Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, so I'm from India and this is my first Dobie (her name is Milli and is 4 months old now) yes we got a little late in ear cropping as we could not get to a decision if we want to go for it or no and ear cropping is not banned here but the PETA guys have been pita for every vet and breeder who does it and somehow I found a breeder who had his name all over the internet in India but he was 330KM away from my city. So one weekend i talked to this breeder and went to him.

He asked me if i wanted a scissor crop or laser crop. I opted for laser as i read it somewhere that laser crop heals faster and is less bleed after the crop. Fast forward to the cropping stage, he sedated Milli and took her in the OT. He brought her out and did the dressing in front of me to teach me how i could do it as coming to him again would pratically wont be easy. As in India 334+ km is like 8 hour drive one way. Anyways he did the taping and everything and we came back to our city. He prescribed antibiotic and anti itching meds to give on daily basis. I can share the name if you guys need it.

2 days pass i see reddish/brown stuff on the taping. I ran to my nearest vet (this vet is actually good) he removed the taping and we see a really really bad infection in one of her ear. It smelled really really awful we could not even stand there. So he cleaned the wound and gave some meds along with some injection and just left the ear open without any post/taping to let the infection get heal.

15 days have passed her ears are making recovery but have not fully healed. Today, when i took her to the vet in the morning, he taped her ears and left the major wound which does not have any infection anymore only like a wound but the problem is the left open area is not fully healed and without a e-collar she tries to scratch and i'm scared she might make it even worse. I put on the e-collar again but the one is have is like a cone shaped and it keeps the ear post pushed forward. Will that be an issue?

Also, i really regret going for the crop as i thought this breeder was good because as soon as we entered his farm house it was a big big area full of dobies and great dane all in big kennels with ear cropped.

Please can someone help me what I should be doing now? should i get the taping/post totally out and let the wound dry totally first before taping them? I am attaching some images here of my puppy. I feel so sad to see her like this everyday. Breaks my heart. :crying::crying: also, the dirt you see is not dirt, its actually a cream suggested by my vet prepared from animal collagen enriched with curcumin extracts & other Herbal extracts.

I'll keep you guys updated. Any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,082 Posts
Never put tape over infection, scabs, open or oozy cut areas. You need to let her ears heal completely...just pink dry healthy skin.

Sometimes with a very small scabbed area, you can tape around it, leaving the scab open to the air and taping the rest of the ear, but judging from your pictures, the infected scabby area may be too extensive for that. It looks like your vet may have tried to tape and leave the scabby area open to the air, but it still looks like her ears have too much tape on them--it's a little hard to tell from a picture. You *might* be able to get her ears straighter (not as curled at the tip) by putting tape all of the way down just the healthy leading edge of the ear to provide support (worth a try, anyway)...but again, whatever you do...NO tape across the areas that are not healed yet.

Generally it is better not to use a cone at all, because, as you've noticed, it just pushes the ears forward into the wrong position. A puppy may scratch a little, but usually won't bother the ears enough to worry about. But if her ears are infected and still healing, they may be bothering her more than usual. If you can manage to watch her closely so you can distract her from scratching, you may be able to leave the cone off except perhaps at night.

During the day when you can keep an eye on her, you can also put socks on her rear feet to lessen the chances of her catching the ear with her pointy toenails if she does try a scratch or two. Pull the sock up above her hock (ankle joint) and put a ring of tape just on the sock above the joint where her leg is thinner than the joint; you don't need to tape the sock to her leg/fur. Leave it loose enough that you can just stick a finger tip between the tape and her leg; Usually you can get the tape snug enough it won't slide down over her ankle.

White is sock outline; green is where the tape goes.

But you will need to remove the socks anytime she is going to be left alone....the last thing you want her to do is eat one. Then you might have more problems than just wonky ears.

I think you're just going to have to be patient and keep her ears open to the air until they are completely healed. Unfortunately, you had her cropped late, and this infection is setting her back...it may be difficult for you to get her ears to stand completely.

Once you do get her ears healed, this method usually works pretty well for posting ears:
https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cr...sting-show-cropped-ears-using-backer-rod.html

And come on back here too, if you have questions or concerns about your posting job.

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, i just removed all the taping and took the post out and left ear open to heal once and for all. Due to E-collar the ears are already pushed forward. I am scared and don't want it to be a cropped and flopped job :frown3:

Do you think once it heals completely (suppose in another week) I can still post it and they might stand or I have a very less possibility of that now? :crying: Sorry i'm just little worries now. Its monsoon season also and rains daily and its taking long for the ears to dry out and heal.

I'm removing the E-collar and putting on the socks as you suggested and will let you know how things goes.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Stay in touch........do not worry.......take this one step at a time.....plenty of experienced posters on this forum......lets get this little girl feeling better ....focus on healing......stay in touch with this forum we will get you through this my friend....:wink2:

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stay in touch........do not worry.......take this one step at a time.....plenty of experienced posters on this forum......lets get this little girl feeling better ....focus on healing......stay in touch with this forum we will get you through this my friend....:wink2:
LadyDi i really appreciate every reply i'm getting. It was really scary but after seeing all of the help i'm calm and focused on healing my little girl.

In addition to what others have said she needs to see a vet and be put on antibiotics...
she was on antibiotics but after the visit to the vet this morning he just told me to use Betadine powder for a week as the wounds are almost healed and let the ear dry and open.

in additional to this, she've had urinary infection since she was 2 months old. In starting she could not get the urine out but that was fixed by a herbal med called "Himalaya Nefrotec" and was able to urine properly. But since the ear cropping the vet who did it prescribed a medicine called Calcitriol which caused her to loose total control on urine as she would urine even in her sleeps drop by drop. Its been 3 days the vet who lives near my home stopped all medicine along and she's getting the control back.

He told me that once the ear are healed he would take a blood sample and see if its the kidney problem or bladder but whatever it is will not be a major issue. Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
You really have time to get the ears standing and leaving them unposted until they are fully healed.

Your regular vet sounds more reasonable than some of the other vets that have seen her. I think that getting a blood sample after the ears are no longer an issue so that it can be determined what the origin of the urinary problem is is a very good idea.

Just for the record, I never use e-collar on puppies to keep them from scratching their ears--the sutures have been taken out it looks like so if there isn't a danger that she'll catch a nail in a suture loop the thing that has always worked for getting puppies to stop bugging their ears is to let them scratch--it takes about one time for them to find out it hurts and that effectively has stopped the scratching and pawing.

Good luck--she's sure cute.

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really have time to get the ears standing and leaving them unposted until they are fully healed.

Your regular vet sounds more reasonable than some of the other vets that have seen her. I think that getting a blood sample after the ears are no longer an issue so that it can be determined what the origin of the urinary problem is is a very good idea.

Just for the record, I never use e-collar on puppies to keep them from scratching their ears the sutures have been taken out it looks like so if there isn't a danger that she'll catch a nail in a suture loop the thing that has always worked for getting puppies to stop bugging their ears is to let them scratch--it takes about one time for them to find out it hurts and that effectively has stopped the scratching and pawing.

Good luck--she's sure cute.
Hi there, we're waiting for Saturday as we have an appointment with our regular vet for blood sample and for a general checkup on her ear.

Well, i read so much about ear cropping before getting it done just didn't know if we should be using e-collar or not but the problem was, the breeder/vet (i'm not sure what he was) cropped her ears and when we came back she had infection and the sutures were all messed up bad. They were hanging with the skin so most of the sutures are already out of the story because of the infection. Only 2 sutures are left on the bottom of her ear which the vet suggested not to mess with as he'll cut them when its fully healed. So he gave us e-collar because one time Milli scratched and took sutures out and it was raining blood. We had to rush to the vet and then she was on gas anaesthesia.

We were just too scared that she might do it again but the sock method is working great. Wish i knew it before using E-collar. Now she doesn't scratch and is rid of the Headlamp (e-collar) :grin2:

Eagerly waiting for her ears to heal so we can start with the posting and see some result in standing ears. :2smile: btw here's the latest picture of her ear. Only a little sticky part left.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,082 Posts
You want them to heal beyond just the drying up of ooze and the start of the cut areas crusting over. No posting until the scabs on her ears have fallen off and her skin is healthy and pink. But now that they are crusting over, you're getting closer to being able to start. :)

It's really hard to wait.....but starting posting again too soon will put you back in the same hole you and she have been climbing out of.

You mentioned some scary bleeding she had, and I had this thought: has she been tested for vonWillebrand's yet? Or do you know whether either of her parents were carriers or affected?

vonWillebrand's Disease is a genetic bleeding disorder....a dog who is a carrier for the disorder will have no unusual tendency to bleed, but dogs who test as genetically affected may, though not necessarily. It is helpful to know what your dog's genetic makeup is so you will know if you need to take any special precautions--when she needs surgery, for example.

Here's an older thread with a little info about vWD...
https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/283506-von-willebrand-disease.html

You don't have to get super freaked out about it....but it is something you should be aware of and quite useful to know about your dog.

Vetgen, Vetnostics and GenSol do testing here in the States. You will need to do genetic testing, not just a blood test that some vets want to do to check for vWD. You just order a test kit and will receive a swab which you run around inside the dog’s cheek and mail back in. They run a test to determine what your dog's genetic status for vWD is.

But I'm not sure if they will take samples for testing from other countries and I'm not sure where you can get info about it for your country. Ask your vet (but they aren't necessarily that familiar with the disorder specifically in dobermans--different dog breeds can have the disorder, but with different severities. The doberman variety is one of the milder kinds.) You can probably get info from the doberman registry/kennel club/national organization in your country--they would certainly be familiar with it and could tell you where to go for testing.

Remember that you need a genetic test...not a blood test. The levels of the vWD clotting factor can vary from day to day, so a blood test will only tell you about the levels on that particular day. That is not good enough to actually tell you about whether your dog has an inherited tendency to bleed more than usual.

Anyway, just something I thought of in all this talk about cropped ears, infections, bleeding......

It is great to hear that things are looking better for you guys.

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi melbrod, well i guess i exaggerated about the bleeding it bled for like 5 seconds and then clotted and stopped bleeding but it was scary sight for me. The regular vet i go to is actually a very young man like myself and he's passionate about what he does and keeps reading about everything. Although cropping is not easily performed or taken care after its done by any vet but he was very willing to take care of Milli in any way possible so i'll share your thoughts with him and maybe he'll know or can read about it. I'm sure he'll understand better than me since he's a vet.

Again, thanks a ton for the tips. I'll wait for the scabs to fall and wait for the pink skin and share the image here before i start posting. Btw by the looks of the wound what do you think how long it will take to get 100% healed?

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, just wanted to upload some pictures to show the progress on Milli's ears healing. I guess they are almost done and in like a week more and they'll be 100% ready to post. What do you guys think?

·
Milli and Max
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi again guys, ears are all healed now i stopped posting as well because my elder brother and mother wont let me post them anymore as they think it hurts her. Anyways, the ears looks amazing. Just wanted to thank each and everyone of you for all the tips and help.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Wow..as I looked over the tread ...boy o boy what a rough time you had with those ears....and now look.......what a great Dobie parent !
Good job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts