Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often would u suggest I give my 5 mo. old a bath. If she's not muddy or anything, I don't want to dry out her skin. But, I don't want to do any more than I have to either, she's quite a load to lift into the tub.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner likes to roll in the dirt when he's outside so he gets bathed about once month. I use a very mild shampoo and make sure to rinse him out very well. I've never had an issue with dry skin or itching.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I would make sure she gets a few very fun baths when she is a puppy, just so she is used to it for later in life... but otherwise, my dogs only get bathed when they have rolled in poop, or if it's a hot day and I feel like getting wet and making the dogs smell nice :p

·
Registered
793 Posts
I wash Bella twice a week with a really good quality shampoo then I spray some mink oil to condition her coat. I wash the other three once a week. I'm a bit fanatical about having clean dogs. lol. Bella stinks really bad after a few days so she needs to be bathed twice a week. Surprising because she has such a short coat but honestly if I dont' wash her twice a week she will stink us out of a room. lol.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Twice per week? Wow, that's a lot. What are you feeding?

I wash Bella twice a week with a really good quality shampoo then I spray some mink oil to condition her coat. I wash the other three once a week. I'm a bit fanatical about having clean dogs. lol. Bella stinks really bad after a few days so she needs to be bathed twice a week. Surprising because she has such a short coat but honestly if I dont' wash her twice a week she will stink us out of a room. lol.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think I average every 12-15 weeks with Dreizehn. All of the dobermans I've known have had dry skin and they get dandruff if washed too much. Make sure you use a good shampoo and I always use a conditioner also.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've bathed Whiskey once other then when I had to bathe him with a special shampoo for his skin.

2 times a week seems extremely excessive to me and that's coming from a groomer... I guess that's unless your pup is still going to the bathroom in their crate.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Twice per week? Wow, that's a lot. What are you feeding?
I think twice a week is alot. Mink oil will not replace natural oils. I can understand the smell but the lack of natural oils and mink oil possibly clogging pores might be the cause of your nasal irritant.
I'm no vet, as in dog, hehehe but one thing I learned in the military during long winter exercises, if your body was dirty, you got cold faster because your pores for venting did not work as designed.
Now you can use this idea to help other things, when in observation posts and our slightest movement was not allowed we would cover ourself in a dust bathe to clog our pores so we wouldn't get eaten alive by mosquitoes .

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
In over 10 years, Amy was in the tub for a bath...only after a run-in with a skunk...lol

If she gets mud on her back, from scratching her back on the lawn...she with get wiped off with a wet towel.

Very occasionally, she will get a spray of diluted "Avon Skin-So-Soft" in a water bottle.
Our breeder told us, a decade ago, about using the Avon product and forgo the tubby bath.

She doesn't smell like some dogs do...on cheap food. Her coat is always very soft & shinny.
Amy is fed holistic/organic kibble plus two home cooked meals daily of meat/veggies &/or rice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think twice a week is alot. Mink oil will not replace natural oils. I can understand the smell but the lack of natural oils and mink oil possibly clogging pores might be the cause of your nasal irritant.
I'm no vet, as in dog, hehehe but one thing I learned in the military during long winter exercises, if your body was dirty, you got cold faster because your pores for venting did not work as designed.
Now you can use this idea to help other things, when in observation posts and our slightest movement was not allowed we would cover ourself in a dust bathe to clog our pores so we wouldn't get eaten alive by mosquitoes .
I feed her pro plan and I groomed for 12 years. If you have a dog with a good coat and you use a high quality natural shampoo, there is no coat damage. Her coat is very healthy and I spray the mink oil very sparingly not as a replacement to conditioner but it adds a nice sheen and it does topically condition it. Her coat is beautiful and so are my other three dogs and they get bathed once a week and have for as long as I have owned them. Two of our dogs get clipped every two weeks as well. I haven't had any problems with dry coats and we live in a very dry climate which you would think we would, but I guess we have just been lucky. I can't have a dirty dog climbing all over my furniture.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've bathed Whiskey once other then when I had to bathe him with a special shampoo for his skin.

2 times a week seems extremely excessive to me and that's coming from a groomer... I guess that's unless your pup is still going to the bathroom in their crate.
Whiskey groomer to groomer I'm sure you would agree, it does come down to the products you use, I wouldn't bathe her twice a week with a cheap shampoo, I use very high quality all natural shampoo and its a quick shower shes not soaking in the water for long periods of time. top to finish is about five minutes. in and out. shes gotten very used to it and she actually runs into the shower stall when I say bath time so I know she likes it. My other three hide from me when I make that announcement. lol. I think this one just likes the water.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
In case it'll help you to hear it more than once...

What discowhore said.

We've bathed Gracie twice, mostly because I didn't want her to be a year old or older before she had a bath.

As near as I can tell, if the skin's healthy, these dogs come pretty clean while playing in the hose if you towel them off afterwards. :)

Still, you never know when it'll be YOUR dog that finds poo to roll in or their first skunk just when you are expecting company.

·
Registered
793 Posts
In case it'll help you to hear it more than once...

What discowhore said.

We've bathed Gracie twice, mostly because I didn't want her to be a year old or older before she had a bath.

As near as I can tell, if the skin's healthy, these dogs come pretty clean while playing in the hose if you towel them off afterwards. :)

Still, you never know when it'll be YOUR dog that finds poo to roll in or their first skunk just when you are expecting company.
well I can't use a hose on her out here as my hose does not have softened water and its way too cold. The walk in shower is much easier and the water is warm and softened.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I can't use a hose on her out here as my hose does not have softened water and its way too cold. The walk in shower is much easier and the water is warm and softened.
Hummmmmm, good idea, use my walk in shower instead of the tub. I like that and it sounds so easy on my back. I'm glad most of u agree that it should be done only when needed. She never goes while in her cage (thank God) but no matter how clean I try to keep the yard she will find something to step in. I fill a bucket w water and a touch of soap and one at a time dunk her feet in and dry............. Thanks All:)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Rachael got a shower when she was nine months old because she was going to the National. Then, I think she go another one. Then, four years later she got another one. Then I took her to work and had someone in the grooming salon bathe her. So, thats what? Four times in eight years. She sleeps under the covers...

Skunk events get her drenched in OdorMute, but not bathed. Wayyy more of these than showers, unfortunately... too many to count LOL!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rachael got a shower when she was nine months old because she was going to the National. Then, I think she go another one. Then, four years later she got another one. Then I took her to work and had someone in the grooming salon bathe her. So, thats what? Four times in eight years. She sleeps under the covers...

Skunk events get her drenched in OdorMute, but not bathed. Wayyy more of these than showers, unfortunately... too many to count LOL!
That's terrible LOL:roflmao:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
IMO, doesn't matter if you use the best quality dog shampoo that's a lot of bathing!! You should have got a hairless breed..lol! Just kidding. They now make some good quality dry shampoo's that can be used between regular baths.

If I'm not showing Cash then they both only get a bath a couple of times a year. Sure they might be a little dirty. And yes that requires me to maybe clean more but I would rather do that than strip their natural oils from there skin.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader got more baths when he was a baby just so he'd be good when he was older. Now it is every few months unless he was rolling in dirt or something. He is ood for his baths. He is going o see Santa this weekend so he will get one on Saturday morning so he is all clean. He was rolling in the dead grass and dirt yesterday.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Yikes! I should have clarified.

We bathe her in the tub; I would never run cold water on a dog for a bath! I'm way too arthritic myself to be able to stand to even think about doing that.

She LOVES, though, to play in the hose. When it's 90+ degrees here in the central valley, that looks like a pretty good way to burn some energy (as it's way too hot to do anything else physical with your dog). We towel her before we go into the house afterwards.

She has control over how much water she chooses to get on her when playing in the hose. (Click to view video.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts