Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been looking at several different sites trying to decide on a hiking pack for my dog. While he is most likely too young and I will not get it for a while, I am excited and enjoy doing the research to get the absolute best product for my money.

Does anyone have a style or brand of dog backpack they love?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Of the packs currently on the market and readily available, I like Ruffwear. One caveat is the fitting. Best to try them on when the dog is fully mature. I have had some mods done on both of my packs; fortunately, there is a tack shop in town that also has a repair shop. Personally, I like the style where you can leave the harness on and lift the pack off.

Make sure that both sides of the pack are loaded equally and have a scale available as the weight needs to be equal. Until a dog is fully mature at 18 months, keep the weight at a minimum. I do get mine in packs before 18 months but stuff something light like a jacket in them rather than any real weight. You also want to keep all the straps next to the dog clean, as any debris in them will cause rub marks. I have all my straps wrapped, in easy off and on for cleaning, real sheepskin halter pads. Check online or at a local tack shop for these. You want the real sheepskin not the fake stuff.

Here are the two packs I have.

This one was purchased in the 90’s for my current girl’s uncle. It was a large and straps were modified to fit Tara. (red pack in pic)
Wenaha Dog Packs

Rex has this one from Ruffwear in large and I did have the straps taken down some. It actually did fit with the available adjustments but I wanted them centered a little better.
Palisades Pack? - Ultimate Backcountry Dog Pack

FYI, REI has all Ruffwear at 25% off with the sale ending TODAY.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ivan has the Ruffwear Approach pack. I got it for him at 10 months old. It fits him well and I don't foresee him growing out of it.

Getting both sides even is difficult. I give it my best guess when putting things in it (long line, poop bags, etc.), but inevitably I end up having to make tiny adjustments once we're on our way.

Ivan was already used to wearing a harness for SAR, so he didn't really have any adjustment period or training for wearing the backpack. As far as the SAR harness, I just put it on him and then let him loose on a search, so since he was working he quickly forgot about the harness and it was never an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts