Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just found out that more than likely the mother of my future puppy isn't pregnant. They are doing an x-ray tomorrow to verify. She was inseminated by surgical implant and apparently it didn't take. Anyways, Becky won't be having another litter for a while so she referred me to a lady that has puppies in Gulfport,MS. I called Barbara and she informed me that she isn't a breeder per say but needed a new show Doberman. Her last litter was born in 2003. She does all of the necessary health checks and so on. She said she would email me copies of everything tomorrow. Her puppies are 6 days old and had their tails docked today. She said she didn't have a price yet because the puppies aren't old enough to grade for show quality versus a companion dog. She told me both parents are AKC champions and she would include the pedigrees with the health tests tomorrow. She told me tonight that her pups are of the kryptonite bloodline. Does this mean anything to anyone? Has anyone ever heard of Barbara O'Connor? She has an Irish accent. Thanks for any info you have.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
Kafka, The call name of the sire I assume she is referring to, dropped of DCM so anything tightly line bred on him I would personally avoid. In a lot of the pedigrees you can trace the cardio up the male line to Kafka and beyond.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sad

I was also expecting a pup from that liter. I have an email from December quoting the the dam, Kelli, was definitely pregnant. And now she is not. Very disappointed as I've been waiting 5 months to get a doberman. I've done countless research and found Becky and now I'm very disheartened.

Please let me know if anyone has info about Barbara O'Conner.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Yes Kafka is Brunswigs Cryptonite.
You can almost forget getting away from him, Rhady's Sail the Seven Seas, or Cambria's Cactus Cash in North America if you want a well bred dog here.
It's like hunting for unicorns. (I know... I've tried -my boy has Eddie sprinkled around 3xs)

There are nice dogs without those 3 in there but they're dead & stored. E.g. Hilco's Texas Blazing Star (i would LOVE a dog out of him)
Seems long lived collected dogs haven't become trendy enough yet for breeders to start dusting off the stored.

That said I don't think Kafka et al are necessarily death sentences as there've been some very long lived dogs by them. E.g. Horizon's No Mo Foolin (14!!!)
Just my impression.

However i would be looking carefully around the dogs nearby -what the longevity is around them.

Personally -while I'm very much a fan of that general type I don't agree with those who STILL TO THIS DAY continue the bottleneck on those dogs- right up to the source.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I was also expecting a pup from that liter. I have an email from December quoting the the dam, Kelli, was definitely pregnant. And now she is not. Very disappointed as I've been waiting 5 months to get a doberman. I've done countless research and found Becky and now I'm very disheartened.

Just as an FYI - she may have resorbed the litter. Not sure if the did an ultrasound or not. But if they did, that often happens.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get down on Becky. She is an amazing person and she is as upset about it as we are. Her personal breeding program produces the majority of the guide dogs for her not for profit Gallant Hearts Guide Dog school. My wife and I have decided to make a donation to her school even though the puppy didn't work out. She has been nothing but helpful since we decided to get a Doberman about a year ago.

As far as the litter in Gulfport, I sent a certified check to Barbara today for a deposit. Everything has checked out for her but the dogs are going fast. I think there is only one male left and she believes it is of show quality. She is a very sweet lady and all of the health testing is there. Let me know if you have any other questions. Where are you from?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not downing her. I love her. And I was just SO excited to get one of her pups. But I'm growing impatient. I also talked to Barbara. I'm set on a black male, but she may only have a female. Which I won't turn away if it is available. I'm in the New Orleans area. How about yourself??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure she received a deposit on the black male today. Are you looking for a dog to show or what? I'm in the Laurel, MS area. My wife is from New Orleans. We will actually be down there on the 21st of next month for Choctaw Mardi Gras parade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just spoke with her and she only has a red female. Definitely not my first choice. And no. I have zero interest in showing. Mostly looking for a companion. And have fun for mardi gras, I plan on escaping the city this year for that!

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I just spoke with her and she only has a red female. Definitely not my first choice. And no. I have zero interest in showing. Mostly looking for a companion. And have fun for mardi gras, I plan on escaping the city this year for that!
I love my red girl - they are so beautiful in a different way, more sultry to my mind :). This is my 2nd red girl and I like red because they don't heat up as fast in the sun and I like summer outdoors.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd go with health and temperament before color and sex. Unless you have a male, then I'd go female. Just food for thought

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts

5 months is nothing I waited 3 years for Z. She's so worth the wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
She told me that she didn't know if the red female is of show quality and to check back in 6 weeks...I have no interest in showing. I actually got another referral from Becky. I spoke with her and I REALLY REALLY like her and what she has to say. Hopefully everything goes well and her pups are due at the end of this month! Of course health and temperament are my main concerns. Plus I would rather wait for a male. I have a female dog already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts