Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Bad experience with Montanza Dobermans

8K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Notmontanza 
#1 ·
Has anyone worked with Montanza Dobermans out of OK? I had a deposit on a puppy with them for almost 2 months. They were communicative over email and phone/ sending pictures etc. The week I was supposed to go to OK to pick up my puppy they refunded my deposit... I called, emailed and then texted and they responded just that the puppy was no longer available. I asked a couple more questions and they just ignored me.

It was really frustrating because I searched for months and waited and in anticipation on picking up up the pup. I had my travel booked and all my supplies ready just to be let down without any explanation.

My gut is they decided to keep it or gave it to someone else and didn't want to explain. I can't imagine this is common... anything I could be missing here or are they just bad people to do business with? Certainly would never work with them again or reccomend them to anyone!

#6 ·
I think you lucked out but I would still report them to the AKC marketplace, since that seems to be where they do business. No mention of health testing, I couldn't find any pictures of the parents... I'd suggest going to the DPCA website and looking under breeder referral or lookup up the local DPCA chapter clubs and inquiring if anyone is having puppies. You can also try the UDC website for breeder referral.

#7 ·
The only requirements to advertise on the AKC Marketplace is that the dogs be AKC registered and the breeder not have their privileges suspended. That said, the bitch has the Doberland kennel name, and that breeder has well.... quite the history. She used to have the kennel names Guardian Angels and Guardian K9.

#12 ·
That is the intent - I'm not purchasing from this breeder, just trying to figure out if I need to report them and/or go after them -- or if it was a simple misunderstanding, or OP was mistaken somehow. Knowing the gender of the pup will inform me regarding the information the breeder gave me today and that's the difference between clearly intentional fraud vs something less sinister. Like others in this thread... can't find any information about them online that offers any kind of comfort regarding their practices and the health of these pups, and at the very least this thread may show up to someone adopting in the future and clarify to them how sinister (or not so) these people are.

He said some other slightly concerning things over the phone, in any case. No contract of any kind. No health check. Sire and Dam came from overseas -- etc.

#13 ·
I'm not defending this breeder, but I'm not sure what fraud could be proven. Placing a deposit is an indication that you are willing to purchase a puppy, but unless you already have a signed contract in place, the breeder is under no obligation to actually sell you a dog. The OP said that their deposit was refunded, so while there might be shady breeding and business ethics, there is no theft of funds.

Reactions: melbrod
#14 ·
Unless it's an ongoing issue and not every customer has been refunded. The same breeder promised to hold a dog for me and sold it anyway, which indicates this is not an innocuous one-time mistake. At the very least, they're churning over puppies without regard for who they speak to and make promises to, and at very worst, there's some kind of fraud going on. It's worth finding out imo.

#18 ·
Wish I would have seen this before we fell prey. We put up deposit then started doing more research, I know, dumb right? Got too excited to find available puppies when everywhere else seemed you had to be on a waiting list. I got a reply from a person on a Facebook Doberman group site what a terrible experience he had with them. He got his puppy but it was very malnourished & sick. Then had terrible behavior problems after they got her physically better. Then I asked the breeder if they were on any social media and the only reply was “no”. Then I asked for any references and the only answer was “no”. I asked for the name of the vet they use and there was no reply at all. I started calling vets in Ponca City (which is where he said they are located even though website says Oklahoma City) and the third one I called would only say that they had a client who was going to buy a horse from them but backed out, the vets office didn’t give me details but let me know not to go there. I asked the man to please reverse my PayPal transaction ( it had been less than 24 hours & this is what my credit card company said to do first) and the response was to text me the part of the “contract” which says no refunds of deposit no matter the reason. Honestly, I didn’t even see that attached to the PayPal receipt until it was too late. I actually asked about a contract after I had sent the deposit & he referred me to the PayPal receipt. Then there’s all this language about them charging no less than $250/hour to recover any deposit that the buyer might try to recoup through their credit card company or PayPal. Obviously they have had much experience doing this. I feel really stupid for having fallen for this but at same time thankful that we didn’t find out by getting a sick puppy.

#19 ·

We had a good experience with them. My senior Dobie passed Oct 23rd 2020. After 12.5 years of companionship I was naturally very sad. My daughter started the conversation of new life and a little less than 2 months later our precious love Ava came via domestic flight from OK to FL. Communication, health, temperament, travel, paperwork, and overall experience were good. No issues. I have been working hard on her training and she is doing very well. Her last trip to the vet (last week) was all positive reviews stating how impressed they were with her. She is 52 lbs at 7 months old. She never pulled at the leash, was obviously very well socialized and was very sweet. To me that’s gold! Hard work paying off! She plays very well with all other dogs young and old, big and small. She loves all people, children included. She tolerates grooming well including Dremel for nails. She has earned AKC Star Puppy and Canine Good Citizen. We just started with agility training recently. Physically and cognitively Ava is doing perfect. I should be clear here to say that I am only speaking to MY experience with Montanza. I am one happy doggie Mama. Please refrain from putting me down in any way. I rarely post anything because people can be so mean online. I have posted some photos of Ava at 15 weeks and 7 months.

#21 ·
Hi LMLMD! Welcome from the Pacific NW.

I pretty sure that no one here would put you down for having a good experience with this breeder. Your girl sounds wonderful. She is handsome to boot and it sounds like you two are having fun together.

I am so glad that you didn't have to deal with any of the disappointments that some of the others commenting on this thread have dealt with. Perhaps, you are the lucky exception that proves the rule.

Best to you and Ava. and my condolences on the passing of your senior Dobe.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

#22 ·
Hi LMLMD! Welcome from the Pacific NW.

I pretty sure that no one here would put you down for having a good experience with this breeder. Your girl sounds wonderful. She is handsome to boot and it sounds like you two are having fun together.

I am so glad that you didn't have to deal with any of the disappointments that some of the others commenting on this thread have dealt with. Perhaps, you are the lucky exception that proves the rule.

Best to you and Ava. and my condolences on the passing of your senior Dobe.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
4X4,
Thank you for your kind words. I really hesitated to post anything because people can be soooo critical online it seems. Your kindness and condolences are much appreciated!

#23 ·
We purchased our Doberman from them. Bella is now 5 1/2 months old.

We bought our Doberman from them. Bella is now 5 1/2 months old. We love her to pieces but if we had to do it all over again, we would have purchased a puppy from a breeder in OKC. I say that because I don't think Bella very little contact with humans before we picked her up. You aren't allowed to pick up the puppy from their resident. You have to meet at a designated store in town. I have sent them updated photos of our Bella and no response. I hate you didn't get your puppy. Bella was already spoiled before we brought her home.

#25 ·
I saw a Female listed on the AKC website from a "breeder" in OKC. I messaged the phone number provided to see if she was still available and received a reply back saying the puppy was, then I began digging into the person since no name was stated with the posting. Turned out to be Montanza. They have a website but not much information about their dogs health testing, ok none at all. Kept digging, turns out they live in ponca city, not OKC and they breed horses. They started in montana and are now in oklahoma. The girl "Lily" is supposed to email me health information but its been a couple days and no reply. Feels sketchier more and more. Currently looking for a female pup in oklahoma from tested parents, unsettling how many backyard breeders there are. Closest thing I've found to a good breeder is out of wichita and prices her dogs at $4000-5500. I dont plan to show or do events so thats a bit steep for a trained family dog.