Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone ok i have some questions..
we recently took a trip to kansas city to look in on a dobe pup friend for our little jazzie butt..well we had talked to a breeder and setup a time to meet..went to his house..
he wanted $700 a pup AKC or so he says..
we walk in and the house is trashed..look like somone had had a war in it.. i mean it had pee everywhere and poo..and trash look like a giant trash can
the dogs seemed ok..althoa i didnt really get to good a look at them except the mom and the dad..for some odd reason he had saved the female down..he said that she had been fighting with the other females and had cuts so he shaved her bald.
he had a wire cage full of dobe babies..
they looked healthy and he said he took them to the vet for there shots..but when i asked him for proof he said he didnt have any..so i asked for the akc paper work..althoa judging from the condition of the house i didnt think he could find it.
and of course he didnt..
well he started to get upset saying that i was trying to suggest he was a poor breeder and that he shouldnt have let us come to his home..errr
i wanted to punch the man in the face
ok anyways..we get back here to base and take the pups out for family time at the park..we meet a lady who had a older dobe told her about what had happened well she had bought a puppy from this guy..never got the paper work he never answered her calls..she said that he wanted to meet at a park to show her the puppys..which he tried with me but i wanted to see how the pups live..k questions
1. is there anything that can be done about someone like this?
2. and if he's passing off akc dobermans isnt there something akc can do about it?
i know i dont know much about the breed but i do know those dobes deserve a better life and a smarter owner..
and if i posted in the wrong area..sorry in advance..i'm not used to forums

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
oOFireOo said:
1. is there anything that can be done about someone like this?
2. and if he's passing off akc dobermans isnt there something akc can do about it?
i know i dont know much about the breed but i do know those dobes deserve a better life and a smarter owner..
and if i posted in the wrong area..sorry in advance..i'm not used to forums
1. You could report the living conditions to the local Animal Control agency.

2. Well..this is a tricky one. IF the buyer has a sales receipt saying they're buying a registerable puppy and that receipt has the registration numbers for both parents, then the AKC can provide individual papers for the puppy. This is where the burden is on the buyer to buy smart..don't pay money for a registerable puppy unless you've been provided with some concrete information to back that up.

But many times the parents aren't AKC registered to begin with..and in that case, they buyer is just plain out of luck..there isn't a great deal the AKC can do about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will phone animal control for that area in the morning and talk to them about it..just horrible that some one could let animal or man live in those conditions. *sighs*

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
she said that he wanted to meet at a park to show her the puppys..which he tried with me but i wanted to see how the pups live..
In the end it didn't really matter how the pups lived, did it? Why even bother if you are going to support a byb?

Please, do report the pig.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but although $700 is a good bit of money, a reputable dobe breeder that health tests and/or certifies his/her bloodline of hips, cardio, eyes, vWD, puts titles on them, and gives them proper care charges a good deal more than that (not to offend anyone who paid that or less for their dobe), but that is just what I have found.

If the guy can't even organize himself and his household, how can he be responsible enough to take on something as meticulous as raising a healthy litter of pups?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i dont mind paying $700 most of the puppies I've seen are more than that..and i dont support a back yard breeder personally i think people who do that should be locked away for life..

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but although $700 is a good bit of money, a reputable dobe breeder that health tests and/or certifies his/her bloodline of hips, cardio, eyes, vWD, puts titles on them, and gives them proper care charges a good deal more than that (not to offend anyone who paid that or less for their dobe), but that is just what I have found
well i dont mind paying $700 most of the puppies I've seen are more than that..and i dont support a back yard breeder personally i think people who do that should be locked away for life..
I think Les Strat means that $700 dollars isnt enough to charge for a dog that has had all its health tests...and titles...etc...so she is saying...although it is quite a bit of money...its not enough...
lol which doesnt mean they should just raise their prices...just that they should be more responsible....and out of that their price for a pup would naturally have to go up to afford the tests etc...

·
Registered
166 Posts
LapDog said:
I think Les Strat means that $700 dollars isnt enough to charge for a dog that has had all its health tests...and titles...etc...so she is saying...although it is quite a bit of money...its not enough...
lol which doesnt mean they should just raise their prices...just that they should be more responsible....and out of that their price for a pup would naturally have to go up to afford the tests etc...

Exactly :thumbs-up

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
oOFireOo said:
ok anyways..we get back here to base and take the pups out for family time at the park..
So you bought a puppy from this individual?
I also think you should report him

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
les strat said:
Exactly :thumbs-up
I agree. When both parents are shown, and have CH., have performance titles or temperament tests, have extensive health testing, stud fees, ear cropping, shots, worming, vet expenses, etc. I very seriously doubt the puppy would go to a random puppy buyer for $700 if the dog was bred by responsible breeders. There is a lot that goes into doing things right so that good breeders do charge more than $700. Honestly puppies from a good responsbile breeder are worth every penny for many reasons that we often talk about on this board.

On the other hand, there are horrible byb's on the Internet selling their Dobe puppies for 1,000 and up, thinking that people believe if they pay more, they automatically are getting a quality dog.
These so called breeders ( some call them greeders) don't put anything into their dogs or puppies at all, and really don't care about much but money. They certainly aren't temperament testing, don't do any health testing, don't show, don't crop ears, don't give proper vet care, and so on. They don't respect the breed as a whole, or their puppy buyers, b/c if they did, they would put more time and effort into producing better Dobermans for the breed's sake and for the future owners sake.

but prices do tell you something some of the time.
With really low prices you can know it is a byb, b/c if they were doing things the right way, it would be impossible to sell their puppies for such a low price. Most really good breeders don't make money and aren't in it for the money anyway, but they would really suffer a huge loss selling their puppies for 700 or under.
It is really important you do research before being scammed by byb's and puppy mills. Price is one important factor, but there is also much more you need to look out for so slick overpriced byb's and puppy mills don't take your money.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Price is one important factor, but there is also much more you need to look out for so slick overpriced byb's and puppy mills don't take your money.
yes I was going to say something about being OVER priced could be a clue too to be careful.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Please clarify this for me, I am a little lost in this posting. Did you purchase a puppy from this person or not?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
oOFireOo said:
So you didn't buy one of his puppies? Because if you did, you did support a byb.

Maybe I am misreading your posts?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think when she said she took the puppies to the park she was talking about her own dogs and "I don't mind paying $700" just means she's ok with the price not that she actually paid that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts