Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of it? I happened to noticed it while I was checking out a new pet store while waiting the 3 hours it took to fill Kahlua's prescription (long story). The only reasoned I noticed it is because it had coupons hanging off of it and it said Grain, Gluten and Potato free... like Nature's Variety Instinct, which I feed the dogs currently. I checked out Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings and it was rated 5 stars.

Basically, I was just wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences with it or has heard of it before.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had not heard of this. Provided the website is accurate and honest, I not only like the products, but I like the company as well. If you sign up for their newsletter on the website, you get a $5.00 coupon. If I wasn't feeding dead animals to my dog, I would give this a try!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might try it, it had the $5 off coupon on the bag, plus a $10 mail in rebate, and I have a $40 gift certificate to the store.

I'm wondering if I could just add the pork into my Nature's Variety Instinct rotation since the pork is really the only formula I'm interested in (Harley doesn't do well on poultry). It's getting hard to find the NVI formula's around me anyways, they are only stocking Chicken (which I can't use) and salmon :(

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
LindaH suggested this brand to me for Odin when I was trying to figure out his allergies, but I did not try it because of the pea protein. I was to worried that Odin would react to that. But doing the research on it I read nothing but good results.

Reactions: KahluaGrl

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LindaH suggested this brand to me for Odin when I was trying to figure out his allergies, but I did not try it because of the pea protein. I was to worried that Odin would react to that. But doing the research on it I read nothing but good results.
Oh yes, I haven't asked her about it yet.. but since you mentioned it I won't need to. I've been working with her a lot and picking her brain about Sardines and allergies, Harley is loving his daily sardines :)

Hopefully I can add this food in the rotation without much of a problem.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Oh yes, I haven't asked her about it yet.. but since you mentioned it I won't need to. I've been working with her a lot and picking her brain about Sardines and allergies, Harley is loving his daily sardines :)

Hopefully I can add this food in the rotation without much of a problem.
yeah I wanted to feed it but the only place that sold it was an hour drive away and I just wasn't sure if Odin would react to the pea's. If there was a place that sold it closer to me I would totally try it out. For now Odin is doing really good on First Mate. It was really hard to find a quality kibble with Odin being allergic to Beta carotene.

Reactions: KahluaGrl

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just saw this. Hope the Back to Basics worked for you. I wanted to add it, Pork, to Parkers rotation, but he reacted to the flax. I am also not wild about the peas as they are often used to boost protein content and vegetable protein is hard for a dog to digest.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just saw this. Hope the Back to Basics worked for you. I wanted to add it, Pork, to Parkers rotation, but he reacted to the flax. I am also not wild about the peas as they are often used to boost protein content and vegetable protein is hard for a dog to digest.
He seems to be doing ok, I'm not sure what exactly is making things better for Harley, if it is a combination of everything or just one thing, but he scratches his ears and chews on his feet A LOT less than before. I keep him off anything with Poultry. Back to Basics did say they were coming out with Beef liver and Venison formula when I wrote on their facebook wall.

I think I will keep the Back to Basics in their rotation (pork, maybe the beef when it comes out) since I can never find the NVI in big bags in the stores. They probably won't get Back to Basics very often though, I am more fond of the NVI line.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
A beef liver and venison! I would love that if they would just get rid of the flax so Parker could eat it. Have you considered ordering online? It is actually cheaper on me as there is no sales tax or shipping fees if you sign up for auto delivery. You can change formulas and delivery dates, so I kind of like it anyway, plus the food is at my doorstep instead of having to go get it. I have found the prices to be comparable with stores minus sales tax. Also, a much bigger selection. The dog bisquits from NVI were actually $2.00 cheaper than Petco. First time shoppers often get free delivery + promo codes for bucks off. You can float around companies for best prices for a while:) Glad to hear Harley is doing so well! Are you cleaning ears w/acv water mix? Remember, you can feed foods w/chicken fat as it is chicken protein the dog reacts to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts