a month this past year and all was well. I felt so good knowing that they were with loving, trusted people.

Don't you know any dog owners that you can trade vacation time with? Gosh I am so lucky...

Hugs to Bellagirl...

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
:flower: Oh dear....our babies sure get attached to us. I'm sure she was happy to see Mommie and will bounce back to her normal self. Tracy

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Poor Bella, she is home now though. I suggest you start looking now for a new sitter, lot's of time until the next holiday! Hope she recovers quickly.
I just finished dog sitting for a week, the nice thing is they will do the same for me.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Poor Bella and poor you. This has really upset me, especially as Tia is in kennels as I type. Surely they can't put this type of contraption on your dog without first gaining permission - its terrible!! I would most certainly be letting them know how disgusted I was if I were you. I hope Bella is better soon. x

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The lady that "looked" after Bella, is a friend of my in-laws, I really thought she was in good hands, especially since she is a former dobe owner!!

The Bark collar was not on her when we dropped her off or when we picked her up, but the wounds speak for themselves she had to have had it on the whole time we were gone. It just makes me sick to my stomach knowing what my little girl had to suffer through, I can't even imagine how painful it was and most likely still is for her.

Well you can give this to that "lady" for me:

:finger1:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Poor Bella! I hope she is better soon. My dogs are the reason I never go anywhere. I don't want to leave them or I would take them with me. I am grateful though that I have family that watches them for me if I need to leave for work or my vet boards in a pinch. They are awesome with care.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts