Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the new pup Susan and our boy Doug have just been a fantastic duo, I have absolutely no complaints, at all!

However, during their insane play sessions Susan will sometimes jump up and place her paws or legs across Doug's back. I know that in older or grown dogs it's one way to show who is more dominant.

Do you think that this is the case with a new pup, or do you think she might just be trying to play at his level, closer to the ears and neck to play bite etc...?

I understand that a puppy should not be showing dominant behavior. I just don't want to be correcting her if her intentions are really just to be playing.

I can give more details with questions anyone might have. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So the new pup Susan and our boy Doug have just been a fantastic duo, I have absolutely no complaints, at all!

However, during their insane play sessions Susan will sometimes jump up and place her paws or legs across Doug's back. I know that in older or grown dogs it's one way to show who is more dominant.

Do you think that this is the case with a new pup, or do you think she might just be trying to play at his level, closer to the ears and neck to play bite etc...?

I understand that a puppy should not be showing dominant behavior. I just don't want to be correcting her if her intentions are really just to be playing.

I can give more details with questions anyone might have. Thanks for your feedback!
She's playing. If Doug has a problem with her behavior, let him tell her.

I really wish certain words had never entered mainstream communication... dominance, seperation anxiety, that kind of thing. Makes people see problems where none exist...

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Your pup Susan and boy Doug:
- she may be just holding her own...that is what I am thinking (the littler one)
Without being there, as long as neither is getting the upper hand ...her paws on his back / might be a clever equalizer.
- only correct if you don't see a win-win (with 2 dogs playing)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I think the majority of the time puppies are playing. What I look for is equal opportunity. Both dogs having 'both roles' as victim and terror (hehe). Not one dog always on top. And I think there's a difference between a pounce and a dominant stance over the top of another dog. And then even 1 dog standing ovr another can be ok. It depends on how the other dog si reacting and the overall body langage.

I also expect both dogs to enjoy it. If older dog is not enjoying it even if play is "allowable", I redirect puppy.

And one very good thing you can start diong is interrupting play and teaching her to come out of play. Start very close to her at first and make it impossible to fail. Then release her to play. It's an incredible skill to teach puppies and dogs. It really helps when you're at something like a dog park and want to go home :) It also helps keep energy levels from going overboard.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice, clearly she is just playing after reading all of these comments. The picture is very similiar just closer to the head.

Seriously people, I really appreciate the feedback. This site is so bad ass! hahahah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts