Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back again and I was hoping if some one could give me some advice on training our pup. My husband and I are trying to use the Cesar Milon's Pack Leader training. (For any one who might not know his training goes off of that dogs naturelly need a pack leader and if you don't step up and take the role your dog will. One of the few things we have been trying to do is with walking. Our puppy walks beside or behind never in front of us and is made to sit down when my husband and I take him in or out of the door and comes in and out after us.) If any one has more information on how to become the pack leader I would appriciate it. Or if you have any other helpful hints on any other type of trianing I would appriciate it.

On a good note though we almost have potty training down :) Our puppy is very bright in that he will let us know when needs to go out day or night by whining and walking to the front door. I swear I should have gottan a Doby years ago!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You might be interested in these articles. Note - I am not a Ceasar fan myself

Dog Whisperer, Dog Psychology and Cesar Millan
Cesar Millan - The Dog Whisperer: Critics Answers

I prefer positive training techniques and feel they work on all dogs. I do not mean positive ONLY as in the dog does whatever he/she wants all day long and without consequences. We use clicker training with our dogs.

To add: rules are great. Self control is great. Sitting at doorways is a great behavior. If you dont want your dog to walk in front of you that's fine. But I don't believe it's going to make him rule your roost if you do either.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sitting at the door and walki g behind is also because I husband and I are expecting and want to be able to have our kids be able to handle Kona at a young age and with the fact that Kona and I may go live with my mombwhen my husband deploys and I have two young sisters aged 4 and 2 who love dogs and I want to be able to have Kona kid friendly for all the youngsters. This seemed like the best way to start helping him learn not to pull on the leash when some one is walking him. And thank you all for the advice. My husband and I are looking into getting enrolled in classes and thebonly ones we have been able to find are at petsmart. Does any one have any insight on how well these classes work?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I take in all I can on training from all sources and take what I want from each style. One thing I do is NILF (nothing in life is free) which somethings when she was very young were. Make your dog earn everything. You are already doing it for him to get in and out the door, he has to sit. Clicker training is great! I wish I had started sooner with Kyrah. I believe I started after she was 6 months. It is a great way to communicate with your dog in a positive manner.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Where would I be able to buy a clicker? And what does clicker training consist of? I have seen it used before but am a little sketchy on how it really works

Did you read any of the linked information?

Clicker training works great, but you aren't going to be able to do it on your own.

You can search on APDT, state by state, and find a trainer who can teach you how to properly use one, and how to improve your timing.

Btw, just a quick comment on all that nonsense about going thru the door before your dog, and eating first and all that.

My dogs, at my request and direction, walk thru the doorway beside me if I so ask, in front of me if I direct them to, or behind me if I ask. That is real training--getting the communication precise so the dogs know what you would like them to do, in any given situation.

Very handy for safety's sake, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I say read as much as you can and take whatever works for your dog. Dogs don't all respond the same way. This forum is great, you can probably do a search for any issues that come up. Another great site for dog info I have found is leerburg.com.
And of course obedience classes are a must, preferably try to find a trainer that doesn't just work with friendly golden retrievers but experience with tougher dogs.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I seem to remember Lakewood being just a bit NW of McChord AFB, and only about 12-15 miles from Tacoma. You should have no problem finding training classes. Contact the TACOMA KENNEL CLUB for a referral, I am sure they will be happy to help you find something in your area.

Reactions: Adara
1 - 13 of 13 Posts