Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Adorable.. that type of toy can be very dangerous..
All those strings can be swallowed and wrap around the intestines.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adorable.. that type of toy can be very dangerous..
All those strings can be swallowed and wrap around the intestines.
yeah I hear ya. He only chews it under my supervision, he tears it up and spits it out. If he didnt I wouldnt allow him to have it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there!
They sure do have fun doing it tho.
haha yeah he really enjoys destroying those things, if I buy a toy im buying it knowing that he will spend all his efforts destroying the it not necessarily playing with it.

Reactions: rainddobes

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
He's beautiful!

I haven't found a single thing these guys can chew in a heartbeat. I mean nothing.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
RIP monkey knot...but there's no way those dragons got away! good boy Odin ;)

Reactions: o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Big Black Kong,Hurley Bones,Gough Nuts.com are the only things Buddy has not killed also have to Kong Balls but they are put up after playing.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
You can be right there and he can swallow the threads. It is a very dangerous toy. We did lots of surgeries at our vet clinic because of those toys and the owners always said that they supervised the play. Really - just try to imagine if you are quick enough to catch a thread going down the hatch because your dog can't spit it out.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Orbee balls are tough too. Now that he's older, Griff can have stuffed toys without destroying them, but I still get the Fire Hose stuff just in case.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Wow he is so handsome :)

I agree with the others though. The only time I give my dogs rope toys is if we're playing tug, I def. dont let them chew and gnaw away at them. I knew of one person whose dog died from strands of a rope toy wrapping around his intestines. It happens so be careful!

Prime got that giant t-Rex from his secret Santa and he still hasn't been able to puncture it or tear it up! I love that toy!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have lots of different types of Kong toys, but marrow bones are their favorite and I think the safest...:)

Reactions: Q734

·
Premium Member
10,290 Posts
You can be right there and he can swallow the threads. It is a very dangerous toy. We did lots of surgeries at our vet clinic because of those toys and the owners always said that they supervised the play. Really - just try to imagine if you are quick enough to catch a thread going down the hatch because your dog can't spit it out.
String obstructions are horrible and we do too many of them at the clinic where I work. After I saw my first (it happened to be a cat not a dog) I quit giving my dogs the knot toys.

triciakoontz is right--you can be right there and figure the dog has swallowed nothing and find out that you were wrong about that. The threads that get swallowed often knot themselves together inside the dog and make an elongated thin rope through the guts--as peristalsis (and I've probably spelled that wrong) takes place if one end of the stringy bit gets stuck any place it will saw holes in the gut. A friend nearly lost one of her bitches that way--and she was the one who never played with the knots--until the day that she did and ended up with a string obstruction and two surgeries because the first one removed the blockage and all the string but they missed some very small holes on the mesentary side of the gut and those leaked fluid and food into the abdomen--the second surgery was much more complicated and she was in intensive care at a very good emergency clinic for 10 days and hooked up to more IV lines than I've ever seen on one dog before or since.

And unfortunately the spot where an end gets pinned is often around a tooth. As much as some of my dogs liked the knots no one gets them any more. They are in the same category at my house as stuffed toys--up to four months puppies get them and the cats have them but the big dogs cant have them--I'm a big spoilsport but I've seen the end results from the inside of a dog.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
When I first saw this thread skimmed it w/a heavy heart thinking it was your boy that was RIP. *whew*

I'm so wound up I'd of had a cardiac arrest watching him tear that up.
He's a beautiful boy. What a sweet face.

I gave up trying to give Nina anything that isn't dang near the closest thing to cement without breaking her teeth. Kongs, bullies(w/supervision) and an occasional knuckle bone are all I'm ok with.

Every single time I've tried to buck my rule I've been sorry. Our girl even destroyed a large jollyball in a matter of less than 5 minutes.

Never did the stuffie thing ever due to the risk of my daughter's stuffed animal menagerie being considered fair game.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm I didn't know that were that many incidents with rope obstruction. I guess I won't allow him to have them anymore, thanks for the replies and the warnings. I bought him a fire hose toy today and that toy didn't more than 30 minutes before he had killed the squeaker, ripped the seam open and tear out the guts lol. My next toy I guess will be the kong and maybe some other rubber based toys. But I feel he truly enjoys the destroying part lol.

Luckily the lady I bought the toy from said that they will give me my money back if I was dissatisfied with the toy. I think I will try the puzzle toys. Anyone have any suggestions of any other toys?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts