Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister mentioned to me that her male Dobe who is I think 3yrs old. Has some bald patches and hair isn't growing there.

Anyone know what it might be? Or any idea what causes that? I haven't seen him, so I don't know exactly what it looks like. But I do remember reading some where (may have been on here) about bald patches. Just can't remember for the life of me what it said about it lol.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Where exactly are the bald spots. Are they entirely devoid of hair or is the hair sparse in those spots. And what color is the dog.

There is a long list of things that can cause balding--CDA in fawns and blues and (occasionally) in reds. Thyroid deficiency. Mites. Friction (as in wear and tear--rubbing--elbows and hocks for instance). Those are just a few possiblities.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's a black and rust. I can't remember where she said they were (duh, might have been important LOL).

I can find out tho.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Toro had something like that. Have the vet check for Demodex Mites. I believe that's what my vet called them. They are usually harmless to dogs but under certain stresses they can cause the hair loss you describe. Toro's bald spots went away after a while.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It might be.. not a hot spot but something to do with being bored.. Kohl had it.. Where they lick and lick the spot till it is raw

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oreokitty said:
It might be.. not a hot spot but something to do with being bored.. Kohl had it.. Where they lick and lick the spot till it is raw
My Jack Russell did this for awhile... My family was away alot during the day plus us kids got really busy with school, and then I went away for university... so she was stressed that I was away (She was my dog), plus lack of attention due to the busynessof school... But once we realized what was happening we realized we needed to set 2 times a day where she could be walked diligently and given some quality one on one time. This really helped her get back to normal. And the weekends I came home I spent a lot of time with her... After a few weeks her raw spots were gone.

Best of luck finding the cause of this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts