Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to put out a tiny brag to people who would understand why I'm excited :D

Yesterday.. the fire dept. that my parents are members of had a meet and greet community outreach kinda thing with two troops of 6 and 7 year old girl scouts. Lots of people, lots of noise, big trucks, sirens. I took Callie along.. and she did AMAZING! for the first part we stayed off on our own and did OB stuff and heeling while she could just listen to the goings on, but decided since she was taking it all in stride that we could go meet a few people (esp kids.. I really want her to like kids, and we don't have many around) and she did awesome! sat so calm for pets and loves! Highlight of it all was when they took the trucks and turned on the sirens- I was able to get a solid and sustained "watch me" from her. LOTS of treats and loves ensued :)

Today we did long-lead (30ft) work in the park. We ran and played and worked on recall. Shes doing so wonderfully! I don't think I'd ever let her fully off leash.. but its nice to know I'd have it in an emergency. The best part.. Hubby was helping, he was running and flailing his arms, acting so silly and calling her , so she ran towards him very excited, I was able to recall her halfway! She turned on a freakin' dime and RAN so fast towards me! I was so proud :) We threw a party for that.. so awesome! Wanted to end it on a high note and keep it fun so we went home after a few more rounds of ball.

Re-reading all this.. I guess I think the sun shines out my pup's rump.:roflmao: LOL but I'm just so excited about her progress! this is the first dog that I've really trained, and I'm loving it.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
That is SO fantastic! Congratulations!! You must be ridiculously giddy with pride and excitement. Ridiculous in your eyes, but so understandable in ours. :) And can I say WOOT on that recall? :D :nicejob:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Callie is a most wonderful, puppy.
The fire dept visit was a great socialization, for your girl...Congrats on the adventure.

With loud noises, I put my hand on Amys back, side or neck, all the time rubbing her fur...talk & rub, talk & rub......
- telling her "is OK / good girl"...and she trust just my loving touch and voice, to keep her safe
We also go to 4th of July fireworks at the park (walk around 1000 people & stop to see kids) car shows and weekend street fairs.

You clearly have an amazing bond, with your girl.
The more you practice off-leash (with hubby's help) the more Callie will absord the added freedom and responsibility.
I call this "rapid training" for success. She won't dissapoint her Mom, stretch your comfort boundaries, a little more.
Something I do with every puppy:
Go into a small woodlot, hide 100 ft away, and whistle and act nuts with voice and arms waving...long distance whistle recall / non visual.
When they learn this sh*t (LOL) at such a very young age, you are setting up their entire life, re. added trust.

I have a property in front of a city airport, and held a party once...free air show (snow birds).
When Amy was in the back yard, I bet a guy once that I could recall Amy without her seeing me and without the word "come".
- she did not disappoint me when she herd my whistle (comes running around the corner, all happy to see me)
- and I got a free bottle in the easy gamble

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Awesome!!!

:) have you been warned about dobes and their puberty stage?

it is the time when they forget everything you thought they knew. :)

good news is........it will come back to them..........sometime. :)

Hugz to Callie!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!!!

:) have you been warned about dobes and their puberty stage?

it is the time when they forget everything you thought they knew. :)

good news is........it will come back to them..........sometime. :)

Hugz to Callie!
I haven't... but I guess we'll just have to keep practicing through it!
I'm pretty sure I had a few years where any common sense I had learned went out the window ;) Its okay, it came back!

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something I do with every puppy:
Go into a small woodlot, hide 100 ft away, and whistle and act nuts with voice and arms waving...long distance whistle recall / non visual.
When they learn this sh*t (LOL) at such a very young age, you are setting up their entire life, re. added trust.
This sounds alot like what we call "puppy puzzles" in our search and rescue training. The "victim" runs away squealing and generally making a fool of themselves then goes quiet, and ducks around a corner. We wait a few seconds, then say "GO, Find!" The puppy runs to the "victim" and finds them, and we all throw a party and play tug and have cookies :) Callie's favorite game!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
This sounds alot like what we call "puppy puzzles" in our search and rescue training. The "victim" runs away squealing and generally making a fool of themselves then goes quiet, and ducks around a corner. We wait a few seconds, then say "GO, Find!" The puppy runs to the "victim" and finds them, and we all throw a party and play tug and have cookies :) Callie's favorite game!

longshot4me - Callie is a most wonderful dober pup / it is clear to me, she has a loving Mom...and thus a great head start.
- keep her precious photos coming, to please us older DT members...with no baby in our home, for a long time

"puppy puzzles" - this is what I need to learn much more about, to use with my next puppy.
- which I do, but looking for more variety in creative games
- this method of training, in a "fun game" is so motivating and the pup doesn't even know Mom &/or Dad is teaching them...He-He.
(sometimes we can think, we are smarter than our puppy)

OP and any one else, please chime in...WE all need to learn more puppy puzzles and intergrate, in our daily training plan !!
- any links available or more real life stories ??
Please Share / Share / Share.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know of any 'real life' stories of puppy puzzles, they're just what my SAR group uses as the very first building blocks to training a search dog.

She just loves them! Its so cool to see her brain work.. we've recently added two corners, and yesterday she put her nose to the ground to look! I was so darn proud. I could try to get a video of it next saturday at training- maybe with one of the more 'advanced' puppies that are doing it off leash and out in the woods.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ That sounds like fun Saturdays / love to see a video, of Callie and others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts