Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this would go here. If not sorry ;)

Just wondering what everyone doese when their little guys bark at everyone walking pass your house?? LOL We live in an apartment (or rather a duplex, Top/bottom, we're on top) and the window is up nice and high and no matter who is walking by our place. Bruno will just go crazy barking!!! Drives me insane. I mean, I wanna know if someone is coming up the driveway. Not if the lady down the street is taking a morning/evening stroll, or the man down the road is taking his pooch for a walk LOL.

So what is it (if anything) that you do to teach your Doggie not to bark out the window?

He doesn't do it ALL the time. But enough to drive me batty. lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I always thought Petri was a yappy little fool until I babysat a min pin named Snickers. Petri would bark if someone came to our door or walked through our front yard; Snickers would bark if the guy down the road thought about walking down the street! Thankfully, I don't have that problem with Chihiro unless I have the front door open with only the screen door shut.
Currently that is the case and the kids are in the front yard playing. Of course, she wants to be right at that door barking at every move. She's not too thrilled that she has her leash on and is being forced to stay at my side :)
I think you have several options to deal with this. 1. restrict his access to the window. 2. teach him to bark on command - ironic, I know - you gain control of barking when you teach them to "speak", what you can teach to turn on, you can teach to turn off. 3. Try spending a few days with him on the leash and by your side - a pain in the butt, trust me I know - but you have him right there with you and can quickly correct his inappropriate barking. Warning for this method: Don't sit in a swivel computer chair that has wheels, chances are, he'll hear or see something the first second you let your guard down and you'll end up flying down the hallway, spinning out of control behind him (just about happened here are few minutes ago:) Age and maturity might help too.
If you've done any clicker training or are interested in clicker training, this can be easily modified with great timing and a little patience. You can teach him the one bark rule. He barks once or not at all, he gets a reward, he barks more than once, no reward. You would have set up the situation, or be prepared when it occurs spontaneously. Have a clicker and treats ready and him familiar with the clicker and what it means (can explain how to do that if you aren't familiar with it). As soon as he alerts to someone/thing outside the window, but before he barks, click and treat - that should put his attention on you. If he barks, no treat. It will take several sessions but eventually he'll focus on you when someone walks down the road. This way he's still alerting you that someone is approaching but isn't barking his fool head off :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That clicker idea sounds good. How do I do that?

There is no way to restrict the window from him. Since we have a couch infront (and the couch he normall sleeps on lol). It's a HUGE bay window. Since we're up on the second floor he can see everything lol. He won't bark if somoene is way down the street. But the minute they get close to walking in front of our place. He will bark. Sometimes just a growl will come out, because he KNOWS he shouldn't be barking. But someone he'll let all go loose and just bark his head off lol.

LMAO @ The swivel chair. I'm really laughing with you, I promise hehe :) That's too funny. And I do have a chair with wheels that swivels. So that's prolly not a good idea for me LOL.

Thanks for the help ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Princi also does this but what I have done is this:

She only barks if she sees somone walking close to the house or if she hears an unfamiliar "noise" around the house. Everytime she does this I go up to the door or where ever the noise is coming from and let her investigate. After that I tell her "thank you princi" and divert her attention towards something else and she will stop barking, at that time I also praise her for listening. It has now come to the point that she will bark once or twice and look at me and all I say is "thank you princi" and she comes to me and stops barking.

Bruno is doing his "job", you can teach him to just warn you and not get too hyper.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have a three bark rule for people walking by or a low growl is preferred! I used bitter apple right in the mouth, with a "quiet please" then a treat when they are quiet for a few moments, working them up to longer times. I have MinPins and yes they are horrid barkers and this was the ticket, I only really needed to shoot them with it a few times (right in the mouth), then just left the bottle as a reminder and now I just ask them to quiet and they do!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Oh and TracyJo.....My neighbors also have a min pin who's name is Snickers!!! And he does bark bark bark bark bark bark a lot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts