Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people thought about allowing your pup to sleep in the bed with you..... I have recently started allowing Jaxon up on the bed after a couple months of sleeping in his crate. He absolutely LOVES it! and I must admit he is a great bed buddy....and heater lol! I am concerned however that this may lead to obedience issues....though it hasn't yet. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Jonesy has slept in the bed with me ever since he was about 12 months old (or since I trusted him out of the crate) around the same time...

I haven't had any issues with obedience.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I don't particularly like having Nina next to me, but my husband does. So occasionally he lets her up on the bed on his side. It is nice to have a cuddle buddy sometimes, but I don't like her (or anything) lying right against me. If you like it, I see no reason not to continue.

However, we have trained her to sit and wait before she is invited up (same goes for furniture). If she jumps up without the OK, she is told off and lies in her bed. In my opinion, if you teach them that it's OK only when you give permission, there won't be any issues.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think you'll find a pretty decent mix of "our dogs have always been on our bed," "my dog will never sleep on my bed," and "my dog sometimes is allowed on the furniture" responses.

At 10 months my boy is purely a crate sleeper. He isn't allowed on any furniture, including beds. When he's 2ish I'll allow him on the bed rarely with permission but I want him definitely old enough that he gets that it's not his spot to be whenever he wishes and he needs my permission to be on any furniture.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bedbuddies

We love having our 2 dobermans in bed with us. We even bought a king size bed so all 3 could sleep with us(we have since lost our Baron) My husband was just in the hospital for 11 days and my nights were spent as the middle of a doberman sandwich, one on each side of me. I felt very protected and warm!!! The only downside of this is there isn't a lot of grass in parts of our backyard so sand is an issue, I just shake out the sheets each night. I don't know if I could fall asleep in bed with out my little girl curled up next to my chest? To each their own, but I luv it.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
My dogs allow me a small portion of the bed.

The pretzel shape I necessarily must adopt keeps my chiro's kids' college fund fat and healthy.

(Seriously, if sleeping on the bed or not causes obedience problems, there is already an existing far-greater relationship problem with your dogs, and in your training program with them.)

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,821 Posts
I allow Coco on the bed sometimes with permission. She always waits until she is invited in and if not she sleeps on her bed in our room. Sometimes she prefers to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed or in the hallway upstairs so that she can monitor everyone's bedrooms. She also does patrols throughout the night and buts open everyone's bedroom doors to make sure everything is ok lol. It is your choice what you want to allow. As long as they know they must get permission first I don't see it as a problem.:butfly:

·
Super Moderator
22,928 Posts
My dogs do not make good bed partners and there really isn't room, so they sleep on the couch at night.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dogs allow me a small portion of the bed.

The pretzel shape I necessarily must adopt keeps my chiro's kids' college fund fat and healthy.

(Seriously, if sleeping on the bed or not causes obedience problems, there is already an existing far-greater relationship problem with your dogs, and in your training program with them.)
As I said at the beginning of this thread, This hasn't created any problems for me. I was just interested in other members experiences.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Willy has been sleeping on the bed since he was 6 months old. There haven't been
any issues. Except when he gets up in middle of the night, makes a 360 circle and
flops back down. And the snoring. And occasionally getting a Doberpaw to the face
when he stretches. And waking up in the morning trying to figure out why he has most
of the bed and I am hanging on to the nightstand.
But no issues.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,571 Posts
I insist that my dogs wait to be invited up, and also that they get off the bed instantly (allowing for a few doggy groans during the waking up process) when asked. Aside from that, I've had to resort to a thumb to the ribs (LOL) when I want them to move over because their snoring is too loud or their elbows are too pointy-----but I've never had any discipline problems because we share a bed.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Relating to the Question - Dobe sleeping on the bed, in my personal opinion:
- can build the human bond some & maybe the desire to please / so OB should increase, if anything (sure doesn't hurt any)
10 years ago - our pup would start out with my son, and as soon as he fell asleep - our girl would find her Dad and bed switch, for the rest of the night.
- last night our son slept over / even his 7lb dog, sleeps with my wife & I

The crate was sold, the dog bed was stored in the spare room - Amy rotates during the day, from a leather sofa or the love seat.
- she is respectful of her status, in the home / no permission is ever granted, to were she cares to rest
She can pick and choose, her own nap area.

When I was at work, and there was a severe thunderstorm - this was the only time she would sleep on the bed, during the day time.
- it made her (the big baby) feel more secure

Amy always has a stuffed animal on the bed and a blankie.
- she will shake her neck and dingle her dog tag...if she wants covered up
She never stops finding ways to communicate her needs to mom & dad...to get spoiled...lol.
- she has been totally obedient, and the constant 24/7 closeness to the human caregiver / may be part of it

Now the down side (as I have observed), of dog sleeping on the masters bed - and won't sleep anywhere else, at night:
Can lead to bad separation anxiety, if recovering from Vet surgery...and not properly crate trained.
Kennel boarding is also not even possible, with our girl / which is fine by us.

I view the master bed privilege, as a positive experience, in the journey of creating our dog.
- just more pluses than negatives overall here

·
Premium Member
8,621 Posts
Every one of my girls has slept on the bed with me from the time they have come home. Never an issue as I would never allow it to be. The first two girls loved to cuddle. Roxy however loves to curl up at the end of the bed. She does want her blanket pulled over her and it is a night time routine that my husband enjoys doing.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka sleeps in bed with me (or us, depending on the work/home situations). If we find we're tired of having feet or nose poked into us, downstairs to the couch she goes. We haven't had any problems, and really, that further level of contact (once we were able, with the potty training) seemed to make Elka more relaxed during the day.

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
All three of our dogs, Shaka (Rottie-RIP), Dartagnan (Doberman-RIP), and Maximus have all three slept in bed with us. We have never experienced any disipline issues with any of the three. I know exactly where Max is and what is going on if he is in bed with us. Also, we never had any accidents at night. When a dog get up in the middle of the night, we knew he had to go out.

And besides, there is nothing like waking up to the dog breathing on your neck as he is sharing your pillow! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I can't trust Gunner out of the crate yet at night, but once I do, I'm sure he will be in our bed. With my hubby overseas, I would feel a lot safer with my big dobe boy right there :) All of my past dogs have slept in our bed...except for my sheltie. He liked to chew sheets ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts