Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Torque is a very hyper, rather ADD, 2 year old. I know that is about par for the course. I call him the energizer dog.

I was thinking about getting a backpack for him to wear to hopefully wear out some of his energy. He has the run of a 20 acre farm. His favorite things to do are chase birds flying over head and to run ahead of cars driving down the road then stop in the corner and bark until the cars catch up. No worries about him getting hit, there is an Invisible Fence (which he 100% respects) and a stone wall (that he could totally jump over but it provides a visual barrier). I live off a gravel road so not too many cars in the first place and they are driving slower than he can run. (a friend of mine clocked him at 28mph, while barking!) One of the "problems" I want to fix is the car chasing (not really chasing as he runs ahead but I don't really want him doing it at all) but that's another topic. He also comes with me when I hack out on the horses I ride. I live in a small apartment on the property but he gets plenty of exercise.

Point is... Backpack or no? My main worry with it is that it will rub his fur off and cause raw spots. Has any one used one? If yes, what kind and size?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah wears a backpack when we go hiking. It has never rubbed her hair off. Do you mean you are just going to put it on him for the day while he runs around? Maybe he needs more mental stimulation. You havent really stated what you do with him. As far as him chasing the cars the more he does it the more ingrained it becomes. VERY BAD HABIT!

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Kyrah wears a backpack when we go hiking. It has never rubbed her hair off. Do you mean you are just going to put it on him for the day while he runs around? Maybe he needs more mental stimulation. You havent really stated what you do with him. As far as him chasing the cars the more he does it the more ingrained it becomes. VERY BAD HABIT!
There is usually only one way dogs end up chasing cars. And it's not pleasant. Hopefully someone will offer suggestions on how to train this out of a dog. All I can suggest is an electronic collar. At times I wish I had another dober so Emily would have someone to really rough house with to wear her out. Right now she is too hard on the border collie (older) that belongs to my son. But I can hardly handle the enthusiasm that she has. Don't know what I would do with two. They can really wear you out can't they?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Torque would not just wear the backpack all day. He would wear it when I take him out when I ride the horses out (which is pretty much every day) and when he goes on walks (on days I don't ride). I have an e-collar for him already for when I ride out. This area has a lot of horses and dogs and other people ride out all the time so I need to make sure Torque is on his best behavior all the time. He doesn't really need the e-collar anymore, but its like a safety net. I don't worry about Torque being bad actually, I worry about other dogs misbehaving and Torque getting caught in the middle of it, and getting blamed for anything that happens since he's the "big, bad doberman".

As far as the chasing cars thing goes. The reason why it is difficult to fix that is because other people on the farm will encourage the behavior. I haven't made it a priority to stop because when I ride out with him (sometimes down the road) whenever I see a car I make him come and sit next to the horse and he will always sit and wait till the car is past then he doesn't care about it even when I release him from the sit. It is a horrible habit that I really should have never neglected. It is definitely a priority to stop the car chasing. I need to tell everyone else around that I do not want him chasing cars. My boss encourages her dogs to do it too. Rather frustrating actually.

I have been trying to stimulate Torque mentally more as well. He is too smart for his own good really... I got a book of "101 Pet Tricks" so we are working on learning some of those. Any other suggestions for "boredom breakers"? I don't think he is always bored but when he wakes me up an hour before I have to be up in the mornings already at energy level 10 I'd like to be able to give him something to do so he will let me sleep. He is not in a crate (he sleeps in bed with me and Po), and he is not destructive in anyway, but his morning breath.... UGH! hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Read this a long time ago Cold bucket of water dog chasing car second person in the car dumps cold water on dog.Might work better in a pick up truck but would think it would have to be a surprise to the dog ? Of course if you have a e- collar you may need to use it I would be scared to death my dog would get killed or badly injured very bad habit. Good Luck stopping him.As far as the back pack My Dobe Buddy carries the water ,treats, and bags for poop when we go walking I'm usually on my scooter. The only thing I would worry about is if the pack got stuck on something out in the woods and you could not find him.??? of course that might not happen do not know what kind of area you have that your boy runs around in.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
My 2 year old has a leg problem from a tiny stress fracture that happened when he was a pup. When he gets tired or overdoes it...the limp comes back.

I would worry about the backpack on for a long time with weight actually causing an issue with his joints, but I could be all wrong about this.

There must a bunch of ways to discourage that car thing...sounds really potentially dangerous for him. I'm suprised the e collar didn't work for that.

I wear out my 2 year old and 6 month old with LOTS of fetch play, but we are on top of a steep mountain and going up and down hills wears that excess energy down quickly.

