Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have an 11 week old pup who is left home alone on Monday and Tuesdays. I stopped in to clean his exercise pen and give him his afternoon meal. While I did that, he was in our fenced in back yard. It left me with a question 馃 prior to returning to work. At what age can I start leaving my doberman in the backyard to roam and play while away for 1-4 hours at a time? It has to be better than the small exercise pen that we have for him. Ive already locked the gate from the inside. Its a 7 foot fence so I know nothing will get in or out. I believe my pup has grown to a size that poses no threat from an aerial attack. Although hes 100% going to be an inside dog and sleep inside, I want to get him a dog house for the back yard if he likes it back there from time to time. Is this a bad idea? And when can I start? Any tips?

Cloud Sky Property Plant Shade

Registered
I'm not sure where your live but dobermans aren't really an outside breed. They don't have the coat to withstand much heat or cold. In the picture posted I don't see much shade and dog houses don't tend to have a lot of ventilation. Could you install a dog door instead?

Premium Member
Agree with G- Red - And have to add - pup's are never to be trusted -- period . They will find anything and everything to get into , and eat it , possibly causing a blockage . Our 10 month old is a hellion , lol When she goes out , I go out and thats not a 100 % guarantee they can't get into something quick , the other day , I seen her digging along the fence - grab something and take off running , right back to me - she had a fair size rock in her mouth , I did get her to drop it ( luck ) but you just never know . But to answer your question on how long ? a few years : ))

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I鈥檝e definitely been thinking about a dog door. I just didnt know if that was a safe thing. I figured if a 100lb dog could get in and out so could a burglar. I live in Charlotte NC, and there is now a trampoline and a few other things outside that produce shade. I dont trust him at 11 months to roam around the house but attaching the dog door would be very smart. That would handle the main goal which would be allowing him to have access outside. I may have to look into that! Im trying to minimize using pee pads and him thinking its okay to go inside as well as give him another option if I actually get stuck a little longer than 4 hours at work. All other 5 days someone is home with him majority of the day.

Premium Member
Agree with @Gretchen_Red and @ECIN - not to be trusted, not to be left outside. Beyond everything they mentioned, I鈥檇 be worried about the puppy getting stolen. Having just spent 6 months in NC, I鈥檇 advise against it. A family friend who is an officer with Southern Pines PD told us that dog theft is on the rise, especially the guarding breeds and French Bulldogs.

Now that my dread and doom has been stated, consider setting up his crate inside the house with the door opening into a large x-pen where he can be by himself while staying out of trouble. If he has water, appropriate toys he should be able to 鈥渃hill鈥 until someone comes home. That may be the best balance between the puppy having freedom and not really having any.
Something like this:

Image sourced via fydogtraining.com

Registered
Honestly...I'd never leave a dog outside unsupervised unless they were a LGD and had a job to do. This is how dogs get stolen and poisoned (and trust me, they'll happily snatch a Doberman as much as they'll snatch a pit or a pocket dog).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with @Gretchen_Red and @ECIN - not to be trusted, not to be left outside. Beyond everything they mentioned, I鈥檇 be worried about the puppy getting stolen. Having just spent 6 months in NC, I鈥檇 advise against it. A family friend who is an officer with Southern Pines PD told us that dog theft is on the rise, especially the guarding breeds and French Bulldogs.

Now that my dread and doom has been stated, consider setting up his crate inside the house with the door opening into a large x-pen where he can be by himself while staying out of trouble. If he has water, appropriate toys he should be able to 鈥渃hill鈥 until someone comes home. That may be the best balance between the puppy having freedom and not really having any.
Something like this:
View attachment 137845
Image sourced via fydogtraining.com
Im going to make this exact setup with his crate and pen. I was actually thinking about the doggy door, but I did have a Staffordshire pitbull puppy stolen from me about 7-8 years ago. Is that a patch of grass in a box? How well does that work, and how long did it take for your dog to get use to?

Premium Member
Im going to make this exact setup with his crate and pen. I was actually thinking about the doggy door, but I did have a Staffordshire pitbull puppy stolen from me about 7-8 years ago. Is that a patch of grass in a box? How well does that work, and how long did it take for your dog to get use to?
That is not my setup but I know others who use this setup with great success. I sourced this image from a website and I think the grass patch is something like this: www.doggielawn.com. If you try this setup, go slowly and let him get comfortable in the pen while you are still home. Make sure he can stay in the pen for a couple hours (after peeing, playing, and peeing again) BEFORE you leave him alone. Good luck!

Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
I did something vaguely like this with my first dobe--we lived in an apartment and the kitchen was a galley kitchen with one opening (no door) at one end and a space at the other end designed to hold a table and chairs.

We took out the table (actually, I don't think we even HAD one at that point) which left a nice space at the end, and then barricaded the doorway with a 4 foot tall piece of plywood. One end of it slid between the refrigerator and the wall, which held it upright, and it could be slid even further back to get in and out. It was many many years ago (1981 or so)--we had never even heard of crate training.

We used paper when he was a puppy, but once he was potty-trained, he didn't need anything for the length of time he was penned.

Premium Member
I personally would never leave a dog outside (of any age) when I was not home. I also would not give them access to the the outside. JMHO
I would instead look into hiring a trust worthy dog walker to come on the days that you can't be home. By the time they are grown, they should comfortably be able to go 8 hours alone. Most puppies get totally used to spending time in a crate as long as they get good exercise before you leave and after you get home. You can try the crate and x-pen set up, but I guarantee you that they will probably figure out how to jump on top of their crate by the time they are 5-6 months old. JMHO after raising quite a few Doberman puppies.

Premium Member
These pups look big as they mature but even at 15 months they are still learning so much.
So IMO if you are afraid of pup destroying inside of house best to crate train.
Yeah they cry and howl when first left in a crate but we must be good advocates for our dogs.
After all they (the dog) do not know that we are actually protecting them from harm in so many ways.
In time they learn through repition that you leave and then return.
They like babies will pick up on your daily patterns.
Crate training can also benefit your dog if they ever have to go to the vet鈥榮 office for the day.
Best for your dog to be familar with a crate from home training than for the first time to experience crate at the vet office.
You have a baby in your house for 2 years learning good habits and hopefully avoiding bad habits.
So out side IMO is a no go.
You may save your house but the result could be a dog that has trained himself bad habits While alone.

Registered
View attachment 137864

Another good reason NOT to leave a pup outside unattended .
Hey guys, I have an 11 week old pup who is left home alone on Monday and Tuesdays. I stopped in to clean his exercise pen and give him his afternoon meal. While I did that, he was in our fenced in back yard. It left me with a question 馃 prior to returning to work. At what age can I start leaving my doberman in the backyard to roam and play while away for 1-4 hours at a time? It has to be better than the small exercise pen that we have for him. Ive already locked the gate from the inside. Its a 7 foot fence so I know nothing will get in or out. I believe my pup has grown to a size that poses no threat from an aerial attack. Although hes 100% going to be an inside dog and sleep inside, I want to get him a dog house for the back yard if he likes it back there from time to time. Is this a bad idea? And when can I start? Any tips?

When I was working, I installed a dog door onto a storm door for the side of the garage. In the garage was a comfy space for my dog within an X pen by the man-door. It stayed cool enough in the summer and I used a heat lamp in the winter when needed. I was able to lock and alarm the house.

View attachment 137842

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We couldnt take him to daycare due to him getting his ears cropped last week. This is his setup for now. I pop in as much as possible but just in case I take too long. So far he鈥檚 been holding and waiting to go outside. Thanks @MMcCown

Product Mesh Grille Gas Motor vehicle

Premium Member
@SCusa864 this looks great! I鈥檇 be wary of day care at this very young age. Likely, he is in or will soon go through a fear stage and one mishap or scary thing can have disastrous effects on the mental development of a puppy. He is too young. I say, gentle feet-on-the ground playtime, lots of sniffing in the yard on- and off-leash, lots of puppy brain games and you鈥檒l have the recipe for plenty of stimulation and exercise while he safely grows and gets all his shots. Puppies have accidents and you have the pee pads at the ready, so I say you are doing really well. Keep posting pictures because he is a sweetie! His little face is so earnest and 11 weeks (12 now?) is such a baby. I just wanna smooch on his snoot!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He turns 13 weeks this week. Ive been taking pictures every week. Im hoping to keep it going as he grows. Thank you for the kind words and support as well! So far so good. I had to change his diet to correct the growth in his front legs but he should be good with the vet meds and new grain inclusive diet. He鈥檚 awesome and loves attention. We just have to get past the cone until Saturday 馃槗.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog
Plant Sleeve Comfort Grey Headgear

Premium Member
There are a lot of experts here who will tell you to ditch the cone, that the cone may rub on his stitches, so check for some of those threads. Apparently, one scratch and the pup figures it out.
I read about his legs and the pros here are right on. A good quality food will right him in no time.
What is his name? He really does look like he is ready for anything!

Reactions: melbrod

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanted to name him Anubis but my kids and wife made it clear that his name is Ovi lol. So Ovi (O-V) it is. The cone is for his tail. He had it repaired due to a bad docking job. Thankfully the breeder took responsibility and paid for the repair. Luckily it was on the minor end, but it required stitches. The cone is to make sure he doesnt nip at it. I鈥檒l probably remove the cone this weekend. He鈥檒l get the stitches out of his ear and the cup removed on Saturday morning.

Premium Member
I wanted to name him Anubis but my kids and wife made it clear that his name is Ovi lol. So Ovi (O-V) it is. The cone is for his tail. He had it repaired due to a bad docking job. Thankfully the breeder took responsibility and paid for the repair. Luckily it was on the minor end, but it required stitches. The cone is to make sure he doesnt nip at it. I鈥檒l probably remove the cone this weekend. He鈥檒l get the stitches out of his ear and the cup removed on Saturday morning.
It has a ring to it! But is it:
  • Ovi like the Romanian singer?
  • OVI as in the Ohio DUI designation?
  • Or Ovi like Ovinius Callimus, the Roman senator?
In any event, he looks like an Ovi more than an Anubis!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, its also annoying to say Anubis. I was naming him after the Egyptian god but that fell through. Anubis led lost souls to the afterlife and helped them be judged as good or evil (according to the Egyptians). I was always interested in greek mythology and Egyptian deities due to their super hero like stories. We have his dogtag as Anubis 鈥淥vi鈥 Brown. I may have to cut the Anubis tho lol.

View attachment 138180 View attachment 138180

1 - 20 of 24 Posts