Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new Doberman owners ( we always had Rottweilers) we would like advice on a few subjects.

We live in a rural setting, how do Doberman handle other animals, besides dogs? We have horses, barn cats and various other pests: raccoons,skunks etc..

Since we live in a rural settings, will non-socializing with other dogs be a problem in later years? Non-socializing meaning non-interaction with other dogs, constantly?

Are Dobies a breed that tend to be gun-shy? Occassionaly we have to do pest control, we're not hunters, nor sport shooters.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I personally would socialize my dog as much as possible to anything and everything. If you are going to want to be shooting around it I would start doing that now. I would have it around other dogs or yes IMO you could have issues down the road. Out of all the dogs I had in the past the two dobie's had the most issues with something they hadnt seen before. Lexi(rip) who I got at 15 weeks was not socialized and couldnt handle anything. She was very fear aggressive and I mean bearing teeth and all. Kyrah I got at 9 weeks and worked with her tons and she can still be very suspicious of new things but she can normally recover pretty quickly.

Here are a couple links you may find interesting.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/63290-how-late-socialize.html

Puppy Development

1 - 2 of 2 Posts