Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive been studing what sort of training to do with Rex not even to do in competitions but just to improve his quality of life and give him purpose, and well if it goes well who knows. so i want to give schutzhund training a go ive ordered 2 books and have already done alot of research but what i want to know from you guys are any tips on how to start a 18 week puppy off in this sport and what equipment i will need.

also the obedience part what the best way to go about getting a proper velcro heel with the eye focus???

any help is greatly appriciated and go easy im new to all this :roflmao:

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
First, schutzhund isn't necessarily a 'train at home' kind of sport. There is an experienced member on this board who does a lot of his own training because of his location (Alaska), but this is not preferred, and would be nearly impossible for a beginner. (Adhan can speak for himself of course!)

The best thing to do would be to find local schutzhund clubs in your area, go watch their training, and decide if you are ready for the commitment. Then join the club. I can't imagine trying to do anything but the obedience on your own (without a professional or other guidance) and even the obedience requires other people, other dogs, other distractions etc.

I'm only at my BH level, and even then, there is no way I could've gotten this far on my own. I laid the foundation by myself, then found a training group to actually 'get into the sport'.

From my experience, schutzhund is very serious. I train every single day, and twice a week with a trainer/group. I travel an hour each way on tuesday nights and saturday mornings with Zeus, and on Friday nights, I go to work my trainer's dogs in protection because Zeus does not have the aptitude, but I am interested in learning. It is not a sport you can just 'do here and there' or just really for the sake of having something to do occasionally. With this attitude, it seems most schutzhund clubs will not invest in you. (If you are not gonna devote the hard work and time every single week). It is very time consuming.

Also, I spoke to a trainer last week who explained to me why they are so hesitant to start people in the 'protection' when they have not built a relationship with the group and shown their commitment via obedience. Obedience comes first, protection last. Someone is not going to train a dog to 'bite' without knowing everything about you, and knowing that you are responsible enough to own a schutzhund trained dog.

As far as the heeling, there are many methods, I used a whole bunch of them, but overall it just took a lot of research, a lot of video watching, asking people's opinions etc. But as a forewarning, you can not teach the dog to heel while maintaining eye contact, if they do not understand how to 'focus' on you to begin with. I spent 2 months teaching Zeus how to focus and make eye contact before I ever asked for it while heeling. Focus is the foundation for everything obedience, and if I don't have my dog's focus, I ain't gonna train him like that or reward him.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I would search for a DVG or AWDF club in your area. Those organizations hold trials and training on a regular basis. Hope you can find one close to you.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Looks like there are a few Schutzhund (IPO) clubs in Ireland and this site lists a few GSA Ireland - National German Shepherd Working Dog Association Ltd - GSA Groups

I am not sure if there are other clubs or governing IPO bodies in Ireland. Highly recommend you attend a few clubs and see if there is one where you feel comfortable. Not every club is alike in terms of training program, cost, atmosphere etc.

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
I would search for a DVG or AWDF club in your area. Those organizations hold trials and training on a regular basis. Hope you can find one close to you.
The OP's location is clearly listed as Northern Ireland, s/he's not going to find a DVG or AWDF club there.

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes i have found a club that i will be attending in the next month after i finish university as i dont want to start somthing and then miss a week or two due to exams etc its a good 1 hr 30 mins from me but the trainers are very professional and experts with dobes (the trainer owns 4 dobes and a great dane) so i am committed i just wanted to lay a foundation first before starting if you get me??

thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
yes i have found a club that i will be attending in the next month after i finish university as i dont want to start somthing and then miss a week or two due to exams etc its a good 1 hr 30 mins from me but the trainers are very professional and experts with dobes (the trainer owns 4 dobes and a great dane) so i am committed i just wanted to lay a foundation first before starting if you get me??

thanks
He is 18 weeks old. I Know you are excited to start training but wait to attend the club and learn how to instill a foundation first with the club. The club will teach you how to put on a foundation. No one expects a 18 week old puppy to have perfect healing. Plus you have your exams over the next few weeks to keep you busy :D Remember its harder to retrain than train right the first one time. Good luck and can't wait for an update on when you attend club for the first time!

Reactions: Asmit

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Best foundation? Socialize, socialize, and socialize! I also start attention and tracking around 10 weeks or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts