Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rush was stung by bee upper lip area. We removed stinger gave him Benadryl. Slight swelling. Other than monitor is there anything else we should do? He is acting normal right now chewing on elk antler.

Sorry not very good at searching sight. I know someone else has probably asked.

Thank you in advance

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Watch for any sign of anaphylaxsis. If he starts panting heavily, or seems to be shaky or disoriented, take him to the emergency clinic.

Reactions: madmyk and Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Lots of my dogs have had bee stings. I have had a few bee hunters. :)

I usually do nothing except keep an eye on it.

Only ever had two dogs who had to be given an antihistamine to reduce the swelling.

Hugz to Rush!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
When Fiona was stung she took a hit in several places on her face and it was not pretty. She was in quite a bit of pain so I gave her benadryl (dosage as recommended by the e-vet) and I kept ice on the bad swelling off and on for 6-hours to help it to go down and ease her pain.

Other than that, as long as the dog doesn't show signs of a severe reaction (if so, get to the e-vet ASAP), all you can do is just keep an eye on him and try to keep him comfortable.

Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help, advice and concern. He is back to his old goofy self and hopefully learned a lesson, bees are not edible!!!
Glad it turned out OK, don't bet on the lesson learning. As smart as they are, there seems to be a strange attraction to flying insects.

The worst doberpaw injury I sustained was from Malia. She spotted a wasp on the wall in the house. It was above the couch. I was on the couch. My face was just one of many rungs on the ladder. Three, count them, THREE sets of claw marks. First was climbing, other two were the rear feet using my face as a spring board to catch enough air. :(

In her defense, it was my fault. I saw her eyeing something on the wall and I told her "Get the bug".

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
yah, my new guy is an insect hunter, I was warned by one of his former owners that Charlie has a fetish for bees and hornets.

I had to be quick to save a Hunmmingbird that had flown into my cabin and was buzzing up and down the window trying to get out. Charlie thought it was a bee.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
HAHA aww. Yeah don't count on him learning from it. Bronson is a bee hunter and has been stung more than 10 times in the face. And 3 times in the feet.
I know it hurts and freaks out when I try to pull the stinger out. Not fun when its in his mouth :(

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I agree with the others. Fiona did not learn her lesson. She will still try to eat any buzzing, stinging thing she can if I'm not paying attention.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You all were so right about flying things. We just go in from our nightly walk and he was trying to catch a butterfly when I stopped to talk to my neighbor. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts