Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
genbob9
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just adopted my first doberman last week and he starts whining when I'm not petting him or when I'm eating dinner he will whine and beg for food. the shelter who used to have him said he shows no sighs of abuse and I'm with him all day and I'm giving him enough food so why does he whine like this and how can i train him to stop?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
He probably does it because he wants attention. You need to ignore it completely. Don't look at him, don't talk to him, don't give him treats, etc when he whines but, instead, wait for it to stop and THEN have a party. He should pick up quickly the idea what whining doesn't get him attention but being quiet will.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Pilot is a very smart boy...these one figure mom &/dad, is my best buddy - for life...and I never be far away, in phyical body or voice.

Doesn't matter if he came from a shelter (or not) / mine came from a good breeder at 8 weeks old.
- 9 weeks old she learned how to lick the contents very clean, in the dishwasher / steak knives, not neven a concern / no cuts in 11 years
- Amy always get last bite, of our food...and really enjoys licking our plates totally clean / before wash
It is our treat to her (for being our angle) and she is what we wanted...and dreamed for / almost humanly intelligent.
(could be worse...LOL)
All the good ones beg for attention / just consider yourself lucky...seekng honest LOVE 4-you !!

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Chanel can be an attention suck at times, but we do not allow her to stay in the room while we are eating. Don't feed your new dog from the table & send him to lie down (or put him in a crate if you use one) while you are eating. There is nothing worse than feeling guilty about eating your dinner because of big sad eyes from a pampered pooch.
Kate

·
Registered
88 Posts
Atlas knows that whining will get him ignored, so he sits quietly and nudges my hand when I walk by. If I'm sitting down, he lays his head in my lap. My favorite part of the day is coming home to my dogs and watching them both scramble to claim a spot for their heads on my lap as soon as I sit down.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
So, we do feed Elka at the table. Because it was easier to train her than my fiancé :rolleyesww: If she is whining, or groaning, or ON ME, she gets nothing. If she is going to "beg", she must either sit or lay down, and she gets food at the end.

If you're going to stick to some "no people food" guns, you might ry to work on a "go to your bed", "go to your place", or crate him while you're eating, if he can't behave. Pick a strategy and train him to it, for both of your sanity! The whining can really drive me up a wall....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts