Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you Doberman Lovers. I have truly enjoyed this site ; I found it after bringing home Jake . We got him over Thanksgiving weekend. He has been a lot of fun and work...LOL!!! He is way more spirited than my previous Dobie. We have been training; he has learned sit, down, come, stay already and constanly learning NOOOOO!!! I had a little of a rough start with him; after I obtained him from a girl out of our local paper from a town approx. 1 hour away; She was the owner of the dame; her brother in law owned the stud; She had CKC registration papers. We were very excited as I really wanted another Red doberman but hadn't had any luck finding one near us. She met me with him half way and I paid her cash for him; only 300 dollars. I now know looking back; that I was too eager and very gullable; I have a tendancy to believe everyone is honest; to make a long story a little shorter; I took him to see my vet; he was 11 weeks at the time; and the vet believed the pup had already been " castrated". I had noticed a wound on his scrotum; that I cleaned with soap and water; and put a little antibiotic ointment on; that healed right up. I was shocked!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continued.. I called the lady I bought him from and couldn't reach her; left messages; several days later she responded to my txts; Denied that he was castrated; wouldn't answer phone calls ; just my txts; I called the CKC and inquired if the breeder had any compliants; they had a different #; I called it and left a message; The breeder name was not the same as the girl; however the number they gave me was hers as she txt me back mad the I disrespected her private #. I have never been able to speak with her about it. Jakeup seems healthy; and is doing great. I sent of for the pedigree however; who knows if he truley is the pup listed on the papers. According to his pedigree his father was white. I now believe that mabye they castrated him to keep him from producing white pups. I am sending in a compliant in writing to CKC. I am hoping he does not have any ill effects from such early nip of the manhood. My vet said that he shouldn't; I read up on it ; he may have longer bones. I was only buying him for a pet; wasn't planning on breeding; but wouldn't have ever done that so early. We love Jake and will keep you posted on his progress....

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and CKC reg should have given you a clue it was not a stellar breeding or person you were dealing with. At least they did the rsponsible thing and neutered him. No one wants to see CKC reg continued. You can reg anything with a fee and a picture.

For $300.00 you got what you paid for PLUS neutering so you should be glad it saved you the money.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Texas, your boy is a cutie.

This is my feelings exactly.
Welcome from Missouri and CKC reg should have given you a clue it was not a stellar breeding or person you were dealing with. At least they did the rsponsible thing and neutered him. No one wants to see CKC reg continued. You can reg anything with a fee and a picture.

For $300.00 you got what you paid for PLUS neutering so you should be glad it saved you the money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that you get what you pay for....Actually he is worth way more than what we have invested...He is awesome....and true that we don't have to neuter him...which we had planned on doing anyway...I just would have appreciated honesty....Thanks PatchworkRobot...I agree too ...he is a cutie!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT, I'm glad you found us, you'll learn a lot here from very knowledgeable dobie people :) do you know the pup's vwd status at all?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No ZeldaR. I dont. I contacted the vet she took him to for shots, dewclaws, tail dock etc...that had never heard of her nor did they recently have dobie puppies....so she wasn't truthful about that either...

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
That's terrible! Well this place is a good resource for anything you may need help with as your pup ages. Thanks for sharing pics!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went shopping and bought him some new toys today!!! He had fun with all of them. I also got him a large chicken flavor nylabone; He LOVED it. Does anyone have any experience re: the Nylabones?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does anyone have any experience re: the Nylabones?
Koa used them when he was little - we had the "puppy" one for about a week before it became apparent that he was too strong a chewer for them! I've always bought the heavy chewer ones for him since. He seems to only like certain shapes of them, which is interesting. I've seen in other threads where some people have had negative experiences with them, but I haven't with my guy - now that he's older he usually prefers antler to the nylabone.

Welcome from Michigan!!

Amy & Koa

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Koa used them when he was little - we had the "puppy" one for about a week before it became apparent that he was too strong a chewer for them! I've always bought the heavy chewer ones for him since. He seems to only like certain shapes of them, which is interesting. I've seen in other threads where some people have had negative experiences with them, but I haven't with my guy - now that he's older he usually prefers antler to the nylabone.

Welcome from Michigan!!

Amy & Koa
Thanks!!! Jake was wearing the ends of this bone out. It is a large size; the package states that it will make groves from the chewing that will clean the teeth and small rice size debris from the chewing is normal; I was a just a little unsure. I will supervise to make sure he does not get large pieces off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts