Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed Axel's eye just a few moments ago and one is starting to swell shut. It's all red and swollen and watery.

I've already called the vet, and I'll be bringing him in to see his vet in 2 hours.

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Aww, poor guy. Hope it's just something they can flush out!

Reactions: Axel's Mom

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,322 Posts
Owie!! Get better soon, Axel.

One of mine scratched his eye, but it didn't swell like that--the colored part of his eye (iris, is it?) looked odd with no pupil visible--strangest thing I've seen.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Axel is just sleeping now while we wait for the vet to get in to the office so we can go over there. Hopefully that means it's not hurting him too much.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Make sure it's okay with your vet first, but you should be able to flush his eye out, in the meantime, with sterile saline or a mild boric solution.

That way, if there's an easily-removable foreign body in there, he can get some measure of relief from the pain, while waiting to see his vet.

Props to you for getting him in as quickly as possible--when only one eye is involved, you have to immediately suspect trauma, and it's extremely time-sensitive, for a good outcome.

Vibes for the boy, hope the doc gets him feeling better in no time!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet looked at him and said it looked like a bee sting. No bleeding anywhere, just extreme swelling. The conjunctiva (if that's what it's called) was swollen to about 3x it's normal size.

Gave him a shot of anti-histamine, a steroid, and some ointment to put on his eye.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
The vet looked at him and said it looked like a bee sting. No bleeding anywhere, just extreme swelling. The conjunctiva (if that's what it's called) was swollen to about 3x it's normal size.

Gave him a shot of anti-histamine, a steroid, and some ointment to put on his eye.
Did he do a corneal stain, just to be sure?

Poor fella, hope he feels better soon.

Reactions: Axel's Mom
1 - 17 of 17 Posts