Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Dolce has been starting to be a little more vocal the last 3 weeks. Started during the late nights when I'd take her out to pee sometimes, and she would hear a faint sound around the area and would woof quietly. Now she barks every time someone would walk past our drive way. I don't mind it that much, but lately she's been barking literally everytime and it's getting annoying. Is there any way to sort of curb this behaviour? Is she getting territorial?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We've taught Tia 'shush'. We did this by holding a treat under her nose while she was barking and then when she stopped barking to investigate the treat gave her the treat and told her how good she was. We didn't want to stop her barking completely but wanted her to know when she should stop.

I hope this helps and I'm sure other people here will have other ideas for you.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have taught/am teaching Chi to defer to me - She's allowed one woof and then I get her attention on me. Since Dolce is so young, I'd start by using a treat to get her attention but then keep her attention on you (maybe carry a rope toy in your pocket to entice her with a game of tug) until the person passes. Make sure you praise her like crazy when her attention is on you. Eventually she'll learn to look to you for direction in scary or uncertain situations.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the helpful tips guys! I will definately be trying this out. And Tracy, that's a great thing you're teaching your dobe, hopefully I will be able to instill that to mine later on. I just hope I can get her attention with the treats and all, since she seems to always be SOOO fixated on people/dogs passing by.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey went through that stage, anything that moved in the yard would make him bark and now has gotten much better. If he barks now we thank him and then say thats enough. Now if only he would stop barking when he plays with other dogs!

Carol

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
When Titus realized that he had a bark he would bark at everything. You should have seen the first time his saw his reflection in the fireplace doors. The reflection in the glass set him off. We now have Jada who will let him know when he gets a little out of hand. If he barks too much she will go up to him and bark at him as if to say "ok already that is enough"

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I taught my dogs enough. I want my dogs to bark. I want them to let me know there is something out there. That is why I have the type of dogs I have. It is in their nature to guard. I don't want them to get carried away. That is a different story.

When they bark, I look to see what they are barking at. I tell them good and praise them for letting me know something was out there. Then tell them enough. When they keep barking at normal activity, I make them sit and focus on me. When they are quiet, they get lots of praise. They got to the point that when I looked, they sit and look at me and are quiet afterwards. If they continue, I just say that is enough.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats exactly how i want my dobe to be. I understand that it is in their nature to be alert, i just dont want her to excessively keep barking all the time.. y'know? :)

very helpful advice though, i hope i can apply this properly :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Gypsy is our barker.. She is the hardest to train to stop and after 5 years it is getting better.. the other dogs.. I look to see what is wrong and then tell the enough and I am ok . then they stop and get a treat for being alert to danger and then for being quiet..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts