Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Would you say your dogs are aware of what is dangerous? I ask this because today Toby (Dobe) walked along the top of a terrace walls. (my farm and indeed all of the ones surrounding are built on the side of a mountain, the land is terraced with high stone walls holding back the earth). As Toby walked along the top of the terrace wall I saw it wobbling and called to him to come to me but before he could the wall collapsed. Luckily I was close enough to grab hold of his harness (he wears a K9 harness now whilst out for walks). Thankfully he was unhurt, but it made me think. Are dogs aware of what is dangerous? He didnt seem to be able to perceive the danger the wobbling wall meant and it could have been so horrible if he'd fallen down and the stones fallen on top of him.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Interesting idea. I have thought about this with Rowan before, but I figured it was just because he is a puppy and (like a child) has to learn about what is dangerous. However, I do think there is some instinct involved. For example, he is curious and will go closer to a fire, but once he feels the heat he will back off.

I bet temperament has something to do with it as well, as some dogs just seem to be innately less fearful/more bold than others.

ETA: I am glad Toby is OK!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think dogs remember from life experiences(such as what your dog experienced). But I don't think dogs have a genetic ability to read the hazards of inaniment objects.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mine don't know what's dangerous. There are things that make them uncomfortable, and therefore to them might be dangerous and scarey, but they don't innately know what's actually dangerous and what is not. Dogs seem to learn about 'danger' in relation to life experiences. At least, that seems to be the way it's gone with any of my dogs. They don't rationalize and generalize like we do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts