Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Buddy's baldness is getting worse when I take him back to the vet again I want to ask them to do the right thyroid test they do on bald Doberman s.
Last year they did a test ? but I have wondered if it was the right test is there more than one ?
Buddy s baldness is going down both back legs on his chest one toe all have bleeding spots.This year it seems to be going to the other side too if not scratching he is licking. All the vet wants to do is give him allergy testing since I have limited funds I would rather pay for a thyroid test last year I think it was only done in house at the vets it was not sent off. Is that even possible ? Thanks you for your answers and any more ideas on what to do with a itchy Doby. The pictures do not show all the baldness he is now 10 X worse. The hole in the head is just like the one he got last year he just came in the house one night with a hole in his skin red tissue showing ? Seems strange he has another this summer also nothing new in the yard. ??? Patches Mom

Attachments

·
Banned
494 Posts
The first question that comes to my mind is what kind of food do you feed him. Don't know if that's a valid question, but I have a minpin that I rescued who had a horrible skin condition. Since I've owned her there have been no flare-ups and I can't help but think it's because of the quality of food.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You want a full panel thyroid test that has to be sent out. The vet cant do this test in house. I cant see the pics very well as on phone, but the way the spot on his head popped up sounds and kinda looks like a hot spot. He really needs medicated baths to sooth his skin. I use diluted Selsun Blue left on for at least 7 minutes followed with a final acv/water rinse, 1 c acv to 1 gal water, left on to drip dry or blow dry to leave on skin. Try giving baths twice a week to sooth his skin and the rinse makes his skin inhospitable to bacteria, fungi, and yeast. I wouldnt use an oatmeal shampoo in case he is allergic to oatmeal. Do you have him on a grainfree diet? I think I suggested this before, but not sure. Did you do any of it? Can you afford the can of sardines a day. They saved Parker from this fate last year. If thats a hot spot, 1/2 acv 1/2 water mix sprayed on it will cure it, but that will probably burn him. Have you tried benadryl for him? I am so sorry he is having so much trouble with his skin.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sigh, just reread your post and if Buddy has a bunch of raw places and sores you will have to spot test him with the final acv/water to see if that strength stings. It is a pretty weak solution. Also did you try wiping him off when he comes inside the house from outside to remove any pollen he might have picked up. Use unscented baby wipes or a damp washcloth. You have to really stay on top of him as a lackluster regimen wont help him. Its work! Not saying your not trying, just wanted to emphasize how thorough you must be. Be sure to do the thyroid test! Have you asked his breeder if he has seen this in any other of his dogs? Maybe he knows something that could help.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Poor Buddy and poor you for trying to figure this out.

My sisters` flat coat (he was on kibble) had skin issues every summer. He was put on prednisone and that did help. However she did not like having to do that every year. So she ended up home cooking his meals. He has had no issues in the summer for at least 2 years now. (and she does not have to use the prednisone )

I really believe there are additives in kibble that our dogs can not handle.

Tamora (foliculitis) had issues when she was very young (on kibble). I ended up feeding her raw and sometimes home cooked meals. I have not had any skin issues for years now with her since making the switch..

My agility instructor imported a BC from Scotland--puppies poop was always --lets say not formed. Fed her raw and that fixed it with one feeding.

She found chicken for .99lb

If you watch your sales you can get really good deals on meat. (than stock up)

I still like that Novasan Soap for flare ups. If I were closer I would give you a sample.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Poor Buddy.

not sure what to make of all this.

a complete thyroid panel would be worthwhile to see if you can rule out a low thyroid as the cause OR maybe find out that a low thyroid has been the issue all along.

have you had any recent blood panels done? Just to see if everything is 'normal'.

a diet change may be in order too.

Hugz to you and your furkids!

ps, I love the Whole Dog Journals...............maybe do some googling and see what information you can find on skin issues.............here is one page.............http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_5/features/Dog-Skin-Inflammation_5628-1.html

I love using herbs for help when ever I can.........read up on using calendula tea topically and possibly echinacea or astragalus orally for boosting the immune system.

Also........research MSM, it is a natural sulphur and can do wonders to help with skin issues. Internally and topically.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was feeding Buddy Canidae then they had the recall so went to Earthborn suppose to be grain free the fish one I had fed it last winter no problems ? Buddy had a skin scrape done , a in house thyroid test, all last summer towards the end of summer. Buddy is on Senteil heart worm medication also giving Comfortis for fleas.About every 7 months I spray the Vet kim stuff in the house and use DE around the outside of the house and down all sides of the fence. I'm sure my neighbors do not do much for fleas in their yards I have not seen any fleas or flea dirt on my dogs nor does Patches the Dachshund does not have any skin problems she is a long hair. I do not think the spot on Buddy's head is a hot spot does not look like a hot spot. looks like he ran into something what I have no ideas he is a typical male Doberman klutz.Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Buddy looks much like Jasmine does. Based on the pictures in both threads I would say he has allergies. I had Jasmine on a low dose of prednisone all winter and that did help. However who wants their dog on that all the time!

If I were to come to a conclusion he has either scratched his head with his back paw or rubbed it on something till it opened up.

I would take him to the vet, they will probably put him on antibiotics and prednisone. You can try a limited ingredients food like Natural Balance feed him a protein source that he has never had. You will need to have him on it for a minimum of 60 days if not longer. Other than that you might see if the vet is willing to do some type of payment plan so you can do allergy testing.

If it clears up in the winter and you still had him on the same food I would probably say it's more environmental allergies. Also keep in mind that skin scrapings don't always test positive for mange. Many vets will just go ahead and treat, that might be an option if it's at all suspected. Of course I am not a vet and these are just all the things that I went through with Jasmine. Good luck and keep us posted as to what the vet says.

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would talk with the breeder and see what the history is on skin problems. Since she works for your vet, maybe she can try something else that works on the skin. The injury will heal. Neosporum is what we use when they bump into bushes and the like...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts