Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wonder man seems to be very keen on tracking in general. Whenever we are anywhere new, he's nose-to-the-ground and all business. How do we get started in teaching him to track? Are there classes out there? Could SCH trainers help? Will learning to track interrupt his obedience training?

I think tracking will help me learn to trust him and be more zen while around him. He may like it, but I think it will teach me more than it will teach him! :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
tracking is one of the few things that i have found you CAN do successfully on your own without a trainer - its always nice to have input, but you can start basics on training alone by yourself. there are a couple good books on training - i have some, but alas right now i am too lazy to get up to find them (spent 9 hours at a match today and rah was in four classes, i can barely move im so tired and hes PASSED OUT). basically using food drive, you start with scent pads and go from there - how you go further depends on how you want to compete (ie schutzhund tracking, where nose needs to stay in the track, v. AKC tracking where its more permissable to have air scenting...)

(i also sheepishly just realized i never responded to your pm, so ill get on that ASAP)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Here's a link to where you could get some books.
I bought "Tracking, from the ground up" but have yet to open it, as we're concentrating on Conformation right now.
http://www.workingdogs.com/book015.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am starting my first tracking class in 2 weeks and have been reading all I can on the topic. Below is a link to one of the books that I really like and it was highly recommend by a friend who is really into tracking. It is geard towards DIY training and is a quick read.

NOVICE NOSEWORK by Ed Presnall & Lois Ballard

There is another book by the same author on that page "Tracklaying 101" and it was very helpful. I will let you know if I learn anything interesting or helpful in class.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts