Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old Male Armani is friendly with everyone he meets. He has reacted a little defensively to people that I was skeeved out by. For instance a real legit crazy cat lady that lives across the street from me. She will come out side and stare at Armani who is peeking out our picture window.

She usually avoids me, but I happend to be stopped by someone she(crazy cat lady or ccl) knew, and decided to approach us. I told her to let Armani sniff her, she did and she started to pet him. Well, he suddenly jumps back and starts barking at her. CCL was making me uncomfortable, and I understand dog's can be good judges of character. So, I summed it up to my uncomfort and her staring at him through the picture window.

The above is the exception to my dog's friendliness with people. He is used to being around people, he infact visited my wife's 1st grade class while she read a book about dogs and he was AMAZING! Everybody loved him!

What is wierd however is occasionaly while we walk, people want to stop meet Armani and talk with us. This is fine, and I want good interaction for Armani, but a recent trend has been meeting someone, he smells them, they start petting him, when they walk away or stop. He jumps back and starts barking. Not a super mean bark, but a bark that may shake someone up if they do no know him. Two of the people he has done this to have animals in their house, one does not.

Sorry for being long winded, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
If you know he is going to do this then stop it immediately by asking him to sit and focus on you before he starts the unwanted behavior. Follow through until he sits and calms down. If you have not taken formal obedience classes it would be a good time to start!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, we have completed just a first level formal obedience class. Further training is something I have been considering.

Are you recomending that I let him greet the person, then, tell him to sit?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I second OB classes. They are fun, great way to socialize, and you learn so much.

Have you thought of clicker training? Chase has some stranger danger, due to his past being not so great. He has never growled or snapped at anyone, he just ducks his head and backs away.

I started by rewarding him for being calm around people, then I marked him for being curious and sniffing people. Eventually I marked him for being comfortable with people petting him. Now he thinks it's a game and will happily accept pets, because he knows that is what I want, and a treat is to follow.

He is still not 100% with men, and I can understand that. His previous owner actually admitted to me for beating Chase while giving him a bath, because Chase wouldn't stand still. So, I always gauge his comfort level while greeting men. If he has that 'look' in his eye, I tell the men he is shy and to just talk to me and leave him alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response. I can do a second round of OB class, the first one was fun. I am looking at a few private trainers as well.

He is not vicious towards people. Infact he lets them pet him, and once they stop or leave he barks!? Armani has no reason to fear people, never has he been hit and he has been well socialized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts