Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My sister recommended the same thing. She said just to shoot a few drops down Molly's throat before bed.

Right now we are trying to keep everything the same (tho she is done with the anti-histamines for her skin). I just get worried if we try too many things at once we won't know what works and what doesn't.

She got evaluated by the behaviourist last night and we should be getting a report and recommendations in a few days - I really liked the woman. I can't wait to see what she recommends. she said to keep going with the crating.

cc

·
Registered
7 Posts
I need some advice from you all about Molly. as you know, we adopted Molly over 4th of July weekend. She is a big sweet goofball with lots of puppy energy and just a happy, happy dobergirl. She is very smart, and doing well with her basic training. She gets along well with Apollo our older rescue, and they love to play together.

When Molly was surrendered, her owners said they didn't have enough time for her. She also has a deformed ear, which was explained as a problem during birth. when we took her to the vet right after we got her, Scott checked her out and told us that her ear was the result of significant blunt force trauma (like a wrestler's cauliflower ear) and that her skull had also been fractured at some point. Despite this, she is not hand shy or shows any behaviors of being abused. - when she is awake.

the problem we have is when she is sleeping, she has pretty regular nightmares - snarling, teeth bared, body jerking, the whole bit. Molly sleeps either in our bed or with my 15 year old daughter. But in the past couple of months, while sleeping soundly, she will suddenly, without provocation, spring up growling and teeth bared and lunge usually at Pollo or at one of us. Most times if we just yell at her she snaps out it, but on occasion she will attack Pollo and we have to separate them. once we separate them, she is back to her happy little self, she doesn't go after anyone else. the behavior stops, and she just looks kind of perplexed.

Tho Pollo is the one she usually goes after, she has put her teeth on each of us, tho no blood has been drawn, till last night. Saturday night it happened again and she want after Pollo, hard. I got in between them first and Jason tackled Molly and they rolled off the bed. she immediately stopped when he grabbed her and snapped out of it. She got my hand pretty good, broke a couple of bones in my hand/finger.

About 6 weeks ago, she was diagnosed as hypothyroid and put on meds for that. she also had skin problems got a shot of depo medrol and was put on ceflex as well as some anti histamines. after she put her teeth on my youngest in the same kind of sleep situation(I am not saying bite, because if Molly really meant to hurt my daughter she could have but didn't) we took Molly back to the vet and backed her down on her thyroid meds.

does any one have any suggestions other than keeping them separated at night? we are wondering if it is a combination of her past life haunting her in her sleep, and Molly really bonding with us and trying to be protective. As far as we know it has not happened during the day, Jason works at home about half the time and we have never seen signs of fighting when we come home. I would love to know if anyone else has dealt with them kind if thing, because it is something that happens while she is asleep, I am really at a loss as to what to do. I have the name of a local behaviorist that I will b calling.

sorry for the long post, but I wanted you all to get the full picture. thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Carrie
I'm relieved to find that others have had experiences like I am having with my Dobe with aggression on waking. I purchased a young male intact Dobe several months ago. His sire and dam are from Serbia with champion lines. He is extremely intelligent and so easy to train. I've owned several Dobes in my lifetime I searched a long time to find just the right companion dog and this boy's calm, gentle nature was just what I was looking for. Other than separation anxiety, he didn't have any serious problems the first few month, though I wondered about his intermittent flinching when being touched on ther sides, back or chest. He started sleeping on my bed. When I would wake up during the night and turn on the light he would wake suddenly, sometimes jump up and growl at me. It seemed like he didn't recognize me so I talked to him and he eventually knew it was me and was back to his normal gentle self. He would also react when I moved blankets on the bed with barking and moving toward me, the first time so aggressively that I had to hold a pillow in front of his head. He finally calmed down. These episodes continued but he never bit...until last night. He bit me on the lip, I put a pillow in front of his head and after several seconds he left the room. He then acted like nothing happened and was back to his gentle self. When he awakes with this aggression he acts like he doesn't recognize me. After the aggressive behavior there is a minute or two where he seems disoriented or confused. This behavior looks to me like PTSD,which may be from the same trauma that causes his occasional flinching. He is otherwise confident and never flinches when the head is touched. I read that vets are now recognizing canine PTSD. I haven't consulted my vet about it yet.

I purchased him in the US but he was likely shipped from Serbia. I don't know all of his background. He is 4 years old now.

I've decided to not allow him on my bed again but can't close the door due to his severe separation anxiety. I'll use a dog gait in the door and set up his bed on the other side, where he slept before for months without any problems.

Has anyone who has experienced this problem found any answers? Codysmom, I wonder if you were able to talk to the animal behaviorist? I know one other poster was bit but I wonder if this was intentional, or while attacking another dog?

Thanks for any input. Also if anyone has had experience with separation anxiety, I'd welcome any help with this as it's extremely limiting!

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
So sorry.
Hope you lip is ok.
Good call to go back to what works (bed outside your door).
Has your dog lived with you most of those four years?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So sorry.
Hope you lip is ok.
Good call to go back to what works (bed outside your door).
Has your dog lived with you most of those four years?
Hoss, No, I've only had him for 6 months. I've owned several other dobes but this problem is completely new to me.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,606 Posts
Look into NILF and get in touch with a behaviorist. That is not normal behavior. I'd also get him to the vet and get a full senior panel done.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Something is in your dogs history that you do not know about so I would seek assistance with this if you want to keep the dog long term.
Behaviorist yep.
Work up is a great suggestion to make sure nothing else is going on.
Stay in touch with us as others can learn from your experiences.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Codysmom, I can’t really offer any advice tho you’ve received some good advice here looks like you’re on the right track. Is his crate in a corner? It might make him feel more protected and not as vulnerable when he sleeps. I was also wondering if he has had any of these episodes while being crated at night? If so, I would not go to him but just talk to him from your bed (since it’s dark and he can’t see you) and let him calm himself down and be reassured that it’s you in the room and not the “bad” person. Again, I have no experience in this, just something I would try.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts