Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I asked a similar question a while back but we're not making an progress - I hoped someone someone here can suggest something :)

Bruno was 14 weeks old last Saturday and his training is coming along quite well except that he will constantly bark at me during training because I have treats in my hand!! It doesn't matter if it's just kibble or chicken - he'll keep barking on and on!

Now, he's doing what I ask of him super quickly, so I'm giving him the treat, but is this reinforcing the barking behaviour?

And is there any way I can work on stopping the barking without losing concentration on general obedience?

Btw...he will train to toys, but he's very food driven so I'm guessing that's best to use for training :)

Please help, and thanks!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
When he barks, I would turn my back to him or tether him to something and leave the room. I'd come back and try again. I was NOT consistent with this 8.5 years ago and now my training sessions often sound like this! You do NOT WANT THIS :)

This is the worst she can be. She does this when we do shaping lessons.

gabby bow.AVI - YouTube

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Bruno was 14 weeks old last Saturday and his training is coming along quite well except that he will constantly bark at me during training because I have treats in my hand!! It doesn't matter if it's just kibble or chicken - he'll keep barking on and on!
Plan A: get the food out of your hand?

Plan B: have lots of extra good food in both hands, and just stand there doing nothing. Let him bark and bark for however long. The instant there is a microsecond of quiet, drop a bit of food. Lather, rinse, repeat and gradually extend the length of time he must be quiet to be rewarded.

Personally, I like Plan A best.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
What they said, but you can also "put a word' on the barking so you can ask him to bark when you want. I did this with a barker and it worked....used really good food and said "speak" when she barked for it initially. Then only rewarded when I said speak before the bark occurred. Then worked on "quiet" for her to turn off the bark. It worked!

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant

Thanks very much for the replies.

When training in house now, I have all the treats on the kitchen top and when he does whatever it is right, he gets a "good boy" then a treat! Superb!

Plus the barking is slowly getting better by turning my back on him whenever he barks!

Absolutely fantastic suggestions so thanks again!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Our trainer at the K9 Academy we go to uses a horse training powerful squirting water bottle. When the dogs bark and be disruptive in class, they get sprayed and 99.9% of the time stop noise or behavior they are making and it obviously does nothing but get them wet. I understand you are doing this yourself in your home, so other dogs and attention are not the issue, but do know it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts