Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for the past 3 days trinity has started barking in the very early morning hours. Usually at 3am and then again at 7am. Its driving me crazy. She has never done this before until now. I have tried a bark collar in the past for her barking in the backyard and ended up having to go with a muzzle because the bark collar lost its effect on her after about 4 days. I don't want to have to put a bark collar or muzzle on trinity all the time. Just to let everyone know she is doing this barking inside. How do i get her to stop?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also just to let everyone know when I go to bed she will walk around the house whining she does this for about an hour or so. When it first started i thought she needed to go out so i would let her out sometimes she uses the restroom and other times she doesn't. When i let her back in she still whines. I took her to the vet a couple of days ago around when it started and they said that there seems to be nothing wrong wit her.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Is there any change in living circumstances? New people in the house, new animals, etc. Has any other routines changed recently? When you go to bed, or get up etc. Is she still sleeping in the same place in the house, or has her "room" been moved anywhere?

Is there anything that seems to trigger it? Neighbors animals barking, loud cars etc...? Does Trinity sleep in a crate at night? Or in your room? Is she in heat, or could it be coming up? (-key question) Is there any change in her eliminations?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Is there any change in living circumstances? New people in the house, new animals, etc.

No there is nothing new

2. Has any other routines changed recently?

Once agian no

3. When you go to bed, or get up etc. Is she still sleeping in the same place in the house, or has her "room" been moved anywhere?

Nope her bed is still in the same place

4. Is there anything that seems to trigger it?

Not that i can see its random

5. Neighbors animals barking, loud cars etc...?

sometimes to neighbors dog but most of the time its quiet

6. Does Trinity sleep in a crate at night? Or in your room?

She sleeps in my bedroom

7. Is she in heat, or could it be coming up? (-key question)

Actually yes around december 21st is when her next heat is suppose to start. But thats about a month in a half away. Give or take a few days.

8. Is there any change in her eliminations?

About 2 weeks ago when we leave to go somewhere trinity is confined to the living room because she started to get into the trash again. But she didn't start barking like this till about 3 or 4 days ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe a neighbors cat is roaming your yard to use as the bathroom. Mine go absolutely nuts during a certain hour in the evening and my hubby found out its the cat from next door is using our yard as the litterbox - its the exact same time every night. Just a thought...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Is she usually pretty precise in starting her heats? Lexus gets very anxious when she is close to her heat. She barks more as well as whining. So possibly may be a factor? If it is coming up a little closer than anticipated.

Option - If she barks regularally, (I don't mean all the time, just barks periodically) through the day, try when she barks AT something giving her the command BARK. Then after a few barks, tell her QUIET at the same time bring out a tasty morsel to get her attention, keep her attention for a minute while telling her quiet, then reward and praise her. Try doing this everytime she barks throughout the day or evening.

By doing this you are teaching her bark on command, and more importantly to BE QUIET on command. All with positive reinforcement. This will come into play when she starts barking in the middle of the night in getting her to shush right away.

There is the option of shaking a can of coins to get her to be quiet (gets her attention away from the stimuli that is making her bark), but that isn't really a good choice of a noise maker in the middle of the night. I doubt your mother would appreciate that!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol yea a can full of coins wouldn't be good. She is usually tired or playful during her heat but never like this. The backyard is her play and potty area so she doesn't really listen that well when she is in the backyard. I do that a few of the times she is literally barking at nothing because she will be laying down by the back door in the back yard just barking at nothing. I took her for a ride to blockbuster because i had to return a movie and while i was driving she stuck her head out the window and just started barking. She has never done this. It shocked me when she did it. When i first started my training with her when she was a pup i always trained her not to bark when in the house or car. To me it also looks like she is having trouble settling down. She will walk around for about an hour before she actually sits or lays down. I am sort of thinking that it might have something to do with this being her first heat while being the only dog in the house. Shes gotten use to loki being gone but i think because she is now getting ready to go through her heat by herself that she might be feeling odd about being the only dog here.

I can tell she is getting ready to go into heat because she wants to play more and she is also not listening to me that well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
****Update****
Last night went really well trinity didn't bark or whine. WHen i went to bed she layed her head on my head and just looked at me. I reached over and petted her and then she went to her bed and went to sleep. She hasn't barked most of the day. Most of today i have been going through her training just to refreash her. All and all she is doing alot better today. The differece of the other days and last night is that last night my mother actually came out of her room and snuggled with trinity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts