Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my first dobe last Saturday. She was born March 7th so she is just over 8 weeks old.

I want to start training her just with some basic commands such mainly sit and lay down. I have some questions with this.

When you do start basic training, how exactly do you train them. For example, I do go over commands in a closed empty room. So when I start with sit, do you say sit over and over until she does it then give her a treat or do you say sit and put their butt down then give the treat when first starting out?

Same question goes for lay down.

Also, I let her on the couch with me for a the first couple days, now she always wants up. Is it best to just say down and gently push her down. I want her to get used to her bed instead of thinking that the couch will be her go to spot.

She also constantly wants to chew on things, mainly corners of tables, her bed, fingers and toes. What would be your recommendation on the best way for her to understand that she cannot chew on certain things. Do you just constantly say NO over and over until she gets the point across over time?

Lastly, at what age on average should the puppy to know the basic commands? Thank you!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
For a young puppy (8 weeks) I would not be concerned with commands. At this time I would simply work on a building a relationship with the dog, and beginning with engagement. Meaning teaching the dog you are the best thing in to world to spend time with, play with, etc.

I would begin luring her with food into desired positions rather than teaching commands as well. Simply teach her to follow your hand and trust your hand to find 'yummy stuff'.

I would also spend time bringing out her natural drives. Prey drive, food drive, etc. Meaning actively play with her toys and tugs.

Last but not least, look for a trainer to take your dog to puppy socialization classes and puppy obedience.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Don't repeat what you want your pup to do... If your pup has no idea what behavior you want how is repeating the word going to work?
Repetition is just going to make them ignore you.

When teaching sit/down I don't tend to use force to do so I try to lure them to do it first.
I really (and I think a few others on here) like Kikopups methods... She is very informative and easy to follow

Sit/down
How to teach a beginning sit/down stay - YouTube

Also I'd give clicker training a look... If you don't have a clicker you can use a "cue" word I use "YES" if I don't have a clicker on me
How to start clicker training your dog- clicker dog training tricks - YouTube

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ Nmbr1Ballr - congrats on puppy !!
a) Basic commands come easier once the fun loving bond is established.
I do this by daily playing, sitting on the living room floor...first I want the pup to respond to my voice and keep eye focus on me.
I avoid treats for training, so I will gently guide a pup into a sit with my hand & use a hand signal for stay...tap the floor with my hand to get puppy down.
- with loads of love and praise
b) If you don't want pup up on the couch, shouldn't let it be there, in the first place / mine sure loves furniture, and is respectful of its own leather love seat.
- my pup earned privileges when its good / learn to listen to me, it can even go out the side door ahead of me & I feel they sense the cause & effect relationship
c) I use the word "ITCH" to discourage puppy destructive chewing...in a stern voice / love and praise immediately following compliance.
d) A few days to a few weeks, pup should know basic commands...other than a solid recall.
After I train inside the house, than I redo exercises outside where there are many more distractions and I can proof our lessons.

More reading.
See my puppy training post:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68153-feisty-bugger.html
A good training website:
www.leerberg.com

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
the best thing you can do for you and puppy is get into a good puppy class to give you some basics AND work on socialization.

I personally use clicker training and find it works very well.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
You might want to check out Kikopup's training videos on youtube. They are a great place to start: kikopup - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
this would be my first reply on the forum, I just got a 8 week old male puppy as well,
I saw couple videos on youtube to clicker train puppies, I saw ALOT of them, but I think this one is simple and all his videos are pretty interesting to watch and easy to follow...

For my puppy brought him home with me on the middle of his 7th week , gave him some time to get use to the place and the people (me) , and on the 8th week I started to clicker train, right now he is 8 weeks and 5days old and he can do sit, stand, laydown,and stay ,although not perfectly but when I have food in my hands he will listen ;)

but anyways try these you tube videos , they are fairly simple !
How To Teach Any Dog PERFECT Obedience! (Sit,Down,Stand) - YouTube
all his videos are interesting take a look :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks for this information and the link to that video. It has all been very helpful. So while I am spending time with the puppy and building a relationship, at what age would you begin commands?
Day2 I start very short duration & infrequent command work / 2 days or 2 weeks, the time line on command results is of little importance...and subjective.
But I engaged probably 4 hours of fun...every evening...in the first month or so:
- playing & bonding, to the love in my voice & touch
- playing & focusing, on me (eyes & ears)
- playing & learning, my expectations (understanding good from bad)
- playing & pup does not want to be anywhere else, in the world / happy & excited, by me
^^^^
Basic commands (without treats) came pretty seamless & quick, including fetching a frisbee (@ 9 weeks old)...the GAMES we played together, had a purpose & structure.
- while the puppy, was getting trained & learning, without even knowing it (plus the bond & desire, to please)...all created in much fun / that is the secret

1 - 10 of 10 Posts