Sure hope you can solve this. He will calm down for you at some point. My 6 month old and my previous Dobe, Loki, sound very much like your pup!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read this a long time ago Cold bucket of water dog chasing car second person in the car dumps cold water on dog.Might work better in a pick up truck but would think it would have to be a surprise to the dog ? Of course if you have a e- collar you may need to use it I would be scared to death my dog would get killed or badly injured very bad habit. Good Luck stopping him.As far as the back pack My Dobe Buddy carries the water ,treats, and bags for poop when we go walking I'm usually on my scooter. The only thing I would worry about is if the pack got stuck on something out in the woods and you could not find him.??? of course that might not happen do not know what kind of area you have that your boy runs around in.
He would only wear the pack when I take him with me on a ride with the horses. When he comes with me then he is never out of my eye site so no worries about him getting stuck on something. That is totally something he would do too... Silly Pup pup! What kind of pack do you have for Buddy?

Also, I have not used the e-collar to deter the car chasing yet, but he's going to start wearing it anytime he is outside. Just talking about it on here has made me realize how neglectful I've been over something so potentially dangerous. I take full responsibility and am going to work hard to fix it. I'll keep you posted, he's a smart dog so it should be too hard to stop.

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts
A backpack is great. You need to condition him to wearing it, starting with no weight and then working up slowly. You'll want to do some reading on how much weight he can carry. However, I will caution you that a likely outcome is that you will merely increase his endurance and energy. My girl has worn a backpack while hiking, and it didn't not end up decreasing energy overall. She just got in better shape and had more energy for longer periods :D

You might want to work in more mental stimulation as an energy buster. Have you tried puzzle toys? Teaching tricks is great, too. Here's a good blog by a dog trainer on mental exercise: https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/mental-exercise/

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby wears a K9 harness on which I can put dog backpacks, it is made my DOXLOCK, he wears it when we go on long walks and in it carries his water bowl (collapsible material type) and a water bottle amongst other things, (I limit the weight so as not to cause him problems). It doesnt rub him and he doesnt seem to mind it, although he isn't always aware how wide he is when squeezing through bushes etc.

Regards the chasing of cars, my 2 Terriers and indeed my Boxer (now passed on) were car chasers, I tried everything but in the end had to resort to an e-collar. Now I know they are not for everyone but it has worked to stop them. I now only need say "NO! Leave it" and take hold of the handset (not use it) and they sit down and watch the car pass us without so much as a hint of wanting to chase it. Don't get me wrong, if they didnt wear their collars I am sure they would slip back into their car chasing routine, but for now, with the aid of the collar we don't have a problem.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A backpack is great. You need to condition him to wearing it, starting with no weight and then working up slowly. You'll want to do some reading on how much weight he can carry. However, I will caution you that a likely outcome is that you will merely increase his endurance and energy. My girl has worn a backpack while hiking, and it didn't not end up decreasing energy overall. She just got in better shape and had more energy for longer periods :D https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/mental-exercise/
I did not even think about him building up more muscle and stamina... He already seems to be more excited when he comes back every time he gets to go out on a hack with me (those are his "walks"). The pack will have to be for "selective" usage. I'm going to go and just get the Petco brand one tomorrow, for a test run to see how it will work out. They are pretty cheap so if it rips or Torque doesn't like it, no big deal.

Also, day 1 of no car chasing went VERY well. I basically made sure I stopped the behavior before it even started. He wore his e-collar, but I only had to use it once and only a tone. (some vehicles are more tempting than others). But mostly I just put him in a sit, stay and made him wait until the car was gone. Hopefully, this means it will be easy to train out of him. *fingers crossed*

His energy level first thing in the morning is actually the biggest issue. Its actually causing problems with me and my boyfriend. I ordered "Control Unleashed" which should be here by Thursday. And I am trying to give him even more mental stimulation. Today we worked on "find it" under cups that i poked holes into the bottom of then put a treat under one cup and had him figure out where the treat was, he was not quite getting the concept but we'll keep at it. It is a work in progress, and I do understand that he is still a puppy and that mostly time will solve this more than anything.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Buddy's back pack is just a regular pack bought it at a store like Pets mart but called Southern Agriculture here in Tulsa. I started out with small water bottles worked my way up to a larger water bottle on each side.Also have the collapsible water bowl,bag of treats & newspaper bags for poop to go in. It also has saved Buddy twice when he was attacked by loose dogs one jumped a 5" fence to go after him.The other was just running loose the back pack was bitten instead of Buddy be he was attacked instead of Patches my little Dachshund she was sitting on the scooter. Used a air horn but it did not get rid of the loose dog.

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts
If he's just really high energy and not good at settling down, I would recommend some self control exercises. Go to Youtube and search for "It's Yer Choice." Helping dogs learn self control is very important, and it does translate to a calmer dog. I would also recommend taking a look at Kikopup's Youtube channel (kikopup's Channel - YouTube). She has a great video on how to promote calmer behavior.

Reactions: Ahalvorsen
1 - 12 of 12 Posts