Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been having some major issues with aggression / fear with Zeus and in need of a trainer in the Toronto, Canada area. I found Bark Busters in my area and I'm reading reviews online and some are great, and some are not so great.

They just seem to fake and it just sounds too good to be true. Below is a part of their "promise" in their initial email.

Your investment of $595 (+HST) for our service if you have only one dog, includes as many visits as are required to get the problems solved. As mentioned earlier, the first visit is normally three hours. The duration of subsequent visits depends on the issues. Each additional dog in your household is $250 (+HST). Essentially you now have a “TRAINER FOR LIFE”.

Has anyone had any experience with them, especially with an aggressive / fearful dobe?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Bark Busters ran the puppy school at the vet clinic near my parent's house that I took Lottie to. I really didn't like it, the trainer had a choke chain on a 3 month old puppy and was using throw chains to get distracted 2 month old puppies to return to their owners. I thought it was very inappropriate and outdated.

Reactions: bubsy

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
never heard of them. Looks like the lifetime guarantee is extra...

No Limitations: The Bark Busters guarantee simply states that if the client carries out the pet training instructions provided at the training lesson, the Bark Busters therapist will work with the client for either one year, or the life of the dog (depending on the service obtained) at no additional charge. Most clients prefer the lifetime guarantee because they receive peace of mind for very little additional cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brother has used them with his Black Lab. He felt the initial training went well for some of the behavior issues his dog had. He payed the full price with the gurantee. He felt that after the initial sessions, they were slow to respond to the requested sessions under the gurantee, as the training wasn't working. He finally gave up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My brother has used them with his Black Lab. He felt the initial training went well for some of the behavior issues his dog had. He payed the full price with the gurantee. He felt that after the initial sessions, they were slow to respond to the requested sessions under the gurantee, as the training wasn't working. He finally gave up
I part of my job is to sell and I can tell when people are pushing crap. This is what they seem like exactly as you're describing by their sales pitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I part of my job is to sell and I can tell when people are pushing crap. This is what they seem like exactly as you're describing by their sales pitch.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
Would you be willing to travel to Brampton?

Olympus K9 Services International - Call 1-866-242-7220 x.4101 | Home

I wouldn't touch BarkBusters. I worked professionally with one for a short period of time through my then-job. This particular franchise owner had NO clue about dogs, had bought a franchise and attended the mandatory training, but really didn't have a clue. Boy, was I happy when that contract ran out!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never dealt with anyone who has used them, however, I know several other trainers in my area who have and ALL the feedback is negative. Not just snarky trainer comments either--they had valid concerns.

One trainer friend of mine said she had a client who's dog was ruined near to the point of euthanizing him. The Bark Busters trainer took this very fearful dog, who did mild growling at strangers and was using a pinch collar, buckets of water and actually was yelling/growling back at the dog. I would never recommend them to any client that I couldn't take on myself.

Reactions: bubsy

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Run away, very fast! Particularly with aggression and fear issues, Bark Busters will worsen what's going on. I am not anti throw chains... if you want to begin at the beginning with The Koehler Method of Dog Training, you will learn how and when to use them constructively, appropriately and beneficially. Otherwise, leave 'em alone!

Anybody who has the scratch can buy a Bark Busters franchise. If a good trainer bought one, it would be a good franchise. A good trainer is unlikely to do this.

I have a friend who trains in Bolton Dogs BeHaven Training Solutions . I think that's maybe forty-five minutes from you. If that's too far or she cannot help with your situation, I am sure that she can make a recommendation for someone good. Tell her Martha sent you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If u r in Toronto I recommend u look into Gemini K9 at Brimley and Shepard. Chris is one of the most professional and talented trainers I have seen and worked with. This is where I train and he is very Doberman familiar as he has 2 himself.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,833 Posts
With fear/aggression issues, I'd recommend finding a trainer who uses the principles in the book "Control Unleashed" (by Leslie McDevitt). We've had great success with our fearful girl using it.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
When they were new and I worked for a vet, we got free sessions to promote the training in our clinic. After going through, I was unimpressed and we never did end up recommending them to anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info guys, I really appreciated. I will get in touch with Chris as he has been reco'd by more than one person.

I don't understand trainers who abuse, throw or treat dogs like sh*t. I don't care how big or small the dog is, this will not help. Plus, Zeus is way too smart for dump tricks or sounds, he needs someone who knows their stuff.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
What?! So a throw chain is something that you literally throw at the dog? lol? It looks heavy. I would think people would often miss too.
They way I heard it explained is that you call dog, dog doesn't come, so you throw the chain at them to make them think you can touch them from anywhere. It was being used on 2 nine week old Fox Terriers when I went :(

Reactions: dobriety

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I have enough trouble throwing treats accurately between dogs front legs for 2 on 2 off contacts (agility) from 2 steps away, never mind throwing a chain at a moving dog! That's something you would need to spend time practicing at home lol, mean and inefficient.

·
Registered
975 Posts
thanks for the info guys, I really appreciated. I will get in touch with Chris as he has been reco'd by more than one person.

I don't understand trainers who abuse, throw or treat dogs like sh*t. I don't care how big or small the dog is, this will not help. Plus, Zeus is way too smart for dump tricks or sounds, he needs someone who knows their stuff.
I think you will be happy with his work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts