Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got my simon a month ago, and he just had surgery in the past week. Unfortunately, hes going to have to be in his crate for the next six weeks, longer than I have had him :-(
He goes into his crate, but absolutely panics, he won't calm down and lay down and whines and whines. Since he just had his surgery, I have been gating him at the end of the hall because he was making his wound bleed because he was moving around so much in the crate. That works during the day but then he whines because he can't be in the room with me at night. He had a crate at his fosters, but i haven't crated him here, he doesn't need it! I just gated him in the kitchen during the day and he is a dream, no counter surfing or getting into the trash! I also think the crate is too small, though the rescue lady came over and said it was fine, its an X large, 28 in high by 41 by something.. he can turn around but definitely has to hunch over to sit or move. ( I would say he is about 28-29 in high but sitting hes tall!!)

Any advice to get him to calm down? He doesn't really care about treats, though he is starting to take them in the crate.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You can always move the crate next to the sofa or bed (but then of course you'll be stuck sleeping on the sofa with me:)
With fosters in the past we've always made the crate the center of their existence and always the most wonderful place to be (or at least that's what we've tried to achieve). Lots and lots of praise and super good treats in the crate when they're being quite (liver, liver, liver!). A kong stuffed with peanut butter or that squirty cheese was a huge favorite and occupied time but we only gave it to them in the crate (ie. I get that great chew toy that tastes really good only when I'm in the crate, so let's go in the crate and be quiet and maybe they'll give it to me :) Never, ever, ever use the crate for punishment, it must be the "safe" place. As young as Chi is I always know if she's done something wrong. If I hear a crash, ripping/shredding of paper or smell something super yucky I will generally find her in her crate looking at me like "what are you going to do about it? I'm in here, I've got asylum :)". That being said, sometimes she just doesn't want to go in or goes in just to start a bit of whining 2 minutes later. If I'm sure she's pottied and fed and is just whining because she wants to come out and it's the middle of the night and I want to sleep I will use a squirt bottle and since my aim is bad when I'm trying to sleep more often than not I just squirt the side of the crate but the sound of it normally hushes her and all is good and great in the world.
A larger/more comfortable crate probably wouldn't be a bad idea either, would also give him more room for pillows and blankets :)
Gonna be a long 6 weeks for the poor boy (and you :), good luck!

~Tracy
www.dogster.com/?179758

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts