Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my two Doberman' s ears cropped about 3 weeks ago and they smell terrible. The vet says they are not infected but the smell is so loud it can clear a room! is this normal or should I be looking for a new vet? I had another Doberman' s ears done about 10 years ago and I don't ever remember her ears having a foul smell like this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^^^^ what they said.

Did you say two? Holy cow that's a handful. May want to do some side research on litter mate syndrome when you have a moment. I only have one so I've never experienced it but have read threads on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
All of my dobermans always had some stinky odor coming from their ears when it was time to change their posts, but it wasn't something that you would notice unless you were really close to their ears. If you can smell the dog across the room something is not right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had them reposted on Thursday and they started to smell bad by Friday night. Before that, they were just retaped on Monday before the holiday. I am taking them to a friend who does ear taping today so he can clean and repost, then to a new vet on Monday.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
If they smell that bad, if they look irritated inside, or if they have any kind of fluid seepage, do not repost them. Clean them and get the pups to a vet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It sounds like it's either infected or one of the products you use to tape has some side effect. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Ears smell in general.. Some people notice more then others. BUT the concern would lay is if the smell changed. Untape them right away and clean them, with peroxide, then rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will dry the ear out. Then apply gold bond medicated powder in the base before taping.
If you've got two pups (which isn't a great idea) be careful they aren't chewing or messing with each other's ears, as this can cause issues. Pups are silly and are likely to chew, lick and make a mess of each other's ears in general.
If the ears have alot of drainage, junk in general in the base see your vet. Your pups should of been on a strong antibiotic after cropping. As well the edges should of been exposed not taped over to heal proper, for at least 7 days if not longer. If this wasn't done this could be your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late response...turns out, blood had seeped down into the tape and caused the terrible smell. They are still being posted 2.5 months later. One (Brick) is standing very well and is on his last post. The other(Drake) is almost there. They have show length which sometimes takes longer to stand I hear. The only problem I'm having now is the skin at the base of ear splitting near the front area of the tape. Any suggestions on why this keeps happening to only one of the boy's ears?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Yes old blood smells horrific they may be messing with each other ears if they are keeping them wet by licking each other they will not heal. Show ears do have to be posted for a long time usually past teething, sometimes ears are posted up to a year old. Rather post then have them fall so do not try to hurry the process. By the names they sound like they are both males you may want to re-home one now while it is a puppy male on male aggression is normal in the Doberman breed. It is something that cannot be trained out of them does not matter if they are neutered they may get along great until they are 2-3 years old. Then if they ever get in a fight it will be crate and rotate the rest of their lives they can and may fight to the death.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts