Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning up the doberman room at work, I came across a bunch of old magazine adds. I absolutely love the ones below! Oh how I miss the dobes of yesteryear. They'll always be beautiful but I really love the looks I've seen from back then :) Enjoy! and does anyone know where these kennels are located? If they're still operating that is...

Hope you enjoyed them, there were others from recommended breeders and members too(kansa, lyndobes and etc...), but these were my favs.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
While cleaning up the doberman room at work, I came across a bunch of old magazine adds. I absolutely love the ones below! Oh how I miss the dobes of yesteryear. They'll always be beautiful but I really love the looks I've seen from back then :) Enjoy! and does anyone know where these kennels are located? If they're still operating that is...

Beaulane is still active. So is Deerun, Lemils, Ravenswoods, Sherluck and Goldgrove. Some of these people were and are very fine breeders, others (both active and no longer breeding) I wouldn't buy a dog from if they had the last dogs on earth.

That isn't a particularly good picture of a Shinya dog, but the breeder consistently produced cookie cutter dogs-very smooth, very "pretty", and with TERRIBLE temperaments. ANYTHING could and did happen when there was a Shinya dog in the ring!

Being honest, the front assemblies on many, if not most of the dogs in the pictures you posted are pretty terrible. We've lost ground in some areas over the years, but we've also gained a lot of ground in important areas. Fronts are a good example of that.

Oh-you wanted locations...Goldgrove is in North Carolina, I *think* Beaulane is as well. Deerun is in the Pacific NW, so is Sherluck. Lemils is in Arizona. Ravenswoods is on the east coast somewhere, maybe Connecticut?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beaulane is still active. So is Deerun, Lemils, Ravenswoods, Sherluck and Goldgrove. Some of these people were and are very fine breeders, others (both active and no longer breeding) I wouldn't buy a dog from if they had the last dogs on earth.

That isn't a particularly good picture of a Shinya dog, but the breeder consistently produced cookie cutter dogs-very smooth, very "pretty", and with TERRIBLE temperaments. ANYTHING could and did happen when there was a Shinya dog in the ring!

Being honest, the front assemblies on many, if not most of the dogs in the pictures you posted are pretty terrible. We've lost ground in some areas over the years, but we've also gained a lot of ground in important areas. Fronts are a good example of that.

Oh-you wanted locations...Goldgrove is in North Carolina, I *think* Beaulane is as well. Deerun is in the Pacific NW, so is Sherluck. Lemils is in Arizona. Ravenswoods is on the east coast somewhere, maybe Connecticut?
Wow! thanks for all the info, I expected the bolded part so no surprise there, and the pictures weren't as shiny on the camera as now, but I'll definitely file all that in the doberman conformation and breeders part of my brain.
I think my favorite part about them was just how much they reminded me of original pictures of dobermans. Like I said they'll always be beautiful but I like that medium between american and european styles that are currently out there, 80% of the show dobes I like now are boys, I just can't find a girl I like very often.....but I'm very picky too lol

BTW how ironic that the temperaments suck and the dogs name is hell hath no furry!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually, I think the best of the best for the last few years have been bitches.
entirley possible, I haven't been to many shows. Plus it's all personal opinion since everyone likes different looks, though obviously we all know that fifi is absolutely gorgeous :D

Am I correct that they are to straight in their fronts, and some are to far under themselves?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
entirley possible, I haven't been to many shows. Plus it's all personal opinion since everyone likes different looks, though obviously we all know that fifi is absolutely gorgeous :D

Am I correct that they are to straight in their fronts, and some are to far under themselves?
Very true-everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Plenty of straight fronts in those pictures, also dogs with short/straight upper arms, which places the front assembly too far forward. I don't think I can remember ever seeing a doberman whose front was too far under it.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very true-everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Plenty of straight fronts in those pictures, also dogs with short/straight upper arms, which places the front assembly too far forward. I don't think I can remember ever seeing a doberman whose front was too far under it.
I have a feeling I worded it wrong, I'm terrible at that when it comes to conformation or most things really lol. Once you mentioned it I looked at them again though and noticed it right off!

·
Registered
959 Posts
..............................snip...............

but the breeder consistently produced cookie cutter dogs-very smooth, very "pretty", and with TERRIBLE temperaments. ANYTHING could and did happen when there was a Shinya dog in the ring!

..........................snip............
For some time I have been very curious about the temperaments of past Dobermann's.

If you don't mind, would you please elaborate on the temperament of those dogs? (Were they sharp, shy, lacking focus or ???). Could you relate some stories or incidents of things that happened?

Thanks!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
For some time I have been very curious about the temperaments of past Dobermann's.

If you don't mind, would you please elaborate on the temperament of those dogs? (Were they sharp, shy, lacking focus or ???). Could you relate some stories or incidents of things that happened?

Thanks!
Shinya dogs defined the term spook. If you found one that wasn't a spook, it was rare and totally accidental. I always described it to people as sometimes they just thought scary thoughts. A lot of the times there was no predictability to what would freak them out, and when. They might see or hear something nine times and have no problem with it, then the tenth time it would completely blow their minds.

One of my first dobermans was closely linebred on a Shinya dog, and she lived up to her genetics. If anyone sneezed (even us), she'd gallop out of the room in a panic. Now, there was a funny side to that. She was one of the smartest dobermans I ever was around, and she reasoned that if it was scary to her it might be scary to us, too....so when she was feeling particularly frisky and playful, she'd come into the room and start sneezing at us.

Another Shinya dog I know of, a male, was taken to someone's house for a breeding. No one could lay a hand on him the entire time he was there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have personally been around the Shinya dog. You had to watch yourself around him. He was a very nice dog but had a "sharp" temperment. Murrydobe I believe the account of "no one could lay a hand on him". It was nice to see the ads of "Justin" he was a nice dog. I had a bitch by him, she did not turn out so we rehomed her. Thanks Sam1491 for posting those ads, it's fun to look back and see the past and compare to the present.

·
Registered
959 Posts

If anyone sneezed (even us), she'd gallop out of the room in a panic. Now, there was a funny side to that. She was one of the smartest dobermans I ever was around, and she reasoned that if it was scary to her it might be scary to us, too....so when she was feeling particularly frisky and playful, she'd come into the room and start sneezing at us.

LOL!! Funny stuff right there! Well, not funny that she was spooky; but funny that she actually tried to reciprocate!

If one looks for them, there are plenty of pictures of the older dogs around. There is little I have found documenting temperament though, other than people repeating the claim that the dogs had "bad" temperaments.

Unless dogs are evaluated for temperament via some sort of objective testing/scoring and that evaluation is documented in some sort of standardized format, all we have is first hand accounts of things such as you described.

It sort of bums me out that #1 there isn't/wasn't a objective temperament testing and scoring system, and #2 when you guys are gone (and I hope that isn't any time soon) your first hand observations and stories of how those dogs behaved will be gone with you.

Reactions: Sherryh and Sam1491

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LOL!! Funny stuff right there! Well, not funny that she was spooky; but funny that she actually tried to reciprocate!

If one looks for them, there are plenty of pictures of the older dogs around. There is little I have found documenting temperament though, other than people repeating the claim that the dogs had "bad" temperaments.

Unless dogs are evaluated for temperament via some sort of objective testing/scoring and that evaluation is documented in some sort of standardized format, all we have is first hand accounts of things such as you described.

It sort of bums me out that #1 there isn't/wasn't a objective temperament testing and scoring system, and #2 when you guys are gone (and I hope that isn't any time soon) your first hand observations and stories of how those dogs behaved will be gone with you.
Yeah, the part that was funny is that she thought she was reciprocating. I put as big a bandaid as it's possible to put on a bad temperament, with massive amounts of socialization and not babying her. And she lived a happy life, dying at 2 months short of 13 years.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have personally been around the Shinya dog. You had to watch yourself around him. He was a very nice dog but had a "sharp" temperment. Murrydobe I believe the account of "no one could lay a hand on him". It was nice to see the ads of "Justin" he was a nice dog. I had a bitch by him, she did not turn out so we rehomed her. Thanks Sam1491 for posting those ads, it's fun to look back and see the past and compare to the present.
I loved ravenswood! (notice I they have three adds...)especially justin, the pictures of the add don't do him justice!

i love going through all the 'earlier' dobe magazines.

always appreciated much about the teraden dobes.

amazing how photos can bring back so many memories for us older dobernuts. :)

thanks for the reminder Sam1491!
No problem, it was fun to see the styles back then, even a few pictures from hometown shoes or members/breeders from this forum. I think she has more in the room but I haven't really got that much done as far as organizing and cleaning yet as I wanted too. If I find anymore I'll post some. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts