Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diesel has been with us for a month now and we have tried everything under the sun to create train him and none of it is working. He will gladly go in but the second you close that door he flips. There's been no progress at all. It has been the same thing everyday for a month so I have very little hope of him being crate trained however my boyfriend needs to be able to go back to working during the day and Diesel all needs to realize its ok to be alone. I am going with plan B which is gating the kitchen. Now I am very hesitant about this because all the dogs I have ever owned have been crate trained. My 9 year old lab loves his crate. My husky used to sleep in his crate even if we didn't close the door but for some reason Diesel is persistent in not wanting that door closed. I wanted people's opinions on this. He is not old enough or even close to old enough to have free roam nor do I trust him out in the house without us.

What does every think of gating the kitchen? I live in an apartment so it's bigger then his crate but not huge. There isn't anything for him to get into except chewing the cabinets which is a fear of mine even though he hasn't shown interest in them.

Random but this was suggests to me by our vet and my aunt who is also a vet but i have no experience with it or know if it will even work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How have you been crate training him?

Mabel came with a basic crate training but we've been expanding on it with the same program the breeder did.

Crate Games

The dvd is well worth the $ despite susan's well for lack of a more eloquent word Werid voice changes and tones lol

It makes the crate super fun and exciting with door open or closed, and the full wire one like yours makes treating even easier.

Don't forget if he gets the door shut and throws a fit, try and ride it out.
I sat with one puppy, oddly my fav, from last springs litter for 20 min of her howling, and scratching the door, and whining, and trying to eat the blanket, and barking, and just carrying on. She is very very very velcro, so to see me but not be able to get to me and be free frankly sucked. All I did was sit there legs crossed in front of the crate not making eye contact, and not talking to her minus the occassional no for blanket chewing, and ignored her. Rude puppies get no attention!! I picked my nails, looked at my phone, looked out the window, and etc... I went about life right in front of her until she realized I didnt care. Then she shut up, click, treat, open sesame!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How have you been crate training him?

Mabel came with a basic crate training but we've been expanding on it with the same program the breeder did.

Crate Games

The dvd is well worth the $ despite susan's well for lack of a more eloquent word Werid voice changes and tones lol

It makes the crate super fun and exciting with door open or closed, and the full wire one like yours makes treating even easier.

Don't forget if he gets the door shut and throws a fit, try and ride it out.
I sat with one puppy, oddly my fav, from last springs litter for 20 min of her howling, and scratching the door, and whining, and trying to eat the blanket, and barking, and just carrying on. She is very very very velcro, so to see me but not be able to get to me and be free frankly sucked. All I did was sit there legs crossed in front of the crate not making eye contact, and not talking to her minus the occassional no for blanket chewing, and ignored her. Rude puppies get no attention!! I picked my nails, looked at my phone, looked out the window, and etc... I went about life right in front of her until she realized I didnt care. Then she shut up, click, treat, open sesame!

We've tried crate games, I've done tips from kikopup videos, I've gotten in there with him, I've let him cry it out (cried for an hour straight), got him a frozen filled kong and bully sticks that were only for his crate (that only worked for two days for about 15 minutes each now he won't even touch them if there in there with him) I tried the sitting in front of him and watching tv and ignoring him and it was almost like he barked louder. I put him in there when he falls asleep. We've done a lot. I've tried to make him realize it's the best place to be but he refuses to break. I have no idea why. Im not sure if it's cause he wasn't to be with me that bad or what. I just feel like after a month I should at least see a tiny bit of progress.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a firm believer in crate training. You never know when they might have to spend the night at the vet.

Check out this thread: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/59269-how-make-crate-fun.html

Also, I would set her crate up like this, with an x-pen attached: ( I believe this is Starlightdobe's setup)

I'm a big believer in it too thats why I'm frustrated. It's going to be horrible if he ever has to stay at a vet if we can't figure something out. I'm completely out of ideas.

That's a good idea only problem is the only place we don't have carpet is in the kitchen so I'm not sure how I would make that work.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Stubborn much? lol but no seriously thats about all it can come down to at this point, and like it or not he has to learn to be confined to his crate.

How does he do if say put in the kitchen behind a baby gate but your still in sight?

How fast once you shut the door does he start to throw his fit?

Perhaps, and it might require some speed, clicker in one hand close the door with the other, the second it is closed but not latched, click treat open door.
Start out with it being really short like that for a week and see if you can work that to the door closed for a few seconds and keep working it longer and longer. About 5-10 times each session (his performance would tell you when he's done) and make sure you try and end on a nice high note and when he does really good, perhaps sitting staring at you without any look besides interest, make a big party out of it!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stubborn much? lol but no seriously thats about all it can come down to at this point, and like it or not he has to learn to be confined to his crate.

How does he do if say put in the kitchen behind a baby gate but your still in sight?

How fast once you shut the door does he start to throw his fit?

Perhaps, and it might require some speed, clicker in one hand close the door with the other, the second it is closed but not latched, click treat open door.
Start out with it being really short like that for a week and see if you can work that to the door closed for a few seconds and keep working it longer and longer. About 5-10 times each session (his performance would tell you when he's done) and make sure you try and end on a nice high note and when he does really good, perhaps sitting staring at you without any look besides interest, make a big party out of it!

Yea he's trying to be like me and be stubborn haha

I've never tried a baby gate so I have no idea. My boyfriend is out now buying one so we can try and see how he does. I'm confused cause the breeder had them in a smaller room. Definitely not as small as his crate but it wasn't much bigger but he was with his mom and his siblings so that's probably why.

Unfortunately I've tried that. Many many times. He cries the second the door closes. I could be standing right in front of him or leave and he'll cry regardless. It's not even a cry it's more of a you'd think I was cutting his legs off one by one cry haha I'm sure my neighbors love him by now.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
If he's that bad then I'd start with the door half closed, so he still feels the option to leave but isnt trapped and again work it more closed.
As frustrating as it is if this is something you've deemed a must for him to learn then the training will continue and the door will keep getting shut until he gets the big picture that he isn't going to die, or be left for the rest of his life.
He's still growing so it's possible he may just "get it" one day and have a change of heart towards the door being shut.
Mabel has always been a "light bulb" dog, not getting something for a long time then boom suddenly its like she's done it forever.
She hated the a-frame for weeks, but she kept getting ploped on the downward slope, eventually she realized if she just did it life went on and cookies abounded! Wow this is easy, i climb and this dumb girl gives me food! Pft ok! lets go.

I wish good luck, consistency, and will power to withstand him! on you ;) lol

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he's that bad then I'd start with the door half closed, so he still feels the option to leave but isnt trapped and again work it more closed.
As frustrating as it is if this is something you've deemed a must for him to learn then the training will continue and the door will keep getting shut until he gets the big picture that he isn't going to die, or be left for the rest of his life.
He's still growing so it's possible he may just "get it" one day and have a change of heart towards the door being shut.
Mabel has always been a "light bulb" dog, not getting something for a long time then boom suddenly its like she's done it forever.
She hated the a-frame for weeks, but she kept getting ploped on the downward slope, eventually she realized if she just did it life went on and cookies abounded! Wow this is easy, i climb and this dumb girl gives me food! Pft ok! lets go.

I wish good luck, consistency, and will power to withstand him! on you ;) lol
I seriously think that's what he thinks. That I'm leaving him forever. I could be ten feet away doing laundry and he acts like I'm never going to let him out haha it's ridiculous.

I would love him to be crate trained but if he's just never going to be that kind of dog I need to find another solution so my boyfriend and I can leave him alone if we have to run errands or he has to work or even just go to dinner and trust me if dogs we're allowed everywhere I'd be fine and I'd just bring him but their not so I need a another way since he's so hell bent on fighting me with the crate . Luckily I have stayed calm the whole time and he doesn't get a reaction out of me (which says a lot considering he's learned he gets a reaction if he bites me *bad mommy*)

He gets everything else so quickly when we do other training that's why im just like WTH how are you not getting this haha but I hope he's like Mabel and will figure it out.

Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I seriously think that's what he thinks. That I'm leaving him forever. I could be ten feet away doing laundry and he acts like I'm never going to let him out haha it's ridiculous.

I would love him to be crate trained but if he's just never going to be that kind of dog I need to find another solution so my boyfriend and I can leave him alone if we have to run errands or he has to work or even just go to dinner and trust me if dogs we're allowed everywhere I'd be fine and I'd just bring him but their not so I need a another way since he's so hell bent on fighting me with the crate . Luckily I have stayed calm the whole time and he doesn't get a reaction out of me (which says a lot considering he's learned he gets a reaction if he bites me *bad mommy*)

He gets everything else so quickly when we do other training that's why im just like WTH how are you not getting this haha but I hope he's like Mabel and will figure it out.

Thank you for your advice!
I think thats the biggest point to take away from this.

He's still growing, learning, and etc.... It could just be that right now is not going to work, not that you should stop trying, in two weeks he could be over this closed crate anxiety and think sweet, I get a break from mom.

The puppy I worked with and had the big problems wasn't started till around 16 weeks, and that was just going into a crate (granted it was a play cave as a puppy, but now it was with a name and because I said so) I started the closed door the next week and she still screams now, though not as long or bad, if she can see me because she wants to be touching me, but I ride it out, and when she's quite then she gets her reward, which for her is just to be loved on.
Meanwhile her sister that was kept is opposite, she's quite, but thats if I can get her in without walking her in.
(They're 9 months now btw)

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
I wonder if he's claustrophobic? I don't think it's very common, but it could be a consideration. Also, are you using a plastic airline kennel, or a wire crate? Have you tried switching the type of crate, and if you did, was the result the same? Do you feed him in his crate? I have to admit I've never watched the crate games video, but those are a few variables that I think might make a difference.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm still having trouble with crating myself. Whiskey screams bloody murder if there are people in the house and he's crated or if he's crated for more then about 4 hours at night. Bloody. Murder. He will also continue to scream and scream for an hour or better. I've never ever ever once taken him out of his crate when he was making all that noise and yet he still does it. So upsetting. He's gonna have a rude awakening when I go back to work in 7 weeks heh.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think thats the biggest point to take away from this.

He's still growing, learning, and etc.... It could just be that right now is not going to work, not that you should stop trying, in two weeks he could be over this closed crate anxiety and think sweet, I get a break from mom.

The puppy I worked with and had the big problems wasn't started till around 16 weeks, and that was just going into a crate (granted it was a play cave as a puppy, but now it was with a name and because I said so) I started the closed door the next week and she still screams now, though not as long or bad, if she can see me because she wants to be touching me, but I ride it out, and when she's quite then she gets her reward, which for her is just to be loved on.
Meanwhile her sister that was kept is opposite, she's quite, but thats if I can get her in without walking her in.
(They're 9 months now btw)
Yea I'm thinking that maybe its just not his time right now. I'm not sure. I hope he figures it out eventually and we'll try the baby gate so I can at least get something's done around the house.

You'd thnk he'd want a break from me and if he hides in his crate while he's sleeping I get bother him with kisses!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Gpig.. same thing here ;) SAME.exact.thing. She goes NUTS in the crate, despite every attempt I've made. Cry it out? She went two solid hours, just worked herself into a frenzy. Then she cries even louder and tries to crawl UP my leg when I let her out (I imagine shes letting me know how awful it was in there. Lol) Games, kikopup, all of it.. I could have written your posts!

Its heartbreaking to listen to her! We leave her in there whenever we leave the house, but we can't do it at night anymore. I know, I know.. its awful, but we NEED to sleep, and nobody sleeps when shes screaming like a banshee! Don't tell.. I keep her in our bed and set an alarm for every two hours and I take her out for potty. Its not ideal, but everyone is sleeping and potty training is going decent.

Anyways, no help here- just hugs and support. We'll get through this puppy gauntlet! :p

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if he's claustrophobic? I don't think it's very common, but it could be a consideration. Also, are you using a plastic airline kennel, or a wire crate? Have you tried switching the type of crate, and if you did, was the result the same? Do you feed him in his crate? I have to admit I've never watched the crate games video, but those are a few variables that I think might make a difference.
I never thought of that. I did Put a blanket over it cause I thought maybe he felt too exposed but that didn't make a difference at all. I've always used a wire crate but we could try a different one. I used to feed him in his crate but after he stopped eating he'd start up with the barking.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still having trouble with crating myself. Whiskey screams bloody murder if there are people in the house and he's crated or if he's crated for more then about 4 hours at night. Bloody. Murder. He will also continue to scream and scream for an hour or better. I've never ever ever once taken him out of his crate when he was making all that noise and yet he still does it. So upsetting. He's gonna have a rude awakening when I go back to work in 7 weeks heh.
I say we put them all in a room together and they can cry together haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gpig.. same thing here ;) SAME.exact.thing. She goes NUTS in the crate, despite every attempt I've made. Cry it out? She went two solid hours, just worked herself into a frenzy. Then she cries even louder and tries to crawl UP my leg when I let her out (I imagine shes letting me know how awful it was in there. Lol) Games, kikopup, all of it.. I could have written your posts!

Its heartbreaking to listen to her! We leave her in there whenever we leave the house, but we can't do it at night anymore. I know, I know.. its awful, but we NEED to sleep, and nobody sleeps when shes screaming like a banshee! Don't tell.. I keep her in our bed and set an alarm for every two hours and I take her out for potty. Its not ideal, but everyone is sleeping and potty training is going decent.

Anyways, no help here- just hugs and support. We'll get through this puppy gauntlet! :p
They can cry together and be pathetic together haha

One of the first days diesel got his jaw stuck in the crate scared me half to death cause I was like what if I had left! It was aweful he's never done that again since then though.

Diesel is allowed to sleep with us at night. All my dogs have always slept with me but they have also loved their crate.

I hope she gets better too. If not I'm sending Diesel to ou and they can just tell each other how horrible the crate is haha

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
hmmmm. This might be the issue with him and his crate. I would look into purchasing a vari kennel (plastic ones). You might find a used one on craigslist.

One of the first days diesel got his jaw stuck in the crate scared me half to death cause I was like what if I had left! It was aweful he's never done that again since then though.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmmmm. This might be the issue with him and his crate. I would look into purchasing a vari kennel (plastic ones). You might find a used one on craigslist.
That's true. It could be. I also just thought do you think he could smell that my lab and husky have both been in there?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Well, he might be able to smell the previous tenants. You could always clean it up with 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water solution. But I'd be more inclined to think he's associating the jaw stuck incident with an aversion to the wire crate.

That's true. It could be. I also just thought do you think he could smell that my lab and husky have both been in there?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts