Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOYTT Kennels in Dandridge, Tennessee. A year ago I contracted with Barrie Hoytt to buy a trained Doberman bitch from him that he would select from his litters and train up to a "PHD" level. It has been a disaster. He was paid in full, $16,500.00, in adevance with an approximate delivery time being the all of 2011.

We have a beautiful bitch named SAM who is the most non-attentive dog I've ever had. I've had 24 Dobermans over my lifetime getting my first in 1955.

I am disabled and no longer able to train for myself. There are extensive emails between me and Barrie which lay out the problems with our new girl.I took her to a dog trainer friend here in Tampa Bay who knew what I had paid for her expecting a "perfectly trained companion". She took SAM out of my car, walked her around my car on lead. Commanded her to heel, sit, stay. She put her back in the car and said, "take her back."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be posting the whole miserable story over time. If anyone has experience with Hoytt and how to get some satisfaction, please advise. I am seriously considering filing a theft/fraud complaint with the Sheriff there. They say they have had other complaints about him. He has more tax liens and Judgement liens filed against him than the tax assessor values his two real estate properties for.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
you'll find 'entertaining' reading if you type HOH or Hoytt into the search function here ;)

I hope you have good results in the end....that's a lot of money to fork out and not get what you were promised.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Yes, I've heard of some interesting experiences with HoH.... I'm sorry you are so incredibly disappointed and I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
sorry to hear this, but they are far from reputable. One of my current owners started with a girl from Hoyt, who had a terrible temperament. Glad that isn't the problem.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:wish: I wish people like that would be put out of business and thrown in jail, thats alot of money and doesn't sound like your FIRST in line, If thats not fraud and stealing, I don't know what is !!!!!!!! Wish u good luck and I'll send a prayer your way, sounds like your going to NEED all the help you can get with these people. Good Luck !!!

·
joie de vivre
11,253 Posts
I'm very sorry you're going through this. Hoytt is a horrible breeder in my opinion.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dobs4ever said:
Did you get the dog to assist with your disability - I only ask because I would think tha there are laws and/or agencies that would step up and help you in that case.
I was thinking just this too. Make sure if you have any and all documentation in writing or emails that you get them printed and keep them in a folder so that you have it all.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Sorry that you got burned but you should have done some research before forking over $16.5K for a dog.

There are plenty of stories out there about this con man.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I truly hope you have signed contracts detailing the type of training the dog was supposed to receive from Hoytt. If so you may have a very good case.

Hoytt are terrible breeders and con artists.. I'm sorry you're going through this, but forking over $16K without doing much research on a breeder is crazy. For $16K my dog better be making me lattes in the morning...

·
Registered
880 Posts
You could have had a fully trained police dog for less then $10k! That is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a trained pet, even if she was supposed to do some assistance duties. And especially if you handed this money over without much research upon which you would immediately discover the type of reputation this person has made for himself and his kennel.

I wish you all the luck in the world in pursuing this, I hope you at the very least get some of your money back.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Color me not the least bit surprised.

And there are still folks out there who still defend HoH and sing his praises.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts