Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best shampoo to use, my black dobermans hair seems to repel water when I bathe him and I have the shower head on a hose in the bathroom but still his coat seems to repel water and the shampoo doesn't seem to clean that that well. Any tips please?

·
Registered
131 Posts
i use the hartz flea and tick with oatmeal and the seargants skip-flea and tick with oatmeal. it lathers quite nice. trying putting the nozzle all the way against the skin. this lets the water go beneath the hair.

·
Premium Member
10,290 Posts
A good (as in correct) Doberman coat is actually quite harsh--the standard says it should be "hard"--this type of coat is pretty water repellant.

Because it repells water well it's actually pretty hard to wet down--try mixing up a batch of conditioner first and applying that--let it stand for five minutes or so and rinse it out then use the shampoo and bathe the dog. You can put the diluted conditioner in a spray bottle (I'd mix the conditioner about 20 parts water to 1 part of conditioner) and apply that way.

Any good mild shampoo will work--I prefer the horse shampoos to most dog shampoos (Eqyss is a good choice) but I know a professional handler who has used Pantene (people shampoo) for years and gets great results.

When rinsing rinse at least as long as it took to shampoo the dog and then once more for good measure. A final rinse with a dilute vinegar and water solution (1/2 cup of venegar to a gallon of very cool water) will remove any soap or detergent residue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will try the conditioner first,
I do already use the vinegar after. I am also going to try pantene or mane and tail the horse shampoo, he is getting both tomorrow, he needs a bath like every 3 weeks because he starts to have an odor

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I would not recommend Hartz or any flea shampoos, they are harsh and really dont help with fleas, are more prone to drying out the skin. Try any dog shampoo that says "soap free". I personally use Chlorhexadine Shampoos (can find at the vet or maybe pet store, not sure about petstore though) :)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I use baby shampoo and I wouldn't use anything else.......this is my personal experience with other shampoos they made my dog very ill. I spoke to the vet which told me that sometimes this does happen.I've used baby shampoo ever since for almost 4 years now. I know the bottle but I can't think of it's name white with tropical picture on it.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I use a basic blue grooming shampoo at work, it has some coconut oil that compliments that typical "dober smell" but actually cleans a dober well unlike fresh and clean imo, i have fresh and clean oatmeal/baking soda i use when mabel is extra dry in winter and a basic deodorizing shampoo (OUT!) at home that smells good and works well, cheap too!

As far as water not soaking in, it usally takes me 2-3 passes and working just the water into the coat to soak any dog because of the natural oils and denseness.

The biggest thing I do that makes a difference though isnt which shampoo but how I apply it, i use a curry comb or grooming mit, squirt some shampoo into the comb and it really works less shampoo around alot better than just fingers with even better lather, it really works it in well and cuts through the dirt and I find I see even more dirt washing away when I do it this way. :)

Plus it helps with hair to during shedding season! and they all seem to love the nice scratchy massage it gives them lol

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I use Earthbath shampoo's... I have the Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo right now.

Most shampoo's you should dilute 10 parts water to 1 part shampoo, depending on what brand.

Jonesy's coat is prety hard to wet, what I end up doing is filling the tub with water, let him lay in it... (Jones loves baths) and then I do the shampoo

I also agree don't use anything from Hartz... it kills pets
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This is an easy one.
Get a shampoo with Teatree oil in it. I use it for my Show horses. Its a natural pruduct that cleans well but doesn't strip away all the natural oils. If you look up "teatree oil" you can read about the benefits.
The shampoo will last a long time and it is great for dogs/horses who are dry, epescially after winter. I love it!!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
How often do you guys bath your dogs? Will it matter if he's still a puppy
I got a special puppy shampoo from the vet, just have to be careful around their ears and eyes.

If lexi gets muddy I will just water her down, if she starts to smell I will use the shampoo. other than that, I see no reason for a bath.

I heard you don't want to bathe too often as it removes the dogs natural oils.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
With good food Odin has nice silky soft fur, but now that he is rating purina pro plan his fur has gotten wirery and course. But I use earthbath, a really nice gentle shampoo. Environment friendly too, you can literally bath them in the lake if you want and it does no harm. When I was doing dog grooming we Used earth bath products and I always saw positive results.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
How often do you guys bath your dogs? Will it matter if he's still a puppy
Maybe 4-5 times a year. If I'm showing I bathe before shows, but other than that not that often. Or if a particular Doberman gets herself SKUNKED :(

Reactions: Wylde

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only bathe 4 -7 times a year, if that. In between times if shes a bit dirty, just a wet cloth and a good rub down. and to help with any odor, I have baby oil and give her a good rubbing. That also softens the coat a bit and puts one heck of a shine to the black coat :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts