Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beau is very ball focused and could care less about other dogs at the dog park when there is a ball in sight. He has never reacted to other dogs who are bothering him by mounting or chewing on him and if another dog steals his ball he just walks about 5 feet behind them until they drop it...in summary, Beau is very non-confrontational and usually runs to us and away from the fight anytime there is an issue with other dogs fighting. To clarify, he isn't timid at all he just doesn't want to be part of it. It is nice most of the time except when his ball gets stolen and the other owner won't get it back from their dog.

Yesterday there was a dog there who's owner was a long distance away (not paying attention to his dog) and the dog ran up and starting growling and biting at Beau. Beau ran toward us and the dog went away...but then came back about 30 seconds later and full speed charged Beau, body slammed him, and started attacking him and not giving up. Beau didn't fight back at first and then just got on his hind legs and sort of pinned the other dog on the ground (no biting or anything just basically stood over him) and basically just gave him the look of "Don't mess with me!" I seriously could not have been a prouder momma, that is exactly how I would like him to respond when he is being picked on-by being assertive and dominating without biting or fighting.

So as this was going on of course I am sprinting over to them to pull this dog off of Beau and what is the other owner doing? NOTHING!!! What the heck is wrong with people??? He saw it happen and all he did was call his dog. When the dog got to him he just made him sit there for like 5 seconds and then released him...that dog is NOT ready to be in the dog park...I made sure to make LOUD comments to my husband about how the dog needed his owner to take more time to train him before bringing him to the dog park.

Anyway, all he got were some scratches on his back (no blood just raised skin that is easy to see because he barely has any hair :) ) but I about lost my mind with that owner...

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am glad your boy is OK! Sadly I have been in this situation more times then I care to mention on here but at least he tried to protect himself without being violent! This seems to be common protocol when it comes to off leash owners with highly unpredictable dogs, they never seem to be in a rush to help out even though their dog is the instigator!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am glad your boy is OK! Sadly I have been in this situation more times then I care to mention on here but at least he tried to protect himself without being violent! This seems to be common protocol when it comes to off leash owners with highly unpredictable dogs, they never seem to be in a rush to help out even though their dog is the instigator!
It's interesting because we go to the dog park because we enjoy spending time with Beau and letting him have lots of fun fetching and playing but so often we see people who are just leaning against the fence on the phone/internet and not even paying attention to their dog, even when their dog wants to play with them...

I so badly wanted to give the guy a tongue lashing but I tried to keep calm and I was just thankful Beau wasn't badly hurt...I just worry about the next dog.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's interesting because we go to the dog park because we enjoy spending time with Beau and letting him have lots of fun fetching and playing but so often we see people who are just leaning against the fence on the phone/internet and not even paying attention to their dog, even when their dog wants to play with them...

I so badly wanted to give the guy a tongue lashing but I tried to keep calm and I was just thankful Beau wasn't badly hurt...I just worry about the next dog.
Last time I did give the other owners a good shouting at. Most of it in English so my profanities didn't really mean much to them as they were German but it certainly made me feel better. Sometimes people just need to be told the truth, and if they don't like what you have to say, tough!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't you just love people! I am very calm person until it comes to my dogs. Just yesterday two dogs were fighting and the owners just danced around the fight crying and calling their names. I was dancing around fight trying to keep my dogs from getting in the line of fire from these two fighting. After it ended i went off because I was so mad they were to scared to break apart their dogs! If your scared of you dog then you need a little 10lb dog.
I'm glad your baby is ok! If people watched their dogs closely then do many fights could be prevented!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts

It sounds like you take Beau to the dog park just to spend time playing and fetching with him as Beau is more focused on fetch than playing with other dogs. Why don't you get a long line and take him to a big open park or piece of land to play with him? I'm sure he'd have more fun since there wouldn't be other dogs bothering your fetching game and the best advantage is there is no worry about attack.

I don't do dog parks with my intact male Doberman because he might as well have a big blinking sign above him that says "PLEASE CHALLENGE ME, I'M HERE AND INTACT!! :)" I don't know if your boy is neutered or not, but male dobes generally attract poorly behaved dogs at the park. Believe me, Prime is not deprived of socialization or fun at all, there are many ways to have fun with your dog without the risks of a dog park.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you take Beau to the dog park just to spend time playing and fetching with him as Beau is more focused on fetch than playing with other dogs. Why don't you get a long line and take him to a big open park or piece of land to play with him? I'm sure he'd have more fun since there wouldn't be other dogs bothering your fetching game and the best advantage is there is no worry about attack.

I don't do dog parks with my intact male Doberman because he might as well have a big blinking sign above him that says "PLEASE CHALLENGE ME, I'M HERE AND INTACT!! :)" I don't know if your boy is neutered or not, but male dobes generally attract poorly behaved dogs at the park. Believe me, Prime is not deprived of socialization or fun at all, there are many ways to have fun with your dog without the risks of a dog park.
We usually fetch for awhile with Beau at the dog park and then we put the ball away and he goes and plays with other dogs. He never picks up other dogs toys/balls so once his is put away its like there are no balls around and he plays more with the other pups. He is fixed and has never really had any big issues before (dogs typically get the picture that he's "busy" with the ball and move on haha).

As far as parks or land-we live in Seattle and it is illegal (150$ fine) to even take dogs into public parks or public land (even on leash!)...so we bought Beau a glow in the dark ball and a light for his collar...the problem is, this is not feasible during the day so when it is a gorgeous day out, we take him to the dog park.

Again, this is the first time he has had an issue with another dog actually trying to fight him (usually he gets mounted because he is just so darn handsome I guess :))

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pepper spray ! Check if its legal first to have on hand, but when the other owner has to clean their dog and they get sick/coughing from cleaning them up, they will keep a better eye on their dog and his attitudes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pepper spray ! Check if its legal first to have on hand, but when the other owner has to clean their dog and they get sick/coughing from cleaning them up, they will keep a better eye on their dog and his attitudes.
I do have pepper spray, never thought to check if it was legal to carry...haha oops!...maybe we should just skip the middle step and pepper spray the owner? hahah...

And as far as Seattle laws...they are pretty ridiculous...where I grew up we never had rules like this and every park was dog friendly...there was a mutual understanding of know your dog and keep them leashed if they misbehave...I guess maybe it had something to do with the fact that the majority of the dogs were trained as hunting dogs so they were very obedient

·
Registered
705 Posts
I still enjoy going to the dog park and its the only place that Beau can legally go swimming...Maybe we need to move cities so that Beau has more freedom...

Yeah, around here we dont have a whole lot of strict laws against taking your dog places. In public parks and things they have to be on leashes, but there are a lot of places you can go where you are far enough away from everyone where it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, around here we dont have a whole lot of strict laws against taking your dog places. In public parks and things they have to be on leashes, but there are a lot of places you can go where you are far enough away from everyone where it doesnt matter.
That's how it always was growing up in Alaska...now we are in Seattle and there is quite an adjustment

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Imagine the kind of damage that dog could have done, not only to Beau but to say a small dog, it beggars belief that its owner did nothing and scares the crud out of me for future visitors to the park.

Perhaps you could arm yourself with a video camera, then if anything ever happens again you have footage of the offender and its owner which you can hand in to the police. You can bet your last dollar if it had been your Beau doing the attacking you and yours would have had a visit by now from the boys in blue.

Yesterday Beau, tomorrow a Terrier or worse a child holding on to his/her new puppy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imagine the kind of damage that dog could have done, not only to Beau but to say a small dog, it beggars belief that its owner did nothing and scares the crud out of me for future visitors to the park.

Perhaps you could arm yourself with a video camera, then if anything ever happens again you have footage of the offender and its owner which you can hand in to the police. You can bet your last dollar if it had been your Beau doing the attacking you and yours would have had a visit by now from the boys in blue.

Yesterday Beau, tomorrow a Terrier or worse a child holding on to his/her new puppy.
That was the thing that scared me, after the incident the guy made his dog sit there for about 5 seconds and then continued on his way in the park (he didn't leave!)...

I think the issue was that he really seemed to not have any control over his dog, there was no level of obedience or anything...

We have been to this same park probably 30 times since last September and never had an issue so I don't know if we would ever catch anything on camera...we will try next time though for sure.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Too many irresponsible, clueless idiots at dog parks.

The only time my dogs ever go is at very, very "off" times (like once in a small snowstorm, hehe) when no one else is there, and then we arrange playdates at the park with dogs we know and owners we trust.

Glad Beau is okay.

Reactions: Adara and spocksdad

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm very glad Beau and you are ok. For this reason I, too, do not go to ball parks. It's not necessarily my dogs I don't trust, it's other dogs and their nonchalant owners.

I also believe a loose ball is dangerous around other dogs. I can remember going to obedience classes and at down times the instructor tossing a ball into the middle of about 8 dogs. I always thought that was just asking for trouble.

Instead of a dog park, is there a football field, ball field or track area at a public school or public park where you can take Beau? Before I moved to land, that's where I would take my dogs to let them run off leash.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our new dog park does not allow owners to bring any toys or treats into the park just for that reason. Also doesn't allow small children.Lots of people are very unhappy about this,but its for every ones safety . And all leashs must be off in the park & owners must have an eye on their dogs at all times. The rules are posted,but of cousre not everyone can read. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts