first response i get is, "oh u need to show those dogs whose boss,
my friend had a rottweiler and he had to punch it in the face to make
him understand. It's a troubled dog to be getting"
Needless to say this guy will not be staying for long as getting me
angry was an understatement!
And obviously he didnt want to be atall educated on it
As soon as i said anything it was oh sorry i forgot u know everything
about dogs ay.."

I dont even know what goes through these small minded people.
That poor rotti got punched in the face and what was his lesson learnt?
That the guy doing it wasn't a nice guy and most probably has fear or
aggression problems because of his actions!
Wow im ranting heaps, but what can you do!
If i new this guy with the dog he'd be reported straight off.

Sorry for the paragraph needed the rant!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Why do people think there is a need to hit dogs to make the dog
"know who's boss"!
I tell a new room mate about us waiting for our dobiepup and the
first response i get is, "oh u need to show those dogs whose boss,
my friend had a rottweiler and he had to punch it in the face to make
him understand. It's a troubled dog to be getting"
Needless to say this guy will not be staying for long as getting me
angry was an understatement!
And obviously he didnt want to be atall educated on it
As soon as i said anything it was oh sorry i forgot u know everything
about dogs ay.."

I dont even know what goes through these small minded people.
That poor rotti got punched in the face and what was his lesson learnt?
That the guy doing it wasn't a nice guy and most probably has fear or
aggression problems because of his actions!
Wow im ranting heaps, but what can you do!
If i new this guy with the dog he'd be reported straight off.

Sorry for the paragraph needed the rant!
No need to apologise. I feel the same way when I see the morons hereabouts hitting, kicking, whipping their dogs because they think it will make them more obedient. Some folk are so weak in the head I think if breathing were not an autonomic response they would up and suffocate because they sure as hell are stupid.
Get rid of the guy, because chances are he will take it upon himself to show your dog who is boss when you are not around and that is the last thing you need.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thats all old school and macho crap. Thank goodness it is on its way out as positive reinforcement keeps gaining ground. As with any change, it takes a long time for change. It is all hard fought!///// And I agree, get rid of the new roomate. He cant be trusted around ANY dog.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I agree, get a new roomate. Anyone who thinks you have to beat a dog to get it to listen wouldn't be allowed my dog ever.

If someone punched my dog in the face you can bet I'd be punching them in the face and see how they like it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ignorance runs rampant when it comes to dogs. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any legitimate purpose for literally punching a dog in the face. Be careful not to judge too quickly though because that may not be what actually happened, or it could be a figure of speech rather than a literal occurrence.

I understand that some people have dogs that require little to no physical correction. Someone who has have never owned or worked with a dog that required physical correction can’t comprehend what it takes to get through to some dogs.

Several years ago I had a need to give my German Shepherd Dog a scruff shaking. A neighbor just happened to drive by and see. Later he commented about how I was “really kicking that dog’s ass!” Umm…. NO!…. I wasn’t kicking the dog, and only an ignorant moron would interpret, even figuratively, a scruff shaking as an “ass kicking”. Yet that is exactly how he saw it. I can imagine that by the time gossip spread around there is some random dude out there telling a friend how you’ve got to train “Dem dar po-lice dawgs” by kicking them.

So the moral here is- although there are people who abuse animals, I don’t automatically assume it’s factual or literal when I hear about people “training” their dogs by beating them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would have punched him in the face and as soon as he looked shocked, shrugged and said "Well you're new here and I have to show you I'm the boss. So how much do you respect me now?"

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Get a new rooommate. If he were to stay, you'll not only have to witness how he treats his dog and argue over it but when you aren't home, you will always be wondering how he is treating your dog. But even more important than that, he brings a lot of very negative energy into the household and that is something you don't want for the dogs or yourself.
Unfortunately, people often do things the way they learned..whether it means being abusive to one's spouse, child, pet. Don't take it upon yourself to try to change him. You'll have your hands full just training your pup and it could really be undermined if you have a roommate like this guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts