Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend and today have been crazy insane. Jordan's birthday party, a sleepover, (parents of the child that was sleeping over just never left and also slept over on my couch!!!! never again!). I fell behind on homework and housework and was just really rushed this morning. Normally I don't walk both dogs together. I like to be able to have all my attention on Chi and it's just too difficult to hold two leashes and a clicker. But this morning I was rushed and Petri really wanted a walk so I took them both. Mind you I was not in the most patient mood ever. Chi was excited because she didn't get a walk yesterday and was just nutty; bouncing, pulling, trying to jump on Petri, lunging and trying to eat the stupid beagle that wasn't on lead and rushed at us... Anyway I let all of this great clicker training info fly right from my head and became very cross with Chi. I gave her a few moderately hard leash corrections and used the "mom" voice. I was so frustrated by the time got back home, I put both dogs in their kennels so I could take a bit of a break and get back to my normal happy go lucky mood. Had a cup of coffee and relaxed, let the dogs out of their kennels and started on homework.
I heard Chi jump on the counter but before I could get up, she was by my side. She literally spit what she stole off the counter into my lap. What was it???? The clicker. I swear this to be completely true. She got her point across. I sat on the floor and hugged her, apologized for being the wicked, evil momma and all but cried. Will make a concerted effort to not even attempt to walk them together or train when I am frustrated and will try very hard to not forget all the great lessons that we've learned through clicker training when we really need to use them.
Just thought I'd share. I have the smartest dog in the world. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Aww, Tracy don't beat yourself up over it. You lost your temper a little(it happens to the best of us) and Chi has already forgiven you and taught you something very important at the same time. That's the wonderful thing about dogs. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I hear ya, it happens to the best of us. As a matter of fact, I had to do my little "apology" just last week.... More for my benifit than the dog's, but you know how it is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Awwwww, how sweet and smart too. Yeah don't get too mad at yourself, I did the exact same thing last night. When I get back and they lick my face off I could just slap myself silly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks like we've all been there!

I find if I'm tired, I usually don't take Jeddah walking, my tolerance level is zilch! I try and walk her morning and evening, and this evening's walk was not the best.... But tomorrow brings a new day, and hopefully a dobe who doesn't get over-excited and spins at the end of her leash!:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol dont beat your self up over it ..although thats coming from a person who does ..the other day i had a row with my mum over the phone and it was pushing me too breaking point .. harvey shrank into the corner and was looking worried ..i felt like a complete a**hole ..harvey obviously thought i was yelling at him and the look on his face was heartbreaking.. i hung up and spent the whole night loving him and fussing him. I felt so guilty ~ me and michael seriously basically never row so it must have shocked harvey to hear me angry like that :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